Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What if WWII didn't happen

Thunderbolt

One of the Regulars
I don't know why, but I've been thinking about this lately. What if WWII didn't happen. Not just the U.S. involvement, but the whole thing. No invasion of Poland etc. I think some kind of stand off between Russia and the U.S. would have started as there was tension between the two before the war started if I'm not mistaken. So maybe the Cold War would have started earlier. I don't think jet engines would have become mainstream untill the 1960's. Nuclear weapons probably wouldn't have come out until the 1960's as well. These are all just guesses. I doubt that the 1950's would have been so futuristic with tailfins, rockets and jets influencing the auto industry. The would be no Israel right now. No U.N. Maybe Europe would have been on the path to unity sooner. Any ideas? Dissagreements?

Uberneot

New in Town
I think about these sort of "what if?" questions rather often. This particular one is so difficult, as WWII has been the cause for almost all major (and some not so major events) since it's end. Oddly enough, I don't think technology would be as advanced as it is, considering that so many of the innovations we use every day were created for the space program, which was a result of the cold war, which was a direct result of WWII. I also wonder what state Germany would be in. Would it still be economically crippled as it was after WWI? The situation was so desperate that some form of upheaval would have had to occur, but if not for Hitler and the Nazis, what could it have been? Who knows if the Atomic Bomb would have ever been invented? It's a fascinating and provocative question, and I'm anxious to see how others weigh in on it.

-Derek

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
women's liberation would not have happened so quickly. With the war they HAD to work men's jobs. If the war had not happened we may have had more housewives (which I would have no problem with). Maybe guys would give up their seats more often...

Mycroft

One Too Many
No more Europen Jews, Gypsys, Homosexuals, mentally challanged people, communists, and the other persicuted groups. Also, no computers, better use of raw materials, nylon, plastics, and other revelutionary materials.

Michaelson

One Too Many
I think the powder keg would have built up even more pressure in Europe, as you have to go even further back to the Treaty of Versalle (sp?) at the end of WW1 that left Germany in total, financial ruin. They were burning paper money in their stoves to keep warm as it had absolutely NO value in the open market, and there was no coal to burn for fuel. If it weren't the nazi's that had come to power to rebuild, it would have been the communists, and during that period of time, all were into expansion of territories, as NO one was satisfied with how the conquered territories were divided by the allies at the end of 1917.
So, WW2 was not just a single major event...but a product of MANY events that occured decades before it began in the late 30's.

Regards! Michaelson

Mycroft

One Too Many
Michaelson said:
I think the powder keg would have built up even more pressure in Europe, as you have to go even further back to the Treaty of Versalle (sp?) at the end of WW1 that left Germany in total, financial ruin. They were burning paper money in their stoves to keep warm as it had absolutely NO value in the open market, and there was no coal to burn for fuel. If it weren't the nazi's that had come to power to rebuild, it would have been the communists, and during that period of time, all were into expansion of territories, as NO one was satisfied with how the conquered territories were divided by the allies at the end of 1917.
So, WW2 was not just a single major event...but a product of MANY events that occured decades before it began in the late 30's.

Regards! Michaelson

I agree with that one. Well some historians theroize that the war it would be against the USSR if not against the nazis.

shamus

Suspended
there of course would be thousands of things we wouldn't have a would have.

A few big ones we wouldn't have are Marilyn Monroe, Israel, Space Travel, Einstein as we know him just to name a few...

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
A slightly different question...

I admit that this existential question is interesting to contemplate, but an even more interesting question in my mind is what would have happened had the *Fighter Boys* in the RAF not prevailed during the Battle of Britian? I have been doing a lot of research on that particular part of the conflict and I am astounded at how close the outcome really was. Had just a couple of days gone differently... the U.K. could have fallen. Where would we have been then?

Wild Root

Gone Home
shamus said:
A few big ones we wouldn't have are Marilyn Monroe...

Why wouldn't we have a Marilyn Monroe? Was she a product of post war America so much to say that she wouldn't have raised to stardom with out the war happening? No, I differ on that score. The pin-up model was very much a live in advertising art before the war. But, it did get a big time boost in the 40's from the service men. Boys will be boys war or no war! Norma Jeane I think was pretty before her metamorphoses into Monroe. But, that's just me. It seems things were a little more liberal after the war but, there was risqu?ɬ© material before WWII that was being circulated. A pretty girl will always rise to stardom no matter what happens.

I have thought about the "What if" and well, I think things would have taken longer to develop in some respects. But, I think the auto industry would have been a little different had the war not stop production and design of new model cars. Look at the cars in 1946 for one; they're the same cars from 42 just with slightly different grills and cosmetic details. Also, I believe that Television would have hit the market sooner then the 50's because it was introduced at the '39 NY World's Fair.

So, there was progress because of the war, and some things were put on hold and held back because of it. I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢m sure the A-Bomb would have been developed later if there wasn?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t a second world war but, maybe if we didn?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t invent it first, some one else would have and the US would have been in trouble sooner. Don?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t know.

I believe that every thing happens for a reason. WWII came at a point where the world was still recovering (or trying to) from the Great Depression and it gave the US a bit of a boost sort of speak.

WR.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
War brings out a lot of advances in the medical field.
WWII put us in step for the great social upheavals & awareness of the 60s.
The germans had rocket planes & jets at the end of WWII. FAr advanced over the american & russian technology, even years after th war had ended.
Without WWII, an atomic bomb mightve been delayed, but splittting the atom mightve even come about sooner.
Would Japan have become the giant of the cmaera industry? Would the germans still be the premier camera makers?
Without a doubt fashion wouldve been different w/o wartime limitations.

I dont know, might as well ask, if not for the StockCrash, would the flappers have kept flapping, keeping miniskirts in vogue ?

Hey, wasnt airconditioning sped along to prevent the mosquitos from spreading malaria in the WWII era?
-b

shamus

Suspended
as far as my marilyn history is...

She was discovered while working at an aircraft plant by a photographer as her husband was off to war. If no war, no aircraft plant employing women... Hense, no marilyn monroe.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Oh, interesting! I just found a photo of her working in said job.

radioplane_marilyn_1_500.jpg

Well, she may have been discovered later, but who knows for sure right? ;)

WR.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
MrBern said:
dont know, might as well ask, if not for the StockCrash, would the flappers have kept flapping, keeping miniskirts in vogue ?

Fashion would have been more along the lines that Paris had during the early occupation- long and full skirts rather than slim ones.

Flappers were out in the late 20's, and hemlines were already becoming near full length in 1928. But our approach was certainly made more sober in regards to the stock market crash. Most likely, rayon would not have been as embraced and cotton feed sack prints for dresses wouldn't have been as popular.

Thunderbolt

One of the Regulars
Renderking Fisk said:
With out World War II, we would be living in a "World Of Tommorow" Universe.
You mean like Sky Captain?
I think TV would have come on the market early in the 40's and the TV phenomenon of the 50's would have occured in the 40's. What about cars? 1948 seems to be the magic year when the auto industry took a drastic turn (better or worse you decide) and dropped the fat fenders for a more streamlined appearence. Maybe this would have occured in 1942 or 1943?

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
I don't think that WW2 not happening as it did would have changed the world to any great extent. A lot of the postwar trends were actually already getting started prior to the war (jet age, television, etc.) America was already poised to be a superpower, the only question was which other nations would also be one. A Nazi Europe, Soviet Russia or Imperial Japan could all be possibilities although Germany and Japan I think would be far more likely than Russia. Without WW2 the Soviet Union would probably have collapsed much sooner as it slowly would get edged out by stronger powers.

The war which really did change the world was the Great War. If World War I hadn't happened the world today would be DRASTICALLY different.

Renderking Fisk

Practically Family
Thunderbolt said:
You mean like Sky Captain?
I think TV would have come on the market early in the 40's and the TV phenomenon of the 50's would have occured in the 40's. What about cars? 1948 seems to be the magic year when the auto industry took a drastic turn (better or worse you decide) and dropped the fat fenders for a more streamlined appearence. Maybe this would have occured in 1942 or 1943?

Something did happen to Style after the end of World War II, didn't it? As we can understand, there was a new priority and perspective after the second world war and the begining of the Atomic Age.

Wild Root

Gone Home
What happened after WWII was V-J day. Heheh, Duh.

Just after WWII, every one was so happy it was over that started what is known as ?¢‚Ǩ?ìThe Baby boom?¢‚Ǩ?. Cars looked much the same from 1946-1948 and early 49. By the end of 49 there were cars that looked a little more modern but it wasn?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t till about 1954 or so that really new body styles started to emerge.

Yes, if you want to talk about TV, it was really invented in 1928. The very first television set was put together that started the medium. They were here and there in the 30?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s mostly in Europe and soon started to come out in the mid and late 30?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s. They were not being sold as much because the technology was lousy and there was nothing to watch on TV. The TV generation got its start in 1947 or so when some of the big radio corps started to make them. Emerson Radio was making Televisions in the mid to late 30?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s as well.

Any way, WWII happened and we learned from it. We learned good things and bad things.

WR

Uberneot

New in Town
One thing I thought of while I was pondering this today was, without WWII, I probably wouldn't exist. My Grandma and Grandad met as a direct result of my Grandad coming home from the war, (I don't know the exact circumstances but that's what I remember). No war--->Grandparents do not meet---> Mother not born---> No me. And now that I think about it, my GREAT Grandparents met in America after they fled Lithuania for fear of persecution (they were Jewish). They found out they had lived in the same town in the "old country" anyway :cool2:

I would think this probably applies to a lot of us here, particularly those who are the children of baby boomers. My parents are a little young to be boomers, but I still wouldn't exist! It's odd to think about.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy