Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What katie did.... vintage lingere

MissNathalieVintage

Practically Family
I got my bullet (What Katie did) bra and I adore it. It does take some time to get use to. The first time I wore mine everything got a bit higher. Just like what a modern push up bra would do. Except there are no pads, under ware, or stretch. The fit was fine, It enhanced what I already have. I don't need the pads and a little bit of wrinkles is okay. And very real to what some ladies wore in the past. However, the bullet bra. I learned is meant to be worn with loose fitted tops/dresses to fill in the emptiness. There is a 1940's dress I ware and its embarrassing to ware with all the fabric in front. Thanks to a blog post written by By Gum By Golly http://blog.bygumbygolly.com/2011/10/adventures-in-recreating-1940s-bust.html I finally understand why I have been having so much trouble finding the right bra to fit and why I looked so flat and empty in a modern. Now I can chose to go with a real 1940's repo bra.

Last edited:

ThemThereEyes

One of the Regulars
Isn't it comfortable?
I was unsure, at first, how comfortable it would be, but it is one of the most comfortable bras I have evr tried. Glad you can wear those dresses with ease now. :)
I got my bullet (What Katie did) bra and I adore it. It does take some time to get use to. The first time I wore mine everything got a bit higher. Just like what a modern push up bra would do. Except there are no pads, under ware, or stretch. The fit was fine, It enhanced what I already have. I don't need the pads and a little bit of wrinkles is okay. And very real to what some ladies wore in the past. However, the bullet bra. I learned is meant to be worn with loose fitted tops/dresses to fill in the emptiness. There is a 1940's dress I ware and its embarrassing to ware with all the fabric in front. Thanks to a blog post written by By Gum By Golly http://blog.bygumbygolly.com/2011/10/adventures-in-recreating-1940s-bust.html I finally understand why I have been having so much trouble finding the right bra to fit and why I looked so flat and empty in a modern. Now I can chose to go with a real 1940's repo bra.

lynseyshaw

New in Town
Hello ladies

I joined this site specifically to ask about 30s/40s lingerie, so I have followed this thread with interest :)

My one concern about period bras is the bust support that you get from them. I am quite, let's say 'full' in that department and I am paranoid about not having enough support. Is anyone comfortable commenting on that?

If there are other lingerie threads, could someone point me in the right direction. I don't like starting duplicate posts.

Best

Lynz x

Juliet

A-List Customer
lynseyshaw, since I had absolutely the same concerns, I'll answer that gladly :)
I'm a 36F in What Kaite Did measurements and I've always had trouble with adequate back support with modern bras, with the back strap riding up to my neck and the shoulder straps cutting in like hell. (Excuse me).
So I was understandably worried, when ordering the Harlow bra. But it holds like a dream. It's very, very, very unusual at first. It makes your breasts seem smaller, if you're full-chested. The shape is different (but more flattering, I find). But the back support is absolutely the best. It is hands down the most comfortable bra I've ever owned.

I have a few issues with seams coming loose, hoewver, I'm willing to conribute it to factory fault, since everyone praises the WKD quality.

lynseyshaw

New in Town
Thank you very much for your honesty Juliet! I was thinking of getting the Harlow bra, as it seems the most day-to-day. No point in dressing like a burlesque star when I am going to cover it with modern clothes :)

Kishtu

Practically Family
I have to confess here.... I bought a WKD longline bra from their Amazon store and it is probably the most appallingly-fitting garment I have ever come across. The two halves of the cup don't quite marry up so there is a really prominent "overhang" and I usually wear a 36D - this is a 38C and I'm having to tuck most of my bosom underneath the cup.

I bought the thing 3 years ago, sadly, and then went off and had a baby - otherwise it would be on its way straight back. (And no, it isn't because my weight has fluctuated - my bust is actually smaller now than before I was expecting Will!)

I've bought other things from WKD and I loved them, I just found the bullet bra to be a really weird fit on me.

Warden

One Too Many
We are rather chuffed about this, but tonight (Wednesday 27/3/13) at 7pm (UK time) Katie Thomas (What Katie Did) will be on Harry & Edna on the Wireless, chatting to Edna about the things that natter.

Broadcast across the world via the Internet, to listen, click on the link below

http://www.homefrontfriends.org.uk/wireless/

Toodle Pip

Harry & Edna

W-D Forties

Practically Family
Your longline bra probably doesn't fit you because it's too small! It's too big in the body and too small in the cup, you have gone up and down (if you know what I mean!)

I must say that I'm a recent convert to the Doreen after I saw it recomended here. They are brilliant - great shape,really supportive and comfortable and amazingly robust. The longline version is amazing - I look like I have gone down a dress size!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner