Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What modern invention/innovation do you wish had *never* been developed?

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
As a Christian it saddens me to hear of people going around misrepresenting Christ and acting hatefully like this. The message of Christianity is not that Christians are better than everyone else and that we should go around hate mongering against anyone who isn't one of us. The message is that we're nothing more than sinners saved by the undeserved grace of God, and that as we are loved, so we should love others as Christ loved us. As Jesus said, "He who is forgiven much loves much."

We are told to "live such good lives among the pagans that though though they may accuse you of doing wrong they will see your good deeds and glorify Christ on the day he returns". You convert people by living like Christ, not by lambasting and harassing them about how they're going to Hell (though sometimes there are times when you must call a spade a spade).

Very sad.

The key is that these people (they are a small and vocal group, and I am only so familiar with them because they have chosen my place of work as one of their "targets") don't even like Christians that are not of their specific persuasion. So, for example, if you are a Christian who doesn't go to their brand of church, you're as bad as a non-Christian, if not worse. If you're a Christian who is tolerant or supports gay marriage, you're a "Christian" who is worshiping a "false god."

I only know these things because A. They carry signs, B. They yell at people in obnoxious tones, and C. I was once corned by one of them. They apparently have gone outside of churches and other places of worship at service times, but I have never experienced that and it is just something that I heard.

I've known a number of people in my life who have witnessed publicly by handing out literature, etc. and been polite about it. These hateful people are like a whole different species.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
As a Christian it saddens me to hear of people going around misrepresenting Christ and acting hatefully like this. The message of Christianity is not that Christians are better than everyone else and that we should go around hate mongering against anyone who isn't one of us. The message is that we're nothing more than sinners saved by the undeserved grace of God, and that as we are loved, so we should love others as Christ loved us. As Jesus said, "He who is forgiven much loves much."

We are told to "live such good lives among the pagans that though though they may accuse you of doing wrong they will see your good deeds and glorify Christ on the day he returns". You convert people by living like Christ, not by lambasting and harassing them about how they're going to Hell (though sometimes there are times when you must call a spade a spade).

Very sad.

You've said it well, G & C. Christians are to spread "the Good News" with conviction and truth (and, yes, you do need to mention sin and heaven/hell), but with respect and LOVE. As regards Chick publications, their product unfortunately does not always lend itself to this methodology (although I do like the old "Holy Joe" Vietnam tract), and that is what often turns people off. We also need believers who are better educated in theology, and are better able to articulate the true Gospel of Jesus. Sorry for being a bit off topic...

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Originally Posted by Widebrim

I presume that you are referring to its "modern" use, rather than how it was employed at its inception. Held-held cameras were used very effectively in the late-'40s/early-'50s in films like Body and Soul and The Set-Up. Their usage today, however, often denigrates the art of cinematography...[
QUOTE=LizzieMaine;1547153]Exactly. That jiggle-jiggle-swish-swish "Oooh, lookit this ruff-an'-raw found-footage effect I learned how to do in film school, ain't I the most artistic little thing?" effect. A picture from a few years back called "Rachel Getting Married" was the worst thing I'd ever seen along these lines -- I was physically unable to watch it without getting sick, and that's an dangerous thing when you're running the projector.

You have to admit though, in the hands of a master like Spielberg it works to great effect. I cite 'Saving Private Ryan' as the great example - hand held cameras gave the impression of newreel or combat cameraman footage. In the scenes where it was used, it worked perfectly to convey the terror and the intensity of the moment. I think with the advent of video recorders, handi-cams, and cell fone footage, the technique is used now to replicate what newer/younger audiences have grown up with viewing on their own TV and computer screens. The film 'Cloverfield' come to mind as that type of presentation.

-dixon cannon[/QUOTE]

Agree 100%, D.C.

nice hat dude!

One Too Many
You've said it well, G & C. Christians are to spread "the Good News" with conviction and truth (and, yes, you do need to mention sin and heaven/hell), but with respect and LOVE. As regards Chick publications, their product unfortunately does not always lend itself to this methodology (although I do like the old "Holy Joe" Vietnam tract), and that is what often turns people off. We also need believers who are better educated in theology, and are better able to articulate the true Gospel of Jesus. Sorry for being a bit off topic...

Just to add to that It's ok to get up in arms about homosexual rights,abortion ect. but how dare we say anything about Jesus???

Bruce Wayne

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You have to admit though, in the hands of a master like Spielberg it works to great effect. I cite 'Saving Private Ryan' as the great example - hand held cameras gave the impression of newreel or combat cameraman footage. In the scenes where it was used, it worked perfectly to convey the terror and the intensity of the moment. I think with the advent of video recorders, handi-cams, and cell fone footage, the technique is used now to replicate what newer/younger audiences have grown up with viewing on their own TV and computer screens. The film 'Cloverfield' come to mind as that type of presentation.

-dixon cannon

Don't forget the shower scene in Psycho.

Last edited:

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
I'll agree with the cell phone.
I'm required to have one at work too, and keep it on at all times.
I also have a habit of silencing the ringer when I'm speaking to someone, if it's an emergency they'll call back or leave a message. :)

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
Just to add to that It's ok to get up in arms about homosexual rights,abortion ect. but how dare we say anything about Jesus???

If I read your comment correctly, you're pointing out the hypocrisy of people who loudly proclaim their fundamental right to promote abortion or the gay lifestyle, but loudly trounce anyone trying to publicly proclaim their faith in Jesus. Ain't that the sad truth.

You have 100% freedom of speech, unless you're a Christian.

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
...These hateful people are like a whole different species.

People like the ones you describe always remind me of Jesus' own words in Matthew 7:

[SUP]21 [/SUP]“Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven. [SUP]22 [/SUP]Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’ [SUP]23 [/SUP]And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!’

Edward

Bartender
If I read your comment correctly, you're pointing out the hypocrisy of people who loudly proclaim their fundamental right to promote abortion or the gay lifestyle, but loudly trounce anyone trying to publicly proclaim their faith in Jesus. Ain't that the sad truth.

This rather cuts both ways. I've seen all sorts of people howling discrimination because the law dares to deny them the freedom to discriminate against others.

You have 100% freedom of speech, unless you're a Christian.

Never been my experience. Though I suspect rather presumptive of what "a Christian" is.

Of course, as a technical matter of law, everyone has the freedom to express themselves, just not the freedom to evade any legal consequences of that expression.

As much as it pangs me to say it, video games. Fun but a huge waste of time. Agree on cell phones. I'll add social media, facebook games, online dating websites, and light beer.

This one is emerging but will likely happen soon... the complete disappearance of physical media when it comes to video games, music, video, or any other type of intellectual property. Download a video game? Well you don't own that you are only leasing it. Not connected to the internet sorry you can't play it. What that game is only half done, well pay an extra $5 for downloadable content (dlc). It is already happening and it will likely keep on coming.

Last edited:
This rather cuts both ways. I've seen all sorts of people howling discrimination because the law dares to deny them the freedom to discriminate against others.

Never been my experience. Though I suspect rather presumptive of what "a Christian" is.

Of course, as a technical matter of law, everyone has the freedom to express themselves, just not the freedom to evade any legal consequences of that expression.

The squeaky wheel gets the most grease.

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family

It sounds like you may be alluding to the typically conflated understanding of what "discrimination" is. Many people confuse discernment with discrimination and claim that taking a moral stand on an issue is automatically equivalent to discrimination, which it definitely is not.

Taking the view that the practice of homosexuality, for example, is ungodly and sinful in nature is not discrimination.

Refusing to give someone a job that they are otherwise the best candidiate for purely because they are gay (and any other similar practice) is discrimination and is and well ought to be illegal.

The issue of abortion is a far knottier issue which is not purely a morality question, but for fear of completely derailing the topic at hand, namely modern stuff we wish wasn't invented, I will reserve any comment on that issue for another time and place.

Edward

Bartender
I went coast-to-coast on a Greyhound bus twice in the early '80s, long before the days of personal electronics, and I found the best way to keep the freaks and nut cases away was to carry a supply of fringe religious publications, which I would very visibly read at every stop. Nobody wanted to sit next to me for fear of being proselytized, and I was able to ride all the way to California and back with the whole seat to myself.

Friend of mine's mother used to be plagued by cold callers on the phone, until she started to respond to every one with "I would love to haer about your kind offer, but first let me tell you about my Jesus...". They no longer call her. lol

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Friend of mine's mother used to be plagued by cold callers on the phone, until she started to respond to every one with "I would love to haer about your kind offer, but first let me tell you about my Jesus...". They no longer call her. lol

It does seem to be an effective way to expedite the process! (LOL) [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DOGshQXyaU [/video]

-dixon cannon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart