Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What katie did.... vintage lingere

countrybumpkin

New in Town
hi there,
I'm in serious need of a bra, acicdent which the tumble dryer shrunk one of mine and thread on the side has unraveled (only M&S cheapy though so no real loss though now I am down to two bras and one is a sports bra...ahhh!!).
anyone bought a what katie did bra are they true to size I am tempted but the price is high though if they are quality then its well worth it I guess. Also what shape did you go for I think the bullet bra may look a bit too promenant under clothes though i'm not ample busted to be honest. Also anyone bought any fabulous vintage lingere love to know.

Last edited:

scarlett

One of the Regulars
I ordered the demi cup and the bullet bra and sent them both back. Yes, the bullet bra was a bit too pointy for me. The demi was too small. I found the sizing to be on the smaller side and I think that is because there is no stretch. I did keep the garter belt. The bras and garter belts are very high quality. They do offer helpful fitting tips on the website and if you order something that doesn't fit correctly, they want you to take a pic wearing the bra and send it so they may get the right size for you.
I will be going to the newly opened store in Los Angeles as soon as I get a chance. I really do want a few really nice bras.

ThemThereEyes

One of the Regulars
You do want to measure and go by their sizing advice. I had to exchange my bullet bra because I figured it would be ok to stay with the size I'm used to, which is correct for what I've been buying. When I measured their way, I had to go down a band size and up a cup size. It fits well and I don't find it to be too pointy. They do have a design that's only slightly pointed.
I also bought a torsolette shaper by the bra size and it fits perfectly. In any case, email or call them. They have excellent customer service.

countrybumpkin

New in Town
hello there,
thanks for the advice ladies may have to order the same size as I am tempted by the Caberet bra and it looks a similar shape to an average bra with a slight point. Ohhh the torsolette looks soooo amazing 'themthereyes' which style did you go for, the blue and black lacy one is rather snazzy! Through as finances go I will have to settle with a replacement bra for now ooo cant wait! I think the bullet bra may look too exagerated on my smaller bust which is a shame but hey.

Drappa

One Too Many
I have their Harlow bra and my usual size fits me, but I rarely wear it as they are so very pointy (much pointier than my vintage bullet bras).
For everyday wear I am a big fan of Playtex Cross Your Heart bras and Doreen. Both fit like a glove, give a vintage shape, and are easily available. I've gotten some of mine for £2 or £5 new on Ebay!

countrybumpkin

New in Town
hi drappa yeah i see ive heard so many mixed reviews about the bullet bras they look fab (as i can see from the website) but what i want to know is what they look like under clothes ive been seaching around but no avail image wise. Apperently the CC09 bras from what katie did has a softer point but they still look pretty 'out there'. :) Ooo yeah those playtex bras look fab, what a bargin I could stock up about 5 for the price of one what katie did bra! whats the quality like?

Drappa

One Too Many
The quality is great, I wear mine a lot and it still looks new. I hand wash mine though.
The WKD bra I have looks a bit too pointy for me under any sort of knit or sweater top. With blouses or shirtwaisters it's not as bad. Depending on your size and shape you may also need to use pads/tips to compleyely fill it out.
Again, check Ebay as WKD sell overstock and discontinued items on there a bit cheaper than on their website.
For me though it's always Playtex and the Doreen over WKD.

countrybumpkin

New in Town
Last edited:

W-D Forties

Practically Family
I have a WKD bullet bra, looks lovely (I bought the bra pads to 'help'!) but I haven't had the bottle to wear it outside the house yet! I also have the CC09 bra which isn't as pointy. It doesn't stretch around the body like a modern bra does so it can feel a little tight and it's also not padded at all, and as I'm not terribly well endowed, again, I wear it less than my modern bras. I bought it for authenticity at 40's events and I wear it for that.

I can highly recommend their other wares, I have quite a bit and they're lovely - their service is impeccable too.

Juliet

A-List Customer
I need some help. :)

I'd like to order the Harlow bullet bra, but I'm rather unsure about the cupsize. I usually wear a German and Euro 75E, 80DD (whichever I can find!). Now I've read that at What Katie Did, you go down a cup, but, understandably, I don't want to end up spilling out of my bra! :)
Any experience or advice?

Last edited:

scarlett

One of the Regulars
Juliet, I would call or email the fitting dept on the site. They are very helpful and quick to respond. Exchanges are quick and easy too.

ThemThereEyes

One of the Regulars
I'm not familiar with those sizes, but I know you measure, pulling the tape snug but not tight, just under the breasts at the widest part and add 4 or 5 inches to get the band size. I found I am 34, although by modern bra US sizing I am 36. They said that if you end up having to go down a band size with them, you also go up a cup size. In my case, I wear a WKD bullet bra 34DD.

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
Tell me about it! If I had the dosh, and actually had a hope in Hades of going on holiday anytime in the near future, I'd nab that one in a N.Y. second!

Juliet

A-List Customer
All right, so here's a review. I received the bra a while back, but I thought I'd give it a week's wear first :)
I had to order through Mio Destino Lingerie, because WKD charges a 50 pound delivery to Hungary, but the customer service at WKD was very helpful at figuring out sizes.
On to the bra! I did stick with Harlow bullet one.
My very first thought upon putting on the bra was - "Where have my breasts gone?!!!". No, really, at a WKD 36 DD/E, it was suddenly as if I had only half of my chest left :D . The shape was unusal at first, I'll admit, but I figured out a day later - the band wasn't directly under my breasts, just as I was used to with my former bras. When I realy fitted everything in place - hello, Jane Russel cleavage! :D I don't even notice the shape now, and I've been since to a trouser fitting and my seamstress didn't comment on the shape at all!
I wish the cups were just a tiny bit larger, but it's all right as it is. It's definitely THE MOST comfortable bra I've ever worn. The band does not slip upwards in the back, the straps don't chafe, and I do believe my shoulders are less tired these days.

Overall, I'm extremely happy with bra, and I'm definitely sticking to it and other WKD lingerie.

Last edited:

countrybumpkin

New in Town
Ah yes I have just ordered the swoons worthy WKD swimming cossie Ooo I cannot wait!. Failed to pick up the guts and order a WKD bra yet but have recently purchased a lovely satin 1940s/30s number in the post now very impractical for everyday wear I must admit but we will have to wait and see.... will post a picture of it (minus me you'll be pleased to know) but I hope it fits my flat expanse of chest which I have.... I need some shape in that department!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails