Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What time period would you live in, and where, if you had to for one year?

What time period would you live in?

• Total voters
As I type this, I'm watching a few episodes of the Brady Bunch.

:p

1175661_201661870009479_1053711091_n.jpg

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
Southern California, 1962. Not as it really was but as it was portrayed in TV, movies, magazines, and surf music.

And me, 16, not as I really was but smart, good looking, athletic, with rich indulgent parents.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
I forgot to mention averse to soap too. :p
Maynard was dealt with.
Because he didn't work, he was shipped to a desert island, via a 3 hour tour.

In thinking about this thread today, and viewing several early 60's movies, I realized that people still took care of themselves and their property back then. Today? I can look around my neighborhood and see some people's parents failed to instill this virtue in them.
Of course if people were responsible like I just said, I'd be out of a job. My agency is responsible for "reminding" people how to keep up their property, or properly build things in a manner they should know (if they call themselves a contractor). I guess it's a good thing society has slacked a bit. I have years worth of work because of it. ;)
IMHO somewhere around the late 70s' (from my memory but I was really young then) society started getting away from responsibility for their own self and items (property, cars, clothes, job, etc).
Even though I like the 70's, towards the end of it I'd have to request a transfer to the early 60's, if I'm allowed to do that.

Maynard was dealt with.
Because he didn't work, he was shipped to a desert island, via a 3 hour tour.

In thinking about this thread today, and viewing several early 60's movies, I realized that people still took care of themselves and their property back then. Today? I can look around my neighborhood and see some people's parents failed to instill this virtue in them.
Of course if people were responsible like I just said, I'd be out of a job. My agency is responsible for "reminding" people how to keep up their property, or properly build things in a manner they should know (if they call themselves a contractor). I guess it's a good thing society has slacked a bit. I have years worth of work because of it. ;)
IMHO somewhere around the late 70s' (from my memory but I was really young then) society started getting away from responsibility for their own self and items (property, cars, clothes, job, etc).
Even though I like the 70's, towards the end of it I'd have to request a transfer to the early 60's, if I'm allowed to do that.

No. You have to stay in the 70s with the hippies. :p

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
No. You have to stay in the 70s with the hippies. :p
Bummer...man.
As long as I don't have to fondue anything.
We did that when I was a kid, almost caught the card table on fire, and caused my puppy (she was 12wks old) to go under the couch for safety.
BTW do they make Tuffskins in adult sizes? Oh wait, those are called Carhart. ;)
Silly me, I didn't read the "for a year" rider on this agreement.
I could stay in the 70's for a year, but no longer.

Last edited:

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Tuffskins?! Oh geez, I remember those.....:doh:
I wore those!
Which is why I'm familiar with them.
An era that had shag carpet, bean bags, The Brady Bunch, Lincoln Mark III, and Queen at their peak is still dear to me.
I know bellbottoms, paisleys, wide ties, the gas crisis, and the Gremlin are down sides to it.
Especially the Gremlin.
But each decade has their mistakes.

facade

A-List Customer
While a one year vacation in some bygone era would be nice, I chose the last decade for practical reasons. I would be alive in the 60's and I would therefore be able to influence my own future for the better.

I wore those!
Which is why I'm familiar with them.
An era that had shag carpet, bean bags, The Brady Bunch, Lincoln Mark III, and Queen at their peak is still dear to me.
I know bellbottoms, paisleys, wide ties, the gas crisis, and the Gremlin are down sides to it.
Especially the Gremlin.
But each decade has their mistakes.

Those damned jeans. The stupid rubber tag that said tough skins was the first thing to go---ironically. :p
All of those things you mentioned and a lot more are reasons why I don't want to go back there. :p
No decade has as many mistakes as the 70s. From clothing to politics---it stunk.

Ah, the Lincoln Mark III. The seventies, cosmetically, not mechanically was the ultimate in luxury for automobiles. The peak of the Brougham era.

Mechanically they were ok. Cosmetically they were fat and understyled. The 80s brought around the mechanically useless luxury car due to CAFE standards etc. Fortunately they eased near the end of the decade and some of those are powered ok. I like the Broughams from the 80s styling better than the fat, round weird opera window things they had in the 70s and believe me, I know because I own one. :p Now if you want both then you go to the later 50s and early 60s versions. :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy