Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Is There Left To Invent?

Gilbey

One of the Regulars
The 20th century has witnessed some of the most radical inventions that has forever changed our lifestyle. From the advent of electricity, to communication systems of the telegraph and telephone, transportation systems from horses to motorcars to flight that revolutionized the world in the past 100 years than any other time in the past. The space age in the 60's was but a sci-fi dream of the golden era turned reality that brought man to the moon and beyond. Life has never been easier. Convenience made living conditions more comfortable than ever.

Today's information age is an extension of existing technology to a higher plane. High tech gadgets like cell phones (now Iphones) once fictionalized by Star Trek are now excessively available to everyone. The world has never been smaller and more united than ever.

So what else do we need invented today?

A time machine perhaps to bring back our present technology to the golden era? What a dream that would be for the loungers. :D

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
I guess we'll find out tomorrow. :)

Everything that can be invented has been invented.

In 1899, then Patent Commissioner, Charles H. Duell reportedly announced that "everything that can be invented has been invented." Obviously, he is wrong.
- from Patent Law Blog

That's 1899!

Lee

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
A vacuum cleaner that features some sort of safe biological dirt digesting critters inside.

Recently invented and can't be ready soon enough: wireless electrically powered appliances. Why we're still fussing with power cords on stuff is mystifying.

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
HungaryTom said:
Matches - with heads on their opposite end!:eusa_doh:

Turn the box around. :D

LizzieMaine said:
A no-drip tea bag.

Soap that doesn't melt in the soap dish.

Self-repairing window screens.

Non-bunching feather pillows

I'm wondering how we can seal a tea bag without actually sealing it.
My oldest sister makes her own soap, and she's pretty close to acheiving that.
That is something we definitely need! Especially those of us with cats.
Some rancher will need to talk to his ducks about that one. :D

Lee

Foofoogal

Banned
I can think of a ton of things that need inventing like something to put on walls better than sheetrock.
I have an invention and even called a patent attorney but chickened out telling my invention as I didn't want them to steal it. lol
Tried for years to figure out how to bring it to market and who to approach with it.
Everytime I see that Great American Invention show or whatever I get mad.
I invented shaving cream for ladies a long time before someone else did. Missed that boat. :eusa_doh:

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
1. A cure for cancer and motor neurone diseases/damage
2. Living tissue regeneration
3. Electron neutrino-antineutrino space drive
4. Solid free-form fabricators - think of a tri-D fax machine that will enable people to manufacture everything from tableware to machine parts in their own homes from a computer design.
5. Cold plasma airfcraft defensive/cloaking shields
6. Applied anti-gravity in a vector field
7. Tri-D virtual reality simulation via atom lasers
8. Electric paper
9. Formcrete, a pliable construction matrix that can be shaped by electric fields before a hardening agent is added to the mixture
10. Silicon neuron network

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
gluegungeisha said:
I would say an in-car hot dog cooker and bun warmer...
but that's already been done.

What was it they said on South Park? Oh yeah! "Simpsons did it!!"

Homer also had a slushie machine, disco ball, fog machine, microwave, and goodness knows what else. lol

Lee

BegintheBeguine

That's following a train of thought.

A toilet seat that goes back down after my dad or husband finishes in there.
I am currently in a clinical trial to test a vaccine that will prevent the spread of a horrible world-wide disease, if it works. That might be more along the lines of development rather than invention.

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
Taking the train to the next stop . . .

A bathroom sink and counter that wipe themselves dry after my nephew or older brother have shaved or turned on the water for any reason.

Lee

Dixon Cannon

Here's a few things I'm working on...

- an electric dog polisher

- a fur lined sink

- a gasoline powered turtleneck sweater

(with apologies to Steve Martin c.1980) lol

-dixon cannon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members