Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What modern invention/innovation do you wish had *never* been developed?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
You see overalls and coveralls all the time here, but they're worn by lobstermen, carpenters, mechanics, farmers, and others who wear them to stay warm and keep their real clothes clean while working. Said garments are usually dirty and smellly and are most assuredly *not* "leisurewear."

You see overalls and coveralls all the time here, but they're worn by lobstermen, carpenters, mechanics, farmers, and others who wear them to stay warm and keep their real clothes clean while working. Said garments are usually dirty and smellly and are most assuredly *not* "leisurewear."

They're used as dresswear around here. It's what you put on to take your date to the Catfish House on Friday night.

OK...admit it...which one of you is this?

70s+jumpsuit.jpg

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
My household is probably the test case for old appliances. lol lol A stove still working since my grandfather bought it in 1958, a freezer in the garage that my grandfather bought in 1976, various oster blenders, old toasters, toaster oven, 1950s blenders, 1950s waffle irons, 1950s hot plates in the summer house and a host of other things that all I have had to do was keep them clean. My outlay for appliances---absolutely nothing. Everything here just continues to work just fine for over 30 to 50 years. Now THAT is a quality appliance.
wish I could say that for the modern TVs, DVDs, cell phones etc.....:doh:

I have a cork screw that still works after being passed down from my great grandmother, and a flip open side toaster....it is so old, when you flip it open it says, "Hello George, are we winning against them red coats yet"?

Light bulbs...the original ones some are still working after all this time, Edison made them to last....now the ones you buy do have a life expectancy.....a short one at best.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
You mean like this one? Yes, this is yours truly in a Vegas-era besequined gaberdine jumpsuit. I used to occasionally perform as an Elvis Presley tribute artist.
167003_10150369570545077_8010928_n.jpg
OH Lord...wow! So you get the suit but I have to ask this...My Husband demands it...where oh where do you keep your wallet ????????LOL!

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
OH Lord...wow! So you get the suit but I have to ask this...My Husband demands it...where oh where do you keep your wallet ????????LOL!

You keep it in your boot if you have to have it on you. Those suits do not come with pockets!

One additional note on the suit: It's the only true professionally bespoke suit I've ever owned, made by a company off the original patterns (altered to my own measurements, of course) purchased from Elvis' own jumpsuit tailors. It also cost more than the rest of my entire wardrobe combined.

You keep it in your boot if you have to have it on you. Those suits do not come with pockets!

One additional note on the suit: It's the only true professionally bespoke suit I've ever owned, made by a company off the original patterns (altered to my own measurements, of course) purchased from Elvis' own jumpsuit tailors. It also cost more than the rest of my entire wardrobe combined.

Well you have something to wear for Halloween, at least :p

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I'll be very happy when the phrase "to die for" dies a long-deserved death. It's been annoying me since the mid-eighties, and even after all that time I can't hear it spoken without hearing it in the voice of a smarmy, insincere, feathered-haired, feather-headed fashion commentator on a cheap, syndicated daytime TV talk show. It's bad enough to hear it spoken, but seeing in print, in publications presumably written and edited by and for grown-ups, is beyond endurance.

I'll be very happy when the phrase "to die for" dies a long-deserved death. It's been annoying me since the mid-eighties, and even after all that time I can't hear it spoken without hearing it in the voice of a smarmy, insincere, feathered-haired, feather-headed fashion commentator on a cheap, syndicated daytime TV talk show. It's bad enough to hear it spoken, but seeing in print, in publications presumably written and edited by and for grown-ups, is beyond endurance.

The vast majority of the stuff they're fawning over isn't even worth getting mildly inconvenienced for.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW