Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is your favorite aircraft of all time?

Teekay44

One of the Regulars
F4F Wildcat

image02.jpg

Or a Huricane if I can't find a Wildcat.

But there is always the B-17......

KilroyCD

One Too Many
My favourite American aeroplane is one that is for all intents and purposes the Rodney Dangerfield (no respect) of aircraft, the P-39 Airacobra.
p39-13a.jpg

There was even a song written about it during the war (sung to the tune of "My Darling Clementine"):
My Darling 39

ln the cockpit of the Cobra
Trying hard to reach the line
But alas my engine faltered
Fare thee well my 39.

CHORUS: Oh my darling, oh my darling
Oh my darling 39
You are lost and gone forever
Fare thee well my 39.

When you're spinning very flatly
And you've got a worried mind
That's all brother. Hit the jumpsack
Bid farewell to your 39.

(Chorus)

All the brass hats in our Congress
They have signed the dotted line
They are lucky they just bought it
They don't fly the 39.

(Chorus)

Edw8ri

Familiar Face
Spits, Mustangs, who can argue with them, if you have to fight. But if I could own any plane used in WWII, it would not be one of the fighters. It would be a plane I could enjoy. It would be a plane that speaks to the lifestyle I would love. And although not a war plane, my choice did her bit during the big dust up. Naturally, I mean the Pan Am Clipper. Now that is one beautiful plane.

panamclipper_med.jpg

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
China Clipper Captain

Edw8ri said:
Spits, Mustangs, who can argue with them, if you have to fight. But if I could own any plane used in WWII, it would not be one of the fighters. It would be a plane I could enjoy. It would be a plane that speaks to the lifestyle I would love. And although not a war plane, my choice did her bit during the big dust up. Naturally, I mean the Pan Am Clipper. Now that is one beautiful plane.

panamclipper_med.jpg
I too was born to late! I know it lasted for such a short period in history but, Oh to have been a Pan AM China Clipper Captain!

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
KilroyCD said:
Oh, I'm with you on that as well, Smithy, as the Mk.I is one I like every bit as much as the Mk.XIV. I just couldn't find a very good photo of one to post this morning. :D

They are beautiful aren't they Kilroy ;)

A mate of my Dad's flew Spits throughout the war from '41 until '45 (including the Griffon engined jobs) and he always said the most sweetly balanced and powered were the Mk I and II. He had a soft spot for the Mk IX but he always said if you just wanted to fly a Spit then the I and II were it, and the II was just that little more sweeter with those extra horses.

IMHO, the most beautiful and evocative piece of machinery mankind has ever made.

Sgt Brown

One of the Regulars
It is very easy to be taken by the "standards", the Mustangs, the Spits, the Corsairs, the B17's, etc. and I would KILL for any one of them.

But for true uniqueness, I would have to look toward the aforementioned Brewster Buffalo, the A-20 and a couple others where there are, at present, no flying examples in existence. Imagine not only having a peach of a toy to play with but also the only one flying!

Tom

MPicciotto

Practically Family
I'll speak for a friend of mine who is an avid ww2 reenactor and also an aviator. Donnie says he'd like a PBY Catalina. That way besides having a warbird, he could carry his family and have bunks and a galley for them to stay in at air shows.

Matt

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Goose

You wanted flying boats! The Grumman Goose, still working for a living, in Alaska and Canada!
Goose.gif

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Keep Em Flying

Since this was my thread, I say there is no limit to the number of aircraft that you can post! Between the war planes are also acceptable, some of the best paint jobs ever. Sadly, I have found out by this thread that if I was Bill Gates I would be flat broke. I would have bought every plane you have all listed here, and probably all the ones you are going to post!

BaggyPants

Familiar Face
I always wanted a PBY Catalina as a kid. Saw a film where somebody lived in one and thought it was so cool. I'd have it in RAF coastal command livery, but with the inside converted into living quarters :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21