Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Dewhurst

Practically Family
The most recent movie that I viewed was Jurassic Park. We watched it tonight.

I get nostalgic over that movie.

The movie right before that was Alfred Hitchcock's Blackmail (1929), which I watched two days ago.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Stunningly terrible. The entire movie seemed like a joke.

To make up for it, I watched The Reader, which was wonderful. Kate Winslet is, by far, my favorite actor or actress.

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
"Lost Weekend"

probably not the best choice for a quiet evening at home with a bottle of canadian club, I was seeing animal faces in Jane Wymans coat!!!

The_Lost_Weekend_(1945.jpg

wymantribweekend.jpg

JaneWymanB03q.jpg

She was so pretty before she adopted that "Herman Munster meets Dr Spock fringe"

Jane+Wyman.bmp

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
On "Australia", regardless of how it was advertised, remember it is first and foremost a Baz Luhrman film.

It needs to be viewed through that lens, almost as a 4th film in his "Red Curtain Trilogy" of "Strictly Ballroom", "Romeo + Juliet" and "Moulin Rouge".

The Red Curtain style of film making was devised by Luhrmann with certain specifics in mind that serve to actively promote audience participation. These are: 1) the audience knows how it will end right from the start; 2) the storyline is thin and simple; 3) the world created in the film is one of heightened reality; and 4) there is to be a specific device driving the story, whether it be dance, iambic pentameter or characters bursting out in song.

Much of what is criticized about it, the odd bits of camp, the stylized shots and color use, is simply part of his style.

It is fair to like or not like it, or agree or disagree with how effectively he used his stylistic elements, but it should be viewed as what it is, not how the studio tried to present it or what was expected of a "conventional" historical epic.

Feraud

Bartender
Watched for the first time I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang with Paul Muni.
Muni plays a WWI vet who hits the road in search of engineering work. Out of work and drifting from town to town he is caught up in a holdup and sentenced to hard time on a chain gang. Our man Muni escapes, gets a job, climbs the corporate ladder, marries a schemer, and is exposed as an chain gang escapee..

Great film. Powerful ending!

get_atomized

One of the Regulars
The last movie I watched was "Some Like It Hot" (a comfortable fall-back), but the last movie I wasn't that I hadn't seen before was "Miller's Crossing". I liked it, but I think "Barton Fink" is a more charming Golden Era Coen brothers movie, and has more John Turturro.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
The Glen Miller Story with James Stewart & June Allyson.

1950s-still-glenn-miller.jpg
39046967.jpg
glennjimmy.jpg

Very well enjoyed. Even though the ending is known, it is still very sad.
It's really neat to see a very young and dark haired Harry Morgan in there as well. What a treat.

Cheers!

Dan

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
Quantum Of Solace

ok, so it didn't have the story Royale had...but...

yes!!! kick a$$ movie!!! love it!!!

Bond is as smooth and ruthless as he has ever been...Craig was the perfect choice...

all in my opinion of course ;)

ps- the opening song was not that bad...

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
PADDY said:
...which I'd never seen and loved it. Also, A RIVER RUNS THROUGH IT, which again I adored.

The Notebook is such an amazing film. I can only watch it when I'm really in the mood as it haunts me for days afterwards.

Slim Portly

One Too Many
1935's "Captain Blood," starring Errol Flynn, Olivia de Havilland, and Basil Rathbone. If one can overlook the rubber swords and rifles and the bad accents, this film holds up well as an engaging swashbuckler.

captblood1.jpg
captblood2.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy