Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What modern invention/innovation do you wish had *never* been developed?

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Glitter flip flops?????

The vast majority of the stuff they're fawning over isn't even worth getting mildly inconvenienced for.

Did not some gold glitter flip flops worn by some half baked drugged out wanna be actress have the noted saying, they were to ...well...haha lol pass away for...?

The "to die for" should ONLY have been attached to a new James Bond movie....or should be buried without dignity. Same with "Mad Men" and "Gatsby" which have been pounded upon the World from wanna be fashion statements attached to things for sale on the internet....any worn out worthless hat for sale is labeled Mad Men or Gatsby....and more than not, the item does not even "fit" in the time era. It does at times have a good purpose (for us here) at least in our household, as when we are peeking at things on the internet that are for sale, when we see those titles, "Mad Men or Gatsby", we skip them already knowing the item is most likely merely junk!

There is only one part of our life in our family that the "to die for" has any real meaning, and that is both myself and my Husband would without hesitation, be willing "to die for"...OUR Country!

...The "to die for" should ONLY have been attached to a new James Bond movie....or should be buried without dignity. Same with "Mad Men" and "Gatsby" which have been pounded upon the World from wanna be fashion statements attached to things for sale on the internet....any worn out worthless hat for sale is labeled Mad Men or Gatsby....and more than not, the item does not even "fit" in the time era. It does at times have a good purpose (for us here) at least in our household, as when we are peeking at things on the internet that are for sale, when we see those titles, "Mad Men or Gatsby", we skip them already knowing the item is most likely merely junk!
"There's a sucker born every minute."
David Hannum

F. J.

One of the Regulars
I'll be very happy when the phrase "to die for" dies a long-deserved death. It's been annoying me since the mid-eighties, and even after all that time I can't hear it spoken without hearing it in the voice of a smarmy, insincere, feathered-haired, feather-headed fashion commentator on a cheap, syndicated daytime TV talk show. It's bad enough to hear it spoken, but seeing in print, in publications presumably written and edited by and for grown-ups, is beyond endurance.

That reminds me of when I was a kid.
I once asked my father why cemeteries always had fences around them.

His answer?
"Well, because there's so many people dying to get in."
:drum:

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
The phrase, "Can anyone not live with that?" It's usually uttered at public forums, ostensibly to create accommodation and finality as regards a plan of action, but is often used as a way of quieting anybody who disagrees. After all, who is normally going to say, "I can't live with that!" without looking like a heel? (Although now when I hear the phrase, I say something like, "That's not the question you should be asking.")

The phrase, "Can anyone not live with that?" It's usually uttered at public forums, ostensibly to create accommodation and finality as regards a plan of action, but is often used as a way of quieting anybody who disagrees. After all, who is normally going to say, "I can't live with that!" without looking like a heel? (Although now when I hear the phrase, I say something like, "That's not the question you should be asking.")

I can't live with that---and I MEAN it. :p

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
I'll be very happy when the phrase "to die for" dies a long-deserved death. It's been annoying me since the mid-eighties, and even after all that time I can't hear it spoken without hearing it in the voice of a smarmy, insincere, feathered-haired, feather-headed fashion commentator on a cheap, syndicated daytime TV talk show. It's bad enough to hear it spoken, but seeing in print, in publications presumably written and edited by and for grown-ups, is beyond endurance.
I'm not particularly Macho these days, but no man should ever utter those words!

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
This is one thing I would not miss in the least on the internet!
grammar_police_mug_zpsc696ccc9.jpg

I'll be very happy when the phrase "to die for" dies a long-deserved death. It's been annoying me since the mid-eighties, and even after all that time I can't hear it spoken without hearing it in the voice of a smarmy, insincere, feathered-haired, feather-headed fashion commentator on a cheap, syndicated daytime TV talk show.

Geesh, don't remind me! My Mom was addicted to Home Shopping Network and had ordered tons of clothes from them, almost all of which she never wore! After she passed away I found much of it in her closet still in the original boxes, complete with the tags and even the invoice. :doh:

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I'll be happy when people learn what the word "literally" means.

Agreed.

This is one thing I would not miss in the least on the internet!
grammar_police_mug_zpsc696ccc9.jpg

I love that badge, but it should say: "To Correct and Serve"

If we're on about grammar and stuff at the moment, one of my pet peeves is 'of'.

Honestly it's embarrassing. I see it all the time.

"He should of done that".

"He could of bought that".

"She might of come over but then she would of had to find a babysitter and that could of interrupted her savings for her trip which she might of taken with her husband".

OW. MY HEAD. OW.

Go back to school and learn basic English. PLEASE.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
I think should've is correct :) I had a friend (in the UK of course) who's surname was Pratt who had it legally changed due to pisstaking. He was a pratt too!

F. J.

One of the Regulars
1912-59 Flag . . .

[...]
I see the flag not just as a symbol of what was, but what could have been. I fly a 48-star flag, not because it's the flag of the Era, but because it was the flag under which the foundations for much of what we take for granted today was won, thru the shed blood of the working class. But I never, ever forget that was also the flag under which the Bonus Army was routed, and the flag carried by National Guardsmen who were used to brutally suppress strikes all over New England in the mid-thirties, and the flag carried by Americans who beat and mobbed other Americans during 1940 and 1941 simply because they refused to salute that flag.

Such people tried to take that flag away from people like me and turn it into a symbol of oppression, but by the strength of the common people they couldn't do it. I fly that flag today as a reminder that it can be used as a weapon for evil as well as for good -- and to never assume that those waving it necessarily have my best interests at heart.

LizzieMaine,

Where do you get 48-star flags? I haven't really been able to find them online.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda