Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

what to do with my cell phone

gpwpat

Familiar Face
well I was thinking. they arn't very vintage. Unless I take it apart and build it into a shoe. you know Get smart style. Now that would be cool. and really get some attention. saddly though most people probably don't know Get smart and his shoe phone. speak of the devil. my phone is ringing. Wish it was my shoe.

getsmart.jpg

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Is there any way of plugging an old-fashioned handset into it?

Can you get, say, an art-deco style chrome case for it? Make it look like a cigarette holder, maybe?

Vermifuge

One of the Regulars
gpwpat said:
well I was thinking. they arn't very vintage. Unless I take it apart and build it into a shoe. you know Get smart style. Now that would be cool. and really get some attention. saddly though most people probably don't know Get smart and his shoe phone. speak of the devil. my phone is ringing. Wish it was my shoe.

My solution? Get a modern phone something small with blue tooth. Almost any model will do. All the major providers offer lots of ring tones some of them even sound like classic “bell” ringers.

Keep the phone in your pocket or briefcase. You should hear it if it is close by. Ease of access isn’t the issue.

All you need to do is keep this near you.

when the phone rings you can answer it with this. You can wonder about 30’ away from your phone and still talk. Not “vintage” but very retro.

bluetooth_retro_handset_new.jpg

Vermifuge

One of the Regulars
Baron Kurtz said:
the only solution:

Toss the damn cell phone in the trash. Waste of time, anyway. Don't give in to people who tell you that you NEED one.

bk
Sorry but I disagree.

This is probably on the verge of politics but I’ll say it any way. The face of the modern company has changed. In order to remain productive (not to mention increase productivity) we are forced to have mobile offices. This need will become more pressing as the bulk of out labor force (the baby boomers) enter retirement.

What was the norm of 40 hours in the office a week has evolved into an average of 60 hours working in and out of the office as needed. We may have the freedom to work where we want but the demands are higher.

Some might be quick to call this a luxury but the fact is in my line of work it is a necessity.

Vermifuge

One of the Regulars
BegintheBeguine said:
Up until a few months ago we paid around five US$ a month for our 2 black dial telephones we leased from the telephone company. Now there is no charge. Whoohoo! I know own my 40 year old telephones after paying for them for 40 years!

I have heard about this. I guess someone was in the paper not to long ago and the telecos decided it was time to look into it.

gpwpat

Familiar Face
oh I like those retor hand sets for the cell. I think I will have to get the corded one. just wouldn't look right without the cord.

I like the bluetooth one too. That would be great for a get smart blue tooth conversion shoe phone. I would get a kick of having my phone ring and take of my shoe and answer it to watch peoples reactions and see how many people get the joke.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Baron Kurtz said:
the only solution:

Toss the damn cell phone in the trash. Waste of time, anyway. Don't give in to people who tell you that you NEED one.

bk

Hollywood agent Bernie Brillstein says that only doctors and hookers need pagers (I suppose that applies to cell phones as well). Being neither one, I feel perfectly confident doing without a cell phone. Not only do I not have a cell phone, but my land line number is not listed on the list that's distributed around the office. What, are my accountant co-workers going to have a word processing emergency?

Many years ago, I was an Air Force photographer and was required to carry a pager so I could be reached to photograph such important subjects as roadkill and fender benders at 2 a.m. (I swear I am not making this up.) I was thrilled to cut the electronic leash when I separated.

I would not throw the phone in the trash, though, since I can think of a group of people who might put it to good use: I'd see if a battered women's shelter could find someone to give it to.

Gray Ghost

A-List Customer
gpwpat said:

getsmart.jpg

Now this is the phone that I have always wanted. My wife would never get it. She does not have much knowledge of early television. I remember only having 4 chanels and 2 were the same company. I believe it was NBC on Chanel 7 and 11. If the President was on, you had no choice but to watch because he was on all chanels. My wife on the other hand had loads of chanels growing up. She was born in 1979 and I was born in 1969. It is a wonder what can change in a 10 year time span.

Gray Ghost

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
handsets

I'm constantly think about one o' those handsets, too. The cord should be a cloth cord, but they don't make them (yet. I asked.)

Only that would put the question of where to put it and how to carry it to the next level. Probably the only options would be to have in a briefcase if you carry on anyway, or in a specially made slope or pocket in a more spacious overcoat, but that'd work in winter only, and if you put it in the lower part of the coat, which tends to have more space, it'd bang against you with every movement.

Putting it in an outer pocket could work with some coats, but in most or all cases, it's too uncomfortable and shows very much. And at least for the cable-bound, pulling it from the inside is much more fun, I think.

Any better ideas? PLEASE? :)

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
All the flyboys in this lounge, should just start to wear flying helmets (see my avatar) with oxygenmasks and microfone connected to their cellphones. That would solve it for some of you - but it might look a bit odd on others.:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn