Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today ?

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
That wide ribbon is the icing on the cake, Nathan. Love it.

Fun bill of sale, too. Radnor is also a town in Wales. I have friends there.
Thanks Steve - it seems Europeans might have more brims at the 60 mm size but here in the standard measurement world 2-3/8 in is not one I run across often (or at least, maybe I don't recognize it yet, but I have started looking more closely).

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Another nice one in the collection, Nathan. I'm getting more attached to Dobbs hats myself.

While digging out stingies last week I ran across this Dobbs Twenty, which came to me very early in my hat collecting days.

I never could get under this hat until finally it got lost deep in the collection. But now that I know a bit more about shaping crowns and brims and have it more to my liking, I find myself reaching for it often.

A later model, this 1961 example even has a feather and the sweatband is very much on the narrow side. However, the felt is still impressive and my favorite feature is the 2-3/8 inch brim (giving my collection two with this sweet brim size).

View attachment 573915
View attachment 573916
View attachment 573917
View attachment 573918
View attachment 573919

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
I've had more issues with brittle liners on bowlers than with soft felt hats. I don't know if there is any cause and effect or if it is just the particular hats I have acquired.

Thanks. It did have a nice liner, but I destroyed it trying to clean a spot out of it.

A bit drizzly today so I went for a black CD.

20231226_104347_compress31.jpg
20231226_104350_compress35.jpg
20231226_104352_compress71.jpg

Then I remembered it was Boxing Day

20231226_131257_compress11.jpg

IMG_20231226_172956374_PORTRAIT_Original.jpeg
IMG_20231226_172957886 Copy.jpeg

1940s Stetson TAR - Mocha/Copper
3 1/2 Telescope “Brick” Crown (approx 5 1/2 open)
3/8 Copper Grosgrain Ribbon
2 7/8 brim with copper binding

One evening last week was about to doze off and the thought crossed my mind to check on the auction for this hat to see what it went for… figuring it had ended already. To my surprise I saw the final seconds were ticking away and threw in a quick winning bid. As TARs go this one ticks some “different” boxes with its telescoped “brick” crown with mule kicks in the front and back… the copper colored grosgrain ribbon and binding as well as that fabric looking reed materIal. In person the felt color is actually a bit darker than the sellers photos… more of a mocha or light chocolate milk coloring which is nice.

But now for the not so nice…. As much as I want too.. I’m not sure if I’m going to take to the crown shape. The telescoped brick shape takes up so much felt we endup with only a 3 1/2 inch crown and with the 2 7/8 brim… it’s all just a lot proportion wise. I will say the photos give it a more flattering look than it appears to my eye. Maybe it’s just me. Next.. in looking at the size/ reorder tags.. which are the red and orange variety.. I quickly saw the size labeled as 6 5/8!!! That’s a far cry from the size 7 listed on the auction. I can only assume it has become somewhat stretched over the years, as miraculously, it some how squeezed onto my head…. rather snuggly. If I go brim up it just looks like a child’s toy cowboy hat squeezed on top of my head… however brim down it is somewhat doable. There were also a few dark stains on the brim and crown that were not visible in the photos…. I was unable to brush away much from them.. which had me disappointed. then for some reason they kinda disappeared this afternoon. Maybe it was moisture… not sure. One has left a lighter spot near the bow… but much better than it looked this morning.

Time will tell if I can find my way to feeling comfortable with this one. Hoping not to change up the crown much.. I may see if I can keep the same shape but nudge up the telescope a quarter or half inch and play with the brim some. We shall see.

IMG_5618.jpeg
IMG_5619.jpeg
IMG_20231226_172938701_PORTRAIT_Original.jpeg
IMG_20231226_172859800_PORTRAIT_Original.jpeg

$JayJones50

New in Town
Thank you for the help with biltmore polar questions I had yesterday I’m still new at this .This one is The Knox player , I got this one for $25 but I know why I got it for that price. The sweatband is disintegrating and leaving black leather particles , the sweatband will be replaced soon . Still a great hat that needs some cleaning and some work . The felt is in between a western and dress raw edge and a pleated bow with a jaguar car pin still attached from previous owner .
IMG_2342.jpeg

I'm the baaaaad guy, duh:
View attachment 574083 View attachment 574084 View attachment 574085

Standard Quality Zephyr Weight Stetson.
That's a Wowzer, OF

View attachment 574099 View attachment 574100

1940s Stetson TAR - Mocha/Copper
3 1/2 Telescope “Brick” Crown (approx 5 1/2 open)
3/8 Copper Grosgrain Ribbon
2 7/8 brim with copper binding

One evening last week was about to doze off and the thought crossed my mind to check on the auction for this hat to see what it went for… figuring it had ended already. To my surprise I saw the final seconds were ticking away and threw in a quick winning bid. As TARs go this one ticks some “different” boxes with its telescoped “brick” crown with mule kicks in the front and back… the copper colored grosgrain ribbon and binding as well as that fabric looking reed materIal. In person the felt color is actually a bit darker than the sellers photos… more of a mocha or light chocolate milk coloring which is nice.

But now for the not so nice…. As much as I want too.. I’m not sure if I’m going to take to the crown shape. The telescoped brick shape takes up so much felt we endup with only a 3 1/2 inch crown and with the 2 7/8 brim… it’s all just a lot proportion wise. I will say the photos give it a more flattering look than it appears to my eye. Maybe it’s just me. Next.. in looking at the size/ reorder tags.. which are the red and orange variety.. I quickly saw the size labeled as 6 5/8!!! That’s a far cry from the size 7 listed on the auction. I can only assume it has become somewhat stretched over the years, as miraculously, it some how squeezed onto my head…. rather snuggly. If I go brim up it just looks like a child’s toy cowboy hat squeezed on top of my head… however brim down it is somewhat doable. There were also a few dark stains on the brim and crown that were not visible in the photos…. I was unable to brush away much from them.. which had me disappointed. then for some reason they kinda disappeared this afternoon. Maybe it was moisture… not sure. One has left a lighter spot near the bow… but much better than it looked this morning.

Time will tell if I can find my way to feeling comfortable with this one. Hoping not to change up the crown much.. I may see if I can keep the same shape but nudge up the telescope a quarter or half inch and play with the brim some. We shall see.

View attachment 574101 View attachment 574102 View attachment 574103 View attachment 574104
I really like the colors on that one, Joe.

$JayJones50

New in Town
Is the 1950's Bee Hat "The Chase" beaver blend in excellent condition a good hat to add to a collection?
I had a bee hat once it was really a cool trilby just didn’t fit right , I looked on the web not much on them last chase bee hat post was 06 on fedora lounge there was a chase on e-bay recently it is gone .

I really like the colors on that one, Joe.
Thank you Perry. If it weren’t for that.. it would definitely be going back based on the size error… but given the cool color scheme … I’m gonna do all I can to make it work. I do think I see some evidence the ribbon wasn’t original… but that is fine.

One heck of a black Stetson you have there today!

I had a bee hat once it was really a cool trilby just didn’t fit right , I looked on the web not much on them last chase bee hat post was 06 on fedora lounge there was a chase on e-bay recently it is gone .
I believe the only Bee Hats hat I’ ve had was an unusual two tone part wool part fur felt style. I do think they were a decent maker. Would have to see the hat in question to comment further

gilligan

One of the Regulars
Thanks so much Jay. This morning I just bought a 1950s Bee Hats "The Chaser" in 7 3/8, reblocked and cleaned in black for 30.00 on Ebay. Nice wider brim in the beaver felt. Nice looking hat with a super clean white liner with the neat looking logo. I thought for 30.00 bucks and 1950's, it seemed like a good buy.

$JayJones50

New in Town
I had a bee hat once it was really a cool trilby just didn’t fit right , I looked on the web not much on them last chase bee hat post was 06 on fedora lounge there was a chase on e-bay recently it is gone

Thanks so much Jay. This morning I just bought a 1950s Bee Hats "The Chaser" in 7 3/8, reblocked and cleaned in black for 30.00 on Ebay. Nice wider brim in the beaver felt. Nice looking hat with a super clean white liner with the neat looking logo. I thought for 30.00 bucks and 1950's, it seemed like a good buy.
30 bucks Is a great buy , congratulations on getting it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PerryShaw