Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WHAT IS IT??

Bugsy

One Too Many
In a recent purchase from Ebay, I found the following two items in the package. There is obviously a right and a left, the elastic is adjustable, they are engraved on the front with the initials "R" and "S", and on the back they are engraved with "T. Goodonov" and "sterling". I have tired to figure out what these things are for. All I can think of is that were used to on the upper arm to keeps one's cuffs out of the way. Other than that, I don't have a clue. There is so much expertise in the Lounge, I thought perhaps some of you would recognize these things and tell me what they're for.
Thanks in advance to you all.

IMG_0488.jpg

IMG_0489.jpg

IMG_0490.jpg

Leading Edge

One of the Regulars
Bugsy said:
In a recent purchase from Ebay, I found the following two items in the package. There is obviously a right and a left, the elastic is adjustable, they are engraved on the front with the initials "R" and "S", and on the back they are engraved with "T. Goodonov" and "sterling". I have tired to figure out what these things are for. All I can think of is that were used to on the upper arm to keeps one's cuffs out of the way. Other than that, I don't have a clue. There is so much expertise in the Lounge, I thought perhaps some of you would recognize these things and tell me what they're for.
Thanks in advance to you all.

Knowing what they were packaged with might be helpful in determining their function.

Mike K.

One Too Many
My vote is for sock garter. Any reason why the sock couldn't have had a corresponding eyelet like this boot blousing?
Blousing%20Bands%201.jpg

Also, the S and R inscriptions...sinistro is the Latin root for "left." Anyone know of a language that uses S and R to designate left and right?

Bugsy

One Too Many
Mike K. said:
My vote is for sock garter. Any reason why the sock couldn't have had a corresponding eyelet like this boot blousing?
Blousing%20Bands%201.jpg

Also, the S and R inscriptions...sinistro is the Latin root for "left." Anyone know of a language that uses S and R to designate left and right?

A possibility to be sure.

Max Flash

One of the Regulars
They are, without a doubt, sock suspenders. The elastic would have been worn slightly higher on the leg than the top of the sock, with the metal part down the front of the leg. The sock would have been kept in place by the rolled part of the metal piece.

Max Flash

One of the Regulars
Mike K. said:

Left in Latin is "Sinistra" but the right would be "Dextra", therefore they would be marked S and D if that was the case. I expect they are the initials of the original owner (T. Goodonov may have been a subsequent owner) or manufacturer's mark.

Mike K.

One Too Many
Drew B said:
I'm goin to have to go with max on this. I mean, do sock garters really have a left and right? (Corect me if I'm a moron)
Well I'm no expert on sock garters, but it would seem to me that it would be preferable to tighten each garter by pulling in the same direction. But, I suppose that also has to do with the way the garters get threaded. [huh]

Bugsy

One Too Many
Mike K. said:
Well I'm no expert on sock garters, but it would seem to me that it would be preferable to tighten each garter by pulling in the same direction. But, I suppose that also has to do with the way the garters get threaded. [huh]

I'll have to experiment with the sock garter idea. The sock keeps slipping out of the "clasp". The way the things hold up sleeves works much better. In any event, I think I'll polish them up and add them to my collection of vintage "stuff". Thank you all. Keep the ideas coming.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24