Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is B-3 Jacket temperature comfort range?

miles_archer

Familiar Face
I am considering buying a B-3 bomber jacket most likely from Aero. I have read some of the threads about these jackets and found them to be very helpful but I was hoping some of the B-3 owners could tell me approximately what the comfortable temperature range for this jacket is. I am especially interested in how high the temp can get before the jacket proves uncomfortable. I live in Alabama so this is a determining consideration between the B-3 and a lighter jacket like the B-6. I really appreciate any light you can shed.

fishmeok

Vendor
I'd go for a B-6. The B-3 is uncomfortable above 30 degrees F if you are moving around (after all, it was made to be an outer layer at below -30).
Cheers
Mark

N2S3

New in Town
Higher than 2°C (34°F) try another jacket. B6 is hot too. Wouldn't wear it with higher temperatures.
Think B3 from 2°C down to -30°C, a B6 -10°C. Intermediates are right for those purposes, A-2 or Navy-Jacket.

Jedburgh

New in Town
I purchased an ELC B-3 several years ago and have only worn it a few times. Recently I was out and it was 46 degrees F with a wind chill of 31. As long as the wind was blowing and I was in the shade I was fine. If I was in the sun and/or the wind had stopped, I was burning up. So, I completely agree with the first 2 post that virtually anything above 30 degrees F will be too hot (and this was without heavy activity).
I really like the look of the jacket but unless I move to Alaska or Vermont, I am never going to get much wear out of it. I am considering a B-6 for this very reason.

JLStorm

Practically Family
I would say if the high temp is above 30F its to warm for a B3. Not only is the B3 very warm, but its also thick and bulky so unless very cold and you need to stay very warm the bulk simply isnt worth it.

Also as someone mentioned if your doing anything more than walking at a casual pace a B3 will be to warm unless your in sub zero temperatures.

To put it more simply, if the temperature is over 20F even in my cheap poor quality B3, I can wear only a Tshirt underneath and still be warm.

As far as temperatures being to cold...I dont think you will find any. Honestly I have been in temperatures as low as -20F (not counting the windchil) and not been cold.

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
LaLaLand report

i had to sell my authentic b-3 as well...i only got to wear it twice a year here in lalaland...it was at night, walking in santa monica, with a temperature of around 45 to 48 degrees...and i only had on a light shirt underneath...

too bad, it's a gorgeous jacket style, but more than the forty degrees range and it's likely too hoT

celtic

A-List Customer
this is one of only two occasions when my locale is wonderful... (upstate NY)

one occasion is the beauty of the trees in autumn.

the other is the distinct honor of having it cold enough to wear a B3 many times a year.

:)

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Now the Navy M-444 was supposedly an intermediate weight jacket, supposedly 1/4" deep fleece. However, my US Authentic '444 is closer to 3/8" depth, so what I have may be an "intermediate-heavy" jacket. Anyway, it's been out once or twice this fall, when the temp hovered around 35° with good windchill, and been mighty comfy with just a cordoroy shirt underneath.

It's also sized extra long, coming down to about the trouser crotch. And there's no 2-way zipper, so it goes into rolls like the Michelin Man when you get in the car. But hey! it's winter! And it was cheap off eBay.

fishmeok

Vendor
My U.S.Auth B-3 was mega long too (before I shortened it)- maybe the guys who made the pattern were all 6'3 with short arms:)
Cheers
Mark

miles_archer

Familiar Face
Thanks Guys.

You have been more helpful on this subject than the customer services from Aero and Eastman combined. I think I am going with an Aero B-3 with the lighter B-6 pile lining. It is a bit of an anachronism but being 6'4 and not of slight build I doubt anyone would be mistaking me for a B-24 bombardier any time soon anyway.

fishmeok

Vendor
I think that would be a good choice- it's 33 F, cloudy and windy here in the Twin Cites. I just came back in after wearing the B-3 out to play with the dog. After a few minutes of playing tug-of-war (the kind where you spin the border collie around until he lets go and see how far he flies) I had to unzip the jacket and let some cold air in to cool off...
Cheers
Mark

Imahomer

Practically Family
Boy after reading these posts, I'm going to have to scratch the B-3 off my list. I love being warm, but not roasting and it just doesn't get that cold in the Bay Area.

Too bad too because that is a great looking coat. :(

Jedburgh

New in Town
Bay Area

I lived in the Bay Area for a bit and never found use for anything more than an A-2. You would certainly roast in a B-3 unless you were on a motorcycle at midnight in San Francisco. Oh, and it would have to be winter. Yeah, speaking from experience on that one.

JLStorm

Practically Family
I think most people forget that these coats were built specifically for sub zero temperatures. Its just something that isnt thought of anymore unless you go to a specialty shop for arctic clothing, something like canada goose or similar. There are very few places where a B-3 could be regularly worn without overheating. Right now its 29 F and with the windchill it is 19 F. It is also a wet type of cold that just goes right through you, so it feels much colder than it is and still in a B3 I would be toasty with a Tshirt on...that is how warm these jackets are.

They are utterly impractical for any temperatures that would be to warm to freeze to death in without a heavy jacket.

fishmeok

Vendor
Speaking of which, it's 22 F here in the cities this morning, got to wear the B-3 over a very light sweater and my B-6 "gunners" cap- kept me nice and warm...
Cheers
Mark

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Anybody ever wear the pants in the cold? A-3, A-9, A-11, whatever? Any rib-tickling split shearling snow-up-the-butt anecdotes?

I have a pair of A-10 "mechanic's pants" coming. Like the A-9 with the patch pockets, except issued to groundcrew. No idea what the other diffs might be - perhaps no pocket for the O2 bottle?

JLStorm

Practically Family
Fletch said:
Anybody ever wear the pants in the cold? A-3, A-9, A-11, whatever? Any rib-tickling split shearling snow-up-the-butt anecdotes?

I have a pair of A-10 "mechanic's pants" coming. Like the A-9 with the patch pockets, except issued to groundcrew. No idea what the other diffs might be - perhaps no pocket for the O2 bottle?

I could not imagine walking around in those things. They would be nice for sitting on the deck watching the sun come up on a cold winter morning, but other than that, I doubt Id find much use.

Do you plan to use yours for anything?

celtic

A-List Customer
Fletch said:

i thought about getting a pair and wearing them with my b3 for motorcycling* but I ended up getting modern armored cordura goretex gear instead.

other than for motorcycling or snowsports I can't even imagine what you'd use them for?

*(you can't imagine how cold you get on an unfaired motorcycle in sub 30 degrees going 80+ MPH until you try it)

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Don't know about a use. I'm getting a B-10 and these were my size, so I snagged 'em.

Maybe I'll start tobogganing!
toboggan.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy