Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is your personal 'No-No' for makeup, hair, & wardrobe?

rue

*bump*

My no no's are:

wearing orange, because it looks strange on me
running shoes with normal clothes
empire waists after too many people asked if I was pregnant
glitter- it's for little girls not 40 year old women
colored eye shadow, blacks and browns are all I wear
skinny jeans
parkas unless I'm skiing
shirts that are skin tight

I'm sure there's more, but that's all I can think of right now.

W-D Forties

Practically Family
Ditto the orange. Also anthing empire line - every single time without fail I get asked if I am pregnant. Why do 'fashion gurus' insist they are flattering? After many failed attempts I now never wear hipsters, alas I have far too much hip and it hangs over the top
I never go without at least wearing eyebrow pencil. It frames the face and mine are too sparse, without it I'm sure I look like a boiled egg.

MariantheLibrarian

Familiar Face
I'm another "no orange" girl. I'm just too pink to wear it I guess-- that and yellow look odd on me.

-No empire waists
-No sweats
-No leggings as trousers
-No low-rise *anything*
-No Uggs
-No skinny jeans or jeggings
-No flats (makes me look stumpy)
-No banana clips or claw clips outside the house

I never leave the house without powder, mascara, eyebrow pencil, lipstick, and perfume. I think I have officially become my mother!

Rosie Main

New in Town
I am bothered by the summer heat more than most. I find the extra straps of material from suspenders just add insulation I don't need.

Now that would earn me some serious ridicule. I am content to be mocked for my suspenders (braces) and vests. Thought I do sometimes wear sock suspenders (or whatever they are called) with cotton lisle socks that don't stay up on their own, or with older socks whose elastic has given out. If any of my co-workers ever saw those, I would never hear the end of it.

Sock garters are so so sexy

Tallulah

New in Town
Reading these lists is inspiring... I have gotten lazy lazy lazy lately (too much work time).

1- although I am a nurse, I never wear scrubs. 'biz casual or a little more dressy.

2- no cable knits; they make me look like a ham stuffed in a sock.

3- ditto to NO glitter- my Niece wears it and looks like a lovely fairy child though

4- no poorly fitting or fitted bras

5- also ditto to no clothes with holes... especially undies :eeek:

HepKitty

One Too Many
No eyeliner on the lower lids, ever. Frightening shades of eye shadow are out (except when belly dancing but I don't perform much anymore). Never could do the smoky look but would like to learn it, again, no need if not performing. Black eyeliner on rare occasion, I think I look better with brown. Black mascara is fine though. Super low rise pants don't look good on anyone, especially when the back pockets are so low they're more on your legs than your cheeks. No PJs or laze-around-the-house wear in public. I look terrible with a tan. I need to stop bleaching my hair or pay someone to do a proper job of it, fine thin hair doesn't care for chemicals.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
No orange anywhere ever -- it's the ugliest colour, IMO.

No girdles or stockings -- yuck. Uncomfortable. I'm always messing with them and they make me feel self-conscience so I only wear them to "play."

No silly shoes. I can't stand uncomfortable feet. Not even for an "image."

No lipstick that isn't bright red. :)

No blue or purple florals -- reminds me of Thelma Harper.

No natural eyebrows. Mine are little sparse squiggles of blonde hairs and totally useless.

No "square" clothing. I have to have my waist and hips defined.

No "manly" clothing. *shudder*

No short haircuts.

No earrings. I have 5 holes in each ear (from those crazy 80s!), but I feel like a phony if I actually wear earrings. Not only that, but earrings make my ears burn within 10 minutes and I have to take them out anyway.

No body piercings. I had multiple piercings at one time. They are fine on others -- I feel like people won't take me seriously with them.

No ultra-low rise pants. Ugh. I recently tried on some pants that my underwear came up higher than. Mid-rise is fine. High-waisted is terrible on me unless they are made from a vintage pattern.

No "bootie" shoes. Shoes that cover my ankles make my legs look like tree-trunks.

No panyhose/tights/leggings. Just -- ICK. Unsightly bulges and excessive sweating are not my idea of comfort.

No purple. Makes me feel like Grimace lol

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
No browns
no pink next to my face
no frilly lace
no shoulder pads
no natural colored hair
another vote for "no orange"
no ballet flats
no thong or boy short panties

Penny Dreadful

One of the Regulars
Wow, I have more than I thought!

-No pants unless I'm at work or otherwise doing physical labor. I can't say it's not one of the reasons I'm looking for a new job.

-No flat hair, if I didn't get around to curling it I have to backcomb the hell out of it and even then I feel dumpy and wrong.

-No not-red hair. I love other colors and I've tried them, but they're so not me I just wanted to cry. In fact it was quite unreasonable of me!

-No stockings with runs in them

-No clothes that aren't fitted in the waist, and no pencil skirts without a good waist cincher underneath, or spanx at the very least on a lazy day. I'm also becoming quite addicted to belts. The curvier the better!

-No being bare-faced. My skin is too blotchy and even when I've tried going minimal I ended up putting a whole face of makeup on.

-No going out without perfume, and it's always some sort of natural sweet smell, like vanilla and cinnamon. I need it to feel complete, I even wear it to bed and my husband loves it :)

-No showing up on schedule for nail appointments, ever. (lol)

I Adore Film Noir

A-List Customer
No heavy foundation or eye makeup.
Jewelry - only an heirloom necklace.
No separates of different colors, I'm too tiny.
Comfy yet stylish shoes. The days of buying stilettos are gone forever.
No thongs.
Nothing purple, I even hate the word: poiple.

zombi

A-List Customer
NO foundation. Powder only is fine for me. And no baby pink lipsticks.

I also won't wear cropped trousers of any kind nor will I wear shorts unless I'm rock climbing.

Puzzicato

One Too Many
Ditto the orange. Also anthing empire line - every single time without fail I get asked if I am pregnant. Why do 'fashion gurus' insist they are flattering? After many failed attempts I now never wear hipsters, alas I have far too much hip and it hangs over the top
I never go without at least wearing eyebrow pencil. It frames the face and mine are too sparse, without it I'm sure I look like a boiled egg.

Likewise, except for the eyebrow pencil. I have fairly strong brows, so if I am not wearing other makeup I don't bother.

Also, a new one for me: No suffering for fashion! If I am not comfy I don't want to know.

Nine

New in Town
No pink, in make up or clothes, just doesn't suit
No peep toe shoes
No skirts without tights/stockings
Going out of the house without eyeliner and perfume
Dirty shoes, shoes should always be clean.
Not going out with a smile :)

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
No pink, in make up or clothes ...

I agree, pink is evil , no pink for me.

I do not like short, white, little socks like these, no, no, no ... not in any era. :rolleyes:

BOBBY-SOXER-CORBIS_1607750i.jpg

more recent .... this monstrosity called harem pants .... should be called nappy pants *yucky*
harem.jpg

crwritt

One Too Many
I do not like short, white, little socks like these, no, no, no ... not in any era. :rolleyes:

more recent .... this monstrosity called harem pants .... should be called nappy pants *yucky*

For me, no white anything, especially shoes or underwear. Socks included.
HadleyH, those "harem" pants look like she
put on a shirt accidentally thinking it was pants. The designer of those white strappy platform stilelttos should
be made to wear them forever, as punishment.

Shirin

A-List Customer
For me, No low cut pants (hip huggers), my booty will spill out the back at any bend of the knee!
No too-tight clothing... I want to hide the fat parts, not highlight them....
ditto for too-loose clothing as it makes you look even bigger!
No muted or "dusty" toned clothing, such as khaki, gold, sand, pebble, gray, mauve, etc....bring on the jewels and pure colors!
Also, no pastels! I look poo-ey in pastels! Though I can wear most pinks.
no skirts without stockings, I have too many defects (scars, bruises, veins) in my legs from being a tom-boy back in the day and having 2 kids.
Must wear eyebrow liner, can't go out in public without it, even if I have to put it on in the car at the stoplight.:)
Must wear concealer, and mascara at the very least.
Lipsticks, no shades darker than rasberry, no frosted types, nothing too shockingly bright, no purple tones.
Eye's, nothing yellow or gold, makes me look like I have jaundice. Nothing with a red tone. No blues either, at least I haven't found any complimentary tones yet.
No chipped or peeling nail polish. If its not perfect, I take it all off. Also, all the nails should be the same length or very, very close.
Must wear deodorant. No exceptions.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ