Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Vintage Sewing Project To Begin With?

Ccc

New in Town
I'm definitely interested in attempting my vintage-inspired clothing project, but where to begin is another matter.

While I'm not a novice seamstress, I get easily frustrated with the sewing. So would attempting an apron with some vintage fabric or vintage-type print fabric be the way to go?

It's pitiful, I know, but I'd like to start somewhere, and my daughter has very little patience with my delaying tactics.:)

Thanks for your ideas!

Snookie

Practically Family
A simple apron sounds like a great idea! If you don't want to find an actual vintage pattern, some of the modern companies have very nice aprons patterns. Vintage-looking cottons are oh-so plentiful, and easy to sew. Plus, an apron won't have a zipper or other difficult fasteners. It's not pitiful, either -- it's a great idea to do projects that are within your comfort zone. There's a thread on here somewhere about everyone's aprons -- check that out for inspiration!

Lollipop

Familiar Face
Suggestions for first time sewer?

Sorry for bring up a old threads, But I figured this would be better than starting up a new thread...

I plan on learning how to sew with a sewing machine...What do all you expert seamstresses suggest for a first timer?

I'm wanting to jump right in and make my own coat:D ...But I figured since I have never really sewn(Other than the typical holes.), I better start small...Soo..Any suggestions?

Miss Sis

One Too Many
The suggestion above of an apron is infact a very good one. It's not a large project and is usually just straight seams.

If you don't want to make an apron, then clothing wise, I'd say a skirt is a good place to start. You might need to put in a zip (or placket if you're going a bit further back!) but it is a good way to practise straight seams and fit.

I definitely wouldn't start with a blouse. Setting in sleeves is hard work when you're a new sewer. A sleeveless dress or pinafore might also be a good one. It really depends on your confidence.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I'd agree with both the apron and the skirt -- look for a simple six-gore '40s skirt as a good introduction to working with vintage patterns. It's mostly straight sewing, nothing too fiddly except the zipper, and once you get the hang of that it'll be simple.

If you get more ambitious after that, try a simple house dress with cap sleeves and no collar. And then after that, you can work on sleeves and collars, and once you've mastered those skills, you're about ready for anything!

The best thing you can do if you've never used a machine before is to just fool around with it for a while before starting any project. Practice on scrap fabric -- sew straight and curved seams, practice making darts and gathers, and just experiment with what your machine is capable of doing. One of the best places to find basic instruction in technique is an old high school home-ec book -- they always had a section on sewing, and are a great source for learning the fundamentals.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I'd go with a skirt. The first thing I sewed on my own was an apron and the waistband/ties really confused me (wven though I made the same apron 3 times!!) The skirt waistband is much easier.

SayCici

Practically Family
When you are ready to sew your first dress, go with a sleeveless jumper type, like:

il_430xN.92144997.jpg

Or with a full skirt. I may be crazy but I think it'd be even easier than starting with a skirt because there's no waistband, and those can be finicky.

Good luck!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Lollipop said:
I plan on learning how to sew with a sewing machine...What do all you expert seamstresses suggest for a first timer?

Because you have never sewn before, simply not vintage patterns, Id suggest this route if you are not taking a class.

-First thing you need to sew is a pillow case. It involves straight lines, pivoting, and finishing edges. Three crucial skills needed for basic sewing.

-Move to an apron from a *modern pattern*. This way you get all the goodie labeling directions printed on the pattern and you dont have the stress of worrying about exact fit. You will probably learn how to sew trim, casings, gathering, hemming etc.

*Then* once you have that under your belt, Id say you are ready for something you fit to the body. A basic A line skirt would be ideal. Id still stick with a modern pattern. You will learn to take good measurements, hem length, maybe set a zipper, and work on a button hole. All great stuff to know moving forward.

Now Id say you are probably ready to work on a vintage pattern (printed). Stick with a skirt, maybe something with pleats, maybe something more fitted.

After that, go for a blouse, (printed or no). You will have picked up enough techniques that you will get the base language, mess up, but still be confident in your skills.

After that, try an unprinted pattern. Take on whatever ambitious project you want :)

When I taught sewing, Id see people who never sewed start on mid level projects and get so flustered because they didnt know how to sew a straight line, or hem properly. All of this is 100% avoidable by just starting at the very basic-basic. Not only will you save time, youll save energy, your fabric and your sanity :)

LD

1*Cool*Kitten

One of the Regulars
GOOD Advice Lady Day!

Lady Day said:
Because you have never sewn before, simply not vintage patterns, Id suggest this route if you are not taking a class.

-First thing you need to sew is a pillow case. It involves straight lines, pivoting, and finishing edges. Three crucial skills needed for basic sewing.

-Move to an apron from a *modern pattern*. This way you get all the goodie labeling directions printed on the pattern and you dont have the stress of worrying about exact fit. You will probably learn how to sew trim, casings, gathering, hemming etc.

*Then* once you have that under your belt, Id say you are ready for something you fit to the body. A basic A line skirt would be ideal. Id still stick with a modern pattern. You will learn to take good measurements, hem length, maybe set a zipper, and work on a button hole. All great stuff to know moving forward.

Now Id say you are probably ready to work on a vintage pattern (printed). Stick with a skirt, maybe something with pleats, maybe something more fitted.

After that, go for a blouse, (printed or no). You will have picked up enough techniques that you will get the base language, mess up, but still be confident in your skills.

After that, try an unprinted pattern. Take on whatever ambitious project you want :)

When I taught sewing, Id see people who never sewed start on mid level projects and get so flustered because they didnt know how to sew a straight line, or hem properly. All of this is 100% avoidable by just starting at the very basic-basic. Not only will you save time, youll save energy, your fabric and your sanity :)

LD
After reading all your advice I have to concur!Ms LadyDay give wise advice!:eusa_clap

MissAmelina

A-List Customer
1*Cool*Kitten said:
After reading all your advice I have to concur!Ms LadyDay give wise advice!:eusa_clap

I concur....and, if you are a hands-on-visual-learner, see if your local Joann Fabric or another similar chain offers an inexpensive beginning sewing class. It's worth your peace of mind. (Although, I know plenty of people who are "self-taught" I tend to rip my hair out if i don't have someone helping me thru the first steps of something new. :) )
And the Reader's Digest Sewing Guide would be a good purchase too.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Thanks Ladies, but the more I thought about this, I needed to add a couple of amendments ;)

-Move to an apron from a *modern pattern*. This way you get all the goodie labeling directions printed on the pattern and you dont have the stress of worrying about exact fit. Your pattern should be a cocktail apron. Next Id suggest a full apron. You will probably learn how to sew trim, casings, gathering, hemming etc.

Now Id say you are probably ready to work on a vintage pattern (printed). Stick with a skirt, maybe something with pleats, maybe something more fitted. Id avoid a circle skirt (full or half) for your next project. People often have the ruse of thinking circle skirts are really really easy, but they are not. Id totally reserve it for an intermediate project.

Done and done.

LD

Lollipop

Familiar Face
Thank you so much Lady Day! If a pillow case is better to begin with, I'll Definitely start with a pillow case.

I would definintlely go to a class, But I live in a small town, where the closet Joann like store is two hours away one way, and a half hour away(Which, The half hour way isn't bad, because my mum travels down that way everyday and most of my family lives down there, So the only problem is getting there, and since I don't have a license and everyone works...)...Excuses, Excuses, Your probley thinking, eh?:eek: But my Grandmother sews, and my older sister sews(Along with her Fiancee mother), and my Aunt sews, So I can defintly get a little "class" from them.

But what about books? Any good books that would help me with my journey to sew?

Thank you!

MissAmelina

A-List Customer
Oh, then by all means, hit up your Granny for a sewing lesson!! :) She'll teach you nice and proper.

Reader's Digest Complete Guide to Sewing
is an awesome handbook---it has all your machine stitches, little projects like curtains and slip covers, garment construction info (cuffs, hemming, hand sewing, buttons, stuff etc.) pretty much everything you need aside from your machine manual--although I seem to recall there are some basic machine instructions as well.
There is also a thread somewhere on here about sewing books---but this is the book I use the most. I linked up an older edition, as my costume shop manager said it's a little more user friendly than the newer version (plus a used copy on amazon is only a few bucks compared to the 20-something you would pay otherwise). Good luck!!

The Vogue Book of Sewing (which is listed below by sixsixsix) is also good, but even though I have sung it's praises in the past, I do find myself wanting to throw it against a wall now and again...kind of like Vogue Patterns.... :) Parts of it are confusing to me. I have the companion book of alterations, and find I never ever use either of them anymore as there are others in my collection that are less frustrating.

Here's a link to the sewing thread where lots of books are listed.

Lollipop

Familiar Face
Thank you!

...I've already hit my nan up for sewing lessons, So when she comes down this saturday, I'll have my first lesson. I'm excited!

Inky

One Too Many
Lollipop said:
Thank you!

...I've already hit my nan up for sewing lessons, So when she comes down this saturday, I'll have my first lesson. I'm excited!

How wonderful Lollipop that your Nan is there to teach you! My great-grandmother (Nana) taught me to sew and crochet and when I pick up the needle and thread or yarn and hooks, she's right there with me every single time. I was lucky to have her in my life well into my mid 30's and not a day goes by that I don't think of her.

I wish you the same and enjoy every minute of sewing - even the nerve-wracking crazy ones ;)

sixsexsix

Practically Family
I really like the Vogue Sewing Book from the 70s, it is better than an modern sewing book I have ever seen! I know a couple other people who swear by it as well. I have seen it numerous times at thrift stores, so I'm guessing it was quite popular when it came out, so I would have a look at your local Salvation Army/goodwill etc
il_430xN.74082821.jpg

Lollipop

Familiar Face
Inky said:
My great-grandmother (Nana) taught me to sew and crochet and when I pick up the needle and thread or yarn and hooks, she's right there with me every single time. I was lucky to have her in my life well into my mid 30's and not a day goes by that I don't think of her.

Aw, That's sweet.

velvetongue

Familiar Face
thank you for your advice Lady Day! am currently teaching myself how to sew as well and reading sewing books from the library...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn