Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What time period would you live in, and where, if you had to for one year?

What time period would you live in?

• Total voters
My grandfather bought his Chrysler Airstream C8 used in 1937, and drove the thing until 1956, when he replaced it with a 1950 Buick Roadmaster. He got good dervice out of his. The Six cylinder version of this machine used the same basic engine that powered all of those legendarily Chrysler products from '24 up into the 1950's.

That eight was used in all of the Imperials up until the post-war period, and had a very fine reputation for reliability.

You claim that the car was a failure, but actually the Airstream product line saved the firm from the disaster of the technically advanced but poor-selling Airflow products.

TheChrysler Straight Eight was also a commonly used marine and industrial engine.

The Airflow was indeed an even worse failure. lol lol That engine would literally fall out of cars while they were going because the mounts were not adequate for the engine. lol lol

My brother had that Stretch Armstrong thing -- I think he ended up setting fire to it. Definitely burning plastic smell.

GOOD THINGS ABOUT THE '70s:

The '75 Red Sox

Original Taco-flavor Doritos, not the shabby reproduction they have now.

"Joe Franklin's Memory Lane" on WOR radio.

78 rpm records for a quarter apiece at any yard sale.

1930's magazines for a quarter apiece at any yard sale.

The Bob Newhart Show.

(That's it, that's all I've got.)

I bet Stretch went up like the proverbial tire. :p

The records and magazines I guess I could live with. :p The rest makes not much difference to me. :p

Otis

New in Town
My brother had that Stretch Armstrong thing -- I think he ended up setting fire to it. Definitely burning plastic smell.

GOOD THINGS ABOUT THE '70s:

The '75 Red Sox

Original Taco-flavor Doritos, not the shabby reproduction they have now.

"Joe Franklin's Memory Lane" on WOR radio.

78 rpm records for a quarter apiece at any yard sale.

1930's magazines for a quarter apiece at any yard sale.

The Bob Newhart Show.

(That's it, that's all I've got.)

Not bad, but that list only begins to describe the greatness of the 70's. To it I would add -

CBS Radio Mystery Theater

Led Zeppelin (yeah I know they began in the 60's but they really hit their stride in the 70s.)

Dire Straits

Large, loud JBL speakers

Japanese electronics

Japanese cars

GM & Ford engines over 450 cubic inches.

Urethane skateboard wheels.

The end of the Vietnam war. (and 'war' itself would be out of style for almost a decade afterward- woo-hoo!)

Pringles

The 1977 Portland TrailBlazers

The Firebird Trans Am

The 'dry look' in mens' hair.

The VCR.

The use of real cane sugar. (HFCS would come with the 80s)

Schwinn Stingray bicycles.

Nike shoes

Window air conditioners and heat pumps became common.

There's got to be more, but that's all I can think of now.

Last edited:

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
The Airflow was indeed an even worse failure. lol lol That engine would literally fall out of cars while they were going because the mounts were not adequate for the engine. lol lol

Well, that eight was rated at 320 ft/lbs of torque at just above idle. If one had a heavy foot I could certainly see those early "Floating Power" mounts coming apart, particularly if they were OILED, for they were made of natural rubber. There was a Service Bulletin addressing just this problem. It seems that some owners, and even some service men thought it necessary to regularly lubricate the rubber motor mounts, leading to the early failure of these parts.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Not bad, but that list only begins to describe the greatness of the 70's. To it I would add -

Led Zeppelin (yeah I know they began in the 60's but they really hit their stride in the 70s.)

Dire Straits

Large, loud JBL speakers

Japanese electronics

Japanese cars

GM & Ford debuting engines over 450 cubic inches.

Urethane skateboard wheels.

Radial tires.

The end of the Vietnam war. (and 'war' itself would be out of style for almost a decade afterward- woo-hoo!)

Pringles

The 1977 Portland TrailBlazers

The Firebird Trans Am

The 'dry look' in mens' hair.

The VCR.

The use of real cane sugar. (HFCS would come with the 80s)

Schwinn Stingray bicycles.

There's got to be more, but that's all I can think of now.

Yipes!

To each his own, I suppose.

By the way those big JBL's are good for finding flaws in recordings, but are terribly tiresome to listen to for long periods. Our JBL L200's (driven by a Phase Linear 700 with a 4000 pre-amp) have been seldom used in the past 20 years, save as bases for a pair of Sevres urns, for they are just too tiring. The Bozak and Wharfdale units (driven by Harmon-Kardon Citation I & II and Dynaco Stereo 70 respectively) are so very much more pleasant. Heck, even an Orthophonic Victrola Credenza is easier on the ears, for though it colors the sound, the distortion is generally pleasant.

As far as Led Zeppelin and Dire Straits are concerned, well, I intensely disliked that sort of stuff back when it first came out!

The 1970's, indeed!

I quite frankly think that Miss Maine was being entirely too charitable in coming up with positive things to say about that misbegotten decade.

Yipes!

Last edited:
Well, that eight was rated at 320 ft/lbs of torque at just above idle. If one had a heavy foot I could certainly see those early "Floating Power" mounts coming apart, particularly if they were OILED, for they were made of natural rubber. There was a Service Bulletin addressing just this problem. It seems that some owners, and even some service men thought it necessary to regularly lubricate the rubber motor mounts, leading to the early failure of these parts.

Come apart? They flew apart. lol lol You know those cartoon where you see the car going and the engine falls out but the car keeps going? Yep, that was based on the Airflow. :p Didn't they do something with aluminum in the engine too?

Yipes!

To each his own, I suppose.

By the way those big JBL's are good for finding flaws in recordings, but are terribly tiresome to listen to for long periods. Our JBL L200's (driven by a Phase Linear 700 with a 4000 pre-amp) have been seldom used in the past 20 years, save as bases for a pair of Sevres urns, for they are just too tiring. The Bozak and Wharfdale units (driven by Harmon-Kardon Citation I & II and Dynaco Stereo 70 respectively) are so very much more pleasant. Heck, even an Orthophonic Victrola Credenza is easier on the ears, for though it colors the sound, the distortion is generally pleasant.

As far as Led Zeppelin and Dire Straits are concerned, well, I intensely disliked that sort of stuff back when it first came out!

The 1970's, indeed!

Yipes!

Agreed!

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Come apart? They flew apart. lol lol You know those cartoon where you see the car going and the engine falls out but the car keeps going? Yep, that was based on the Airflow. :p Didn't they do something with aluminum in the engine too?

No. That was the Rolls-Royce Phantom, with its aluminum overhead valve set-up. That engine performed very well, and lasted indefinitely as long as the cooling system was kept filled with distilled water. If tap water was used as coolant both the bock and the head would rapidly corrode.

You know, the Chrysler flathead 6 and 8 engines remained in production until well into the 1970's for industrial use. They had a good torque curve, and ran indefinitely, even in really difficult long-term service.

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
The Airflow was 5 years ahead of its time when it came out. It scared the hell out of every other car company. Competitors spread a lot of lies about the Chrysler Airflow, then copied them as fast as they could.

The Airflow was made from 1934 to 1937. If you don't believe me, compare any make of car from 1933 (pre Airflow) to the same make in 1938 and later (post Airflow) and see if it isn't a copy of the Airflow silhouette with chubbier fenders.

Lucky thing it was a good car since everyone ended up copying them.

Last edited:

Otis

New in Town
...By the way those big JBL's are good for finding flaws in recordings, but are terribly tiresome to listen to for long periods. Our JBL L200's (driven by a Phase Linear 700 with a 4000 pre-amp) have been seldom used in the past 20 years...too tiring... The Bozak and Wharfdale units (driven by Harmon-Kardon Citation I & II and Dynaco Stereo 70 respectively) are so very much more pleasant...

I had L300s, so I know what you mean. With good tube amps like yours, they sounded better, but with 'hard' sounding solid state stuff, ouch! I'd suspect your Phase Linear, with it's designed-in sloppy power supply regulation, isn't too terrific.

As for the Bozaks and Wharfedales, they sound good, but are very polite in the British tradition. Good for classical. But when it's time for blood & thunder rock or heavy blues like Zep, give me the JBLs! (or Klipsch, or Cerwin-Vega)

The 1970's, indeed!

I quite frankly think that Miss Maine was being entirely too charitable in coming up with positive things to say about that misbegotten decade.

Yipes!

Unfortunate. I thoroughly enjoyed the 70s (except for Disco. I never 'got' that, and didn't care to) until inflation and Jimmy Carter's pessimistic 'malaise' (tho he actually never used that word).

Last edited:

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
The Airflow was 5 years ahead of its time when it came out. It scared the hell out of every other car company. Competitors spread a lot of lies about the Chrysler Airflow, then copied them as fast as they could.

The Airflow was made from 1934 to 1937. If you don't believe me, compare any make of car from 1933 (pre Airflow) to the same make in 1938 and later (post Airflow) and see if it isn't a copy of the Airflow silhouette with chubbier fenders.

Lucky thing it was a good car since everyone ended up copying them.

It was not just the styling which was revolutionary. The Airflow and Airstream pioneered the chassis geometry and weight distribution which became the industry standard until the coming of front-wheel drive in the 1970's. Before the Airflow/Airstream the engine was hung well behind the front axle, and the rear seat was centered over the rear axle. This tended to make for sloppy handling and a bumpy ride. The Airflow centered the engine over the front axle, and so the entire passenger compartment was moved well forward, placing the rear seat passengers well in front of the rear axle, insuring a much more comfortable ride.

No. That was the Rolls-Royce Phantom, with its aluminum overhead valve set-up. That engine performed very well, and lasted indefinitely as long as the cooling system was kept filled with distilled water. If tap water was used as coolant both the bock and the head would rapidly corrode.

You know, the Chrysler flathead 6 and 8 engines remained in production until well into the 1970's for industrial use. They had a good torque curve, and ran indefinitely, even in really difficult long-term service.

I could see them using the engines well into the 70s---as long as the engines were standing still, they did fine. lol lol

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
So James, you are saying the smell a broken Stretch Armstrong gave off, is the same smell hippies give off?
I'll buy that. :D
Lizzie, I love the Bob Newhart show. Unfortunately the dvd's stopped at season 4.
As for Zeppelin, I recognize their talent, especially John Paul Jones.
However, a lot of their songs were covers of old blues songs from my part of the world.
BTW James, I'm getting my fashion sense from Bob Newhart himself, especially his golf pants. ;)
But I can't find any roller skates to wear with them to the roller disco.

So James, you are saying the smell a broken Stretch Armstrong gave off, is the same smell hippies give off?
Lizzie, I love the Bob Newhart show. Unfortunately the dvd's stopped at season 4.
However, a lot of their songs were covers of old blues songs from my part of the world.
BTW James, I'm getting my fashion sense from Bob Newhart himself, especially his golf pants. ;)

No, hippies stink more. :eeek::eusa_doh:

Roller Disco?! Oh geez, I remember that tragedy and travesty. :doh: Next thing you are going to tell us that Donna Summer was your favorite singer back then.
[video=youtube_share;SN-bIm-ZBBQ]http://youtu.be/SN-bIm-ZBBQ[/video]

Or better yet:
[video=youtube_share;CS9OO0S5w2k]http://youtu.be/CS9OO0S5w2k[/video]
I bet you are dancing right now listening to this---making the letters. :rofl:

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Don't make me send my gang over to your house.
They are from all walks of life, and they are fabulous.
villagepeople.jpg

BTW I skated to that Donna Summer song, and still hear it on the 70's channel on XM.
The 70's channel does get to me on occasion, I have to be honest.
Some songs I just can't take, especially if it's Captain and Tennille.
I mean, there are some memories that I'd rather not relive, the energy crisis for one.
Then again I'd be happy sitting in a bean bag, watching a Bob Newhart or MASH marathon.
Until my legs went to sleep. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou