Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What men think of women's hairdo's

Foofoogal

Banned
I have always believed most men love womens hair long. Stringy long hair is awful but thick trimmed deadends hair can be stunning.

My avatar is of my Aunt Ola Mae. She had about 8 wealthy husbands and had flaming red hair. She was an interior decorator by trade. Maybe it is the redheads after all. Wonder if there will be a rush to get red hair from the FL now.

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
I can tell you that me husband is obsessed with redheads.(Lucky for me)Every shade from carrot top to coca-cola red.As for hairstyles,he's torn between a short pixie, medium length Rita inspired do,Bettie Page,and anything with victory rolls.Oh,and almost every hairstyle sported by Gwen Stephani.Oddly,he has an aversion to bobs.Which happens to be my favorite.

RIOT

Practically Family
MaryDeluxe said:
Mr Riot... please tell me what they say about redheads??? :D

Mmmm.. Fiery Feisty! ;)

Reds, Blondes, Brunettes, they all get my attention equally. But I have to admit, you know that Candyman video, well it was the Redhead that got my heart a thumpin' faster than my breathe could catch up to. *HOWL*

RetroBabydoll

A-List Customer
pgoat said:
Here's one theory: I dated exactly one girl who wore makeup. One kiss (well, may be a couple, anyway) was all it took to convince me I don't like it....i prefer the taste of skin to estee lauder....yecch!*yucky*

I think some guys might like the look of makeup as a change of pace if nothing else, but maybe prefer a more natural look in their significant other...

Then again, what the hell do i know?:p

So you like the look of makeup....just not the taste of it? :D

RetroBabydoll

A-List Customer
LadyStardust said:
As a blonde, got to say, this thread is pretty disheartening to read.:confused:

agreed. I'm just happy I have a guy that loves blondes. I asked my boyfriend if I should color my hair red and he wanted me to stay blonde. I personally love Maureen O'hara's color hair. Her hair color is amazing!

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Um.... has he SEEN your avatar picture???:eek:
Nikki
rubyredlocks said:
I can tell you that me husband is obsessed with redheads.(Lucky for me)Oddly,he has an aversion to bobs.Which happens to be my favorite.

Edward

Bartender
PolkaDotMeggie said:
If I were a guy, all I would want is something soft and be able to run fingers through it. It's funny.... when I ask my husband if he liked my new color and style, he always says "of course" and he'd love it no matter how it looks.

But god forbid a woman "let herself go" and not do anything fancy with herself then the man in her life makes a huff about it! Some men (not specifically anyone on the FL) want us to be natural and not worry about how we look.... but then make comments when we don't loook up to their standards (like all -few- ex's of mine). Why is that?

Men, eh? And they say it's women that don't know their own minds! lol

Paisley said:
Some men don't know what "natural" looks like. I once told someone that I used some 27 products; he said he thought I was just naturally beautiful. :) So, "natural" looking might mean moderate makeup and a hairstyle that doesn't use a lot of pins or gel. A "natural" looking girl might spend over an hour applying foundation and straightening or waving her hair.

Considering that some wives get up early to put on their face and do their hair, a man could go his whole life without seeing a woman with no makeup and no hair product.

That reminds me of a song about a dog. ;)

Pink Dahlia said:
I was gonna say...

You, my dear, have fabulous hair (not to mention an incredibly sexy scowl!). ;)

catsmeow said:
Let's hear it for the RAVEN HAIRED LADIES!!

Dear me, yes - just like Bettie. :)

pgoat

One Too Many
RetroBabydoll said:
So you like the look of makeup....just not the taste of it? :D

The look is fine, especially on other women. But never the taste, so I'm glad my wife doesn't wear any.

Having said that, she's never looked more beautiful than on our wedding day, when she allowed her family members to go to town with makeup, clothes, jewelry, etc. (She's not what you'd call a girly-girl!:D )

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
ohairas said:
Um.... has he SEEN your avatar picture???:eek:
Nikki

Yes,and he loved the eye makeup and the butterflies pinned in.(He's a sucker for the oddest details)So,apparently if I dress it up it's okay.Of course,I rarely listen to him.:D

Pilotguy299

One of the Regulars
just my thoughts about hair color & style

ohairas said:
I saw a post recently where a gent said he doesn't usually "notice" women's hairstyles. :eek:
So, for those who DO, what do you like and dislike? ....

After reading the comments some of the ladies have made, I'm almost afraid to say this, but it needs saying.

There really isn't one hair color or style, it kinda depends on the lady involved. Now yes I'll admit I've been intrigued by certain redheads, blondes and brunettes, but it's usually been because of the total appearance more than anything else. Maybe a bit more of a liking for longer hair, but even that really depends.

For example, I've seen my wife with her natural hair color and dyed. Even now 20 years later when we are both showing some gray, I really think she looks better natural. She used to wear it just below the shoulder and a really attractive part that would hang a little over her right eye, boy do I miss that! Anyway, it's a little shorter now than i really like, but I don't think she'd look very good with it mid-back length either.

Now I have a friend at work who's a redhead and she's very attractive. Kinda like Claire Danes in Terminator 3. But I dont think she'd look as good if she were a brunette or a blonde. Her hair is actually about the same length as my wife's and it fits her perfectly. I've seen it longer like my wife used to have many years ago, and it just doesn't look as good.

In contrast, a nurse i used to date had bright red hair and was a borderline punk, with the short cut and everything. I've seen pics of her when she had longer & straight hair and it just didn't look as good on her.

But then there's Kari Byron from MythBusters. Completely right color and hair length (for her) http://a583.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/80/l_29332c4ec553379d2dc97e86343d32de.jpg and http://a87.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/61/l_2c478615865dd014d4445d70e810512e.jpg

My daughter used to have very very long brownish hair that had golden tips just below her waist line (OMG it looked so great on her). She now wears it a little below shoulder length and although she still looks great, the longer look fit her better.

Another friend of mine (ok she's really a crush I have) has mid-length blonde hair and it works well on her. Longer or shorter wouldn't fit, nor would a different color.

Similarly, and to point someone out in particular, I think that RetroBabyDoll looks fantastic as a blonde, and the hair length is perfect for her (IMHO). But I'm not sure I'd say the same if she goes redhead like she says she might try.

I also like the contrast in PinkDahlia's hair, or at least in the avatar she has for her current forum postings. And I like MaryDeluxe's hair color as well. I saw one young lady at walmart the other day with dark hair with a few red streaks and all I can say is WOW! Fit her perfectly.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it isn't just a particular color, length or style. It's how it fits on you and who's doing the looking.

And so the ladies don't think this is only a female issue, us guys have some of the same thoughts about our hair (especially facial). A few months ago I asked the wife, my co worker, my daughter, my crush, and a few others if they thought I looked better clean shaved, little stubble, mustache, goatee, or fully bearded. talk about a variety of answers. I even had one say it depended on where we would be together and what we'd be doing. Talk about confusing! [huh]

Anthony

Joli7211

Familiar Face
Josephine said:
I henna, can I sit on the redhead bench? My soul is a redhead! :D

:lol: I once had my hair coloured red a few years back (I still do it every once in a while..). My then husband asked if I was going to change my personality to match my hair colour. Off the cuff (a very rare occasion in my case...) I answered that "No, I won't change to match my colour, my colour is changing to match me!" Two weeks later, I asked him about it and he said that I was right... I hadn't changed a bit, but my hair colour better expressed who I was. :D

Joli7211

Familiar Face
ohairas said:
I think most women *think* that most men prefer blondes, as they all want to be one. The majority of my clients anyway. Seems many are afraid of red.
Nikki

lol It took me 15 years to find a hairdresser to colour my hair red! Nobody dared, they all said I'd make a better blonde. I finally made a deal with my hairdresser, I'd try blond if in 6 weeks she'd try red on me. We did. She said never go blond again! Shortly after that going red became more popular.:p :rolleyes:

RedHotRidinHood

Practically Family
I just have to comment here...when I read the initial post, I figured blondes would get all the attention, because that just always seems to be how it is, and that's cool, but what with all the surprising pro-redhead comments, it just made me smile! When I was growing up, I got all the "carrot-top" teasing anyone could ever wish for, so it's nice to see a little redhead love happening. I've always loved my redheadedness, and I do think we stand out just a bit more. BUT-before anyone climbs on my case about it-PilotGuy299 really pegs it when he says it's the lady and how she carries it, not so much the color. I can totally get behind that. That said, Daddy says he loves my hair down and curly, but he also knows how much work that takes, so he savors it when he can. He likes long hair the best, and so do I.

I always retorted back to the dumb people who made fun of me: "but the tops of carrots are green, aren't they?" lol

RedHotRidinHood

Practically Family
RIOT said:
Mmmm.. Fiery Feisty! ;)

You know it, darlin'. Everything they say and whisper behind the backs of their hands is true. Robert Heinlein says redheads are descended from cats, and in my own case I know that it's true! MEOW!

gpwpat

Familiar Face
In my opinion we are only getting a small sampeling here, since we all like some respect or fassion, we are into details. I for one am very detail oriented. I pay attention from the hair all the way down to the tips of the toes. But my best friend could care less. He thinks fassion is a waist of time and money. Yet while on vacation in Tahoe, during a discussion between my wife and his it was learned that she probably yearns for him to pay more attention to her details. Since he doesn't, she dresses in jeans and a oversized T. Where my wife who I have been with since Highschool going on 16 years, it seems has gone from cult tastic as a teen, to now full fassioned Glam. And Wow I could stare at her and into her eyes all day.

As for hair since I am a detail oriented person, I like all kinds, My wife has naturlly curly dirty blond almost light brown hair. She is lucky, and constatly asked how she curled her hair. But she did nothing but shower it.

However I like blondes, even fake blonds but not overly fake, Yep red heads too, even brunets. I am not partial to hair color, just as long as it looks like a nice style that goes with the rest of the package. brushed straight and frizzy doesn't work for me. Some times I wish my wife would try different colors, or styles, but she doesn't like messing up a good thing. sometimes she will spend hrs trying to straighten her hair. While others are trying to curl theirs.

The grass is always greener so it seems.

nyx

One of the Regulars
My hair used to be long and straight, naturally, but after chemo it grew in curly. I actually really like the length it's at now (right past my shoulders) and the curl allows me to do really nice pageboys that stay in. That's my favorite easy hairdo. Pin curls are so time consuming, as are rolls for me, because of my hair is fine. I just like the sleek waves of the pageboy.

But I do appreciate ladies who can do complicated curls and rolls. I always seem to have flyaways, etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn