Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today ?

Mighty44

One Too Many
View attachment 541521

Royal Scot - Playfellow Featherweight

Very Light Bone Colored Lightweight Felt
4 1/2 Crown with Diamond/Circle Pattern Side/Top Vents
Corded Hat Band
2 3/16 Brim with tight rolled underwelt
Unreeded Sweatband.

I purchased this hat from Scott at Fine Vintage Fedoras and Restoration through his eBay store. And I’d like to say first off… this may be the first vintage hat I’ve purchased that was perfect right out of the box. It was expertly shaped and so clean I didn’t even feel the need to brush it. So a big thumbs up to Scott who also appears to sell sweatbands and other hat finishing items in his eBay and Etsy store.

Let’s see what we have here in the Royal Scot Playfellow Featherweight. I may have found the perfect South Florida summer felt hat. The felt is a thin lightweight felt in a bright bone color with diamond pattern vent holes on the sides and a circular vent pattern on top of its 4 1/2 inch unlined crown. The brim measures 2 3/16 to its tight rolled underwelt edge approximating a sort of Cavanagh edge look. And it is neatly finished with a corded hat band design that I initially thought was black.. but once in the sun is actually a very dark brown.

As I had suspected considering its unreeded sweat seems to have shrunken ever so slightly enough to fit my 6 7/8 to 7 head.. feeling about size 7. Though I imagine it would easily return to its 7 1/8 size if tugged on the noggin of someone in that size.

I am incredibly happy with this hat that I’m sure it will get plenty of use in our hot and humid South Florida “summer” climate.. which lasts mostly year round. My only concern is dirtying up this fabulous felt. Hats like these are further proof that lesser known hat makers in this era were turning out some high quality and interesting hats. Not having seen many other examples of this brand of hat makes it almost impossible for me to date its production, but I would say it is quite reminiscent of hat stylings and manufacturing in the 1930s. Any further experience that might nail it down would be greatly appreciated.
View attachment 541522 View attachment 541523 View attachment 541524 View attachment 541525 View attachment 541526 View attachment 541527
Love the vents!

Thanks sir.

That hat is plain cool. It has all the desirable features. The felt, hue and unreeded sweat make it spectacular. I do really appreciate the venting on the hat. The cording is not something I have seen a lot of and it works for this hat. Congrats on the new hat!

I tip my brim in a southerly direction towards you, Eric -
Thank you Eric. I am not sure if the cording is original to the hat but it definitely gives it a personality of its own.

wsmontana

A-List Customer
My family. This photo popped up in my Apple photos as happening 10 years ago today. My wife had 25 of these hats for a dance class that she taught back then. A sweet memory.

IMG_1068.jpeg

RBH

Bartender

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
Road tripping today with the Akubra Balmoral. It was a tough call not taking a felt but we’re supposed to be in the mid-nineties around here (34ish Celsius).

The Balmoral is a veteran road tripper: he’s been on four continents - including some dense jungle forays - and has held up like a champion.

Should be back home in early evening, hopefully with a clearer understanding of my long-term health challenges.

Have a great week friends.

IMG_8392.jpeg

IMG_8393.jpeg

Last edited:
C
Road tripping today with the Akubra Balmoral. It was a tough call not taking a felt but we’re supposed to be in the mid-nineties around here (34ish Celsius).

The Balmoral is a veteran road tripper: he’s been on four continents - including some dense jungle forays - and has held up like a champion.

Should be back home in early evening, hopefully with a clearer understanding of my long-term health challenges.

Have a great week friends.

View attachment 541956
View attachment 541957
Certainly not much the worse for wear after all its adventures. I hope the same for you, Nathan.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace