Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What time period would you live in, and where, if you had to for one year?

What time period would you live in?

• Total voters
The automotive history of the '70s :p

hagerty_ford_pinto.jpg

FordPinto2.jpg

image004.gif

AMC_Pacer_1975-1978.jpg

Lemons1.jpg

Yes, there were very few good looking cars in the 70s. :p Some of the sports cars weren't so bad though:
Mach-1.jpg

Maynard was dealt with.
Because he didn't work, he was shipped to a desert island, via a 3 hour tour...
He wasn't shipped there, he sabotaged the S.S. Minnow so that he could live the rest of his life relaxing on a deserted island. Why else do you think he screwed up every rescue plan? :D

...No decade has as many mistakes as the 70s. From clothing to politics---it stunk.
I'd love to respond to this, but political discussions are frowned upon.

I love opera windows, opera lamps, burlwood dashboards, button tufted seats, vinyl tops, hood ornaments, white walls, spoke wheels/hubcaps, and all those goodies.

Mechanically they were ok. Cosmetically they were fat and understyled. The 80s brought around the mechanically useless luxury car due to CAFE standards etc. Fortunately they eased near the end of the decade and some of those are powered ok. I like the Broughams from the 80s styling better than the fat, round weird opera window things they had in the 70s and believe me, I know because I own one. :p Now if you want both then you go to the later 50s and early 60s versions. :p

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Tom that was the height of the Brougham era, and the Mark III was a great example.
To move that much weight, the 1970 model had 365hp. If you had the money for the car, you had the money to feed that engine.
Back then the car even had anti-lock brakes, and rosewood in the interior.
Yeah, the Pinto was a bad idea, and the Pacer, and the Gremlin, and even the weird electric car.

I love opera windows, opera lamps, burlwood dashboards, button tufted seats, vinyl tops, hood ornaments, white walls, spoke wheels/hubcaps, and all those goodies.

Then you love the 70s junk that they were putting out. I won't argue with the engines but the cosmetics?! The burlwood was fake. They cut out real wood in the 60s. Opera lamps are a pain in the butt to change the bulbs in where they are. Hood ornaments are a concept older than the 70s, so are white walls and spoke wheels. :p
Vinyl hippie tops just attracted rust. Just ask me how big the holes are in my 75 Eldorado. :doh: Vinyl tops are for Carriages like the original Broughams where it was used to cover and water proof wood roofs that don't rust. I have seen so many messed up cars because of the vinyl that I have grown to hate them with a passion. :p

Tom that was the height of the Brougham era, and the Mark III was a great example.
To move that much weight, the 1970 model had 365hp. If you had the money for the car, you had the money to feed that engine.
Back then the car even had anti-lock brakes, and rosewood in the interior.
Yeah, the Pinto was a bad idea, and the Pacer, and the Gremlin, and even the weird electric car.

Hmmm...

No contest. The 70s was a styling toilet bowl.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
What about Suede for a top?
I saw that on Car Crazy today.
John Wayne had several station wagons for his family, but needed the roof raised in order to get in them (while still wearing his hat).
One wagon was a Pontiac, with a suede roof.
wayneswagon.jpg
As for a hood ornament, those are missing on today's cars.
The last one I saw was on a 1983 Olds my dad bought.

What about Suede for a top?
I saw that on Car Crazy today.
John Wayne had several station wagons for his family, but needed the roof raised in order to get in them (while still wearing his hat).
One wagon was a Pontiac, with a suede roof.
View attachment 4120
As for a hood ornament, those are missing on today's cars.
The last one I saw was on a 1983 Olds my dad bought.

I have seen some moron put an alligator skin top on his car. :doh:

Hood ornaments stayed around for a while in the higher end cars but by the late 90s they all went on the cheap and got rid of them---tightwads!

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Those pics are from Cadillac.
This isn't Tom you are talking to, I hate Cadillac!
Now a 1969-1970 Mark III is more my style.
The whole reason Cadillac lost out to them in the late 60's and early 70's was because of style and options.
Here is a pic of a 1969 Mark III interior.
Cadillac could only aspire to make this kind of car back in the day.
markiiiinterior.jpg

BTW I like to call hood ornaments "sites" for the driver. :D

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Yes. There was even one vote for 1914-1918.

Yipes!

The only thing worse would be the civil war, as far as survival rate.
I thought about this when I chose the period I wanted to live in.
Several decades had wars either starting or ending, which made it hard to choose.
Who knows? One day James Powers might invent time travel and we can make this thread happen. :D

Those pics are from Cadillac.
This isn't Tom you are talking to, I hate Cadillac!
Now a 1969-1970 Mark III is more my style.
The whole reason Cadillac lost out to them in the late 60's and early 70's was because of style and options.
Here is a pic of a 1969 Mark III interior.
Cadillac could only aspire to make this kind of car back in the day.
View attachment 4121

BTW I like to call hood ornaments "sites" for the driver. :D
Ok, let's try it with stinky Lincolns:

Ugly as sin

Still ugly but less so

Still ugly but less so.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The only thing worse would be the civil war, as far as survival rate.
I thought about this when I chose the period I wanted to live in.
Several decades had wars either starting or ending, which made it hard to choose.

On the other hand, name me a decade when there *hasn't* been wars either starting or ending, crimes against humanity going on, or, somewhere in the world, something future generations will very much regret.

When people run this same poll on the Backwards Fashion-Colored Baseball Cap Lounge in 2063, I wonder if anyone will pick "2010-2019." Or, god forbid, "2000-2009."

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Ok, let's try it with stinky Lincolns:

Ugly as sin

Still ugly but less so

Still ugly but less so.
I think we are in agreement that the late 70's had awful styling.
Luxury is what I look for.
There is a disturbing trend I noticed, after looking at design through the years.
We went from this in 1969....
1969_Buick_Century_Cruiser_concept_01.jpg
To this by the mid 70's....
1976_Ford_Antser_Concept_01.jpg
Thank goodness the second one was never built!
BTW I got these images from an interesting site.
It has designs ranging from various years, with plenty of pics.
http://www.carstyling.ru/en/year/1969/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic