Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

Yesterday I watched the most recent episode of "Hell on Wheels."...
I watched the pilot episode when it premiered in November of 2011 and, though I enjoyed it, didn't find it compelling enough to warrant continued viewing. I had watched almost the full first season of Copper, and the first two seasons of The Walking Dead, before I came to that conclusion. I wanted to like those shows, but...didn't...and didn't want to waste time on another show that would ultimately prove to be unsatisfying. About a month ago AMC ran a Hell on Wheels mini-marathon leading up to the new (at that time) episode, and I tuned in again; now I wish I'd been watching the whole time, and haven't missed a new episode since. Needless to say, I've got some catching-up to do. lol

I watched the pilot episode when it premiered in November of 2011 and, though I enjoyed it, didn't find it compelling enough to warrant continued viewing. I had watched almost the full first season of Copper, and the first two seasons of The Walking Dead, before I came to that conclusion. I wanted to like those shows, but...didn't...and didn't want to waste time on another show that would ultimately prove to be unsatisfying. About a month ago AMC ran a Hell on Wheels mini-marathon leading up to the new (at that time) episode, and I tuned in again; now I wish I'd been watching the whole time, and haven't missed a new episode since. Needless to say, I've got some catching-up to do. lol

I, too, was close to quitting "Hell on Wheels" during season one as, to your point, it seemed like a show I should enjoy, but I was only marginally liking it. I stayed with it and have been apply rewarded in season two and three as many of the subplots started in season one have now developed into complex story lines and, as stated earlier, the character development and inter-personal relationships have become three dimensional, nuanced and real. I'm glad you rediscovered it.

It's also funny you mentioned "Copper," as I also wanted to like the show but final quit it as it never truly captured my attention - it seemed disjointed in its story lines and uneven in its quality (some episodes were well done; others were formulaic and preachy). "Boardwalk Empire" is another show that I nearly stopped watching at first, but it kept getting better and better (with the last three episodes of last season being incredibly engaging TV). While having no tie in to Fedora Lounge's theme, "Orange is the new Black" had an outstanding first season where characters and stories were thoughtfully built over time; original impressions changed (as they do in real life) and morality was portrayed in the grey way it truly exists.

Started watching Orange is the New Black last week. At the rate I go, I'll be finished Season 1 around the time they start releasing Season 3.

Really enjoyable show - please stay with it as it gets better and better. Also, the "Chicken" episode is a classic in it seemed to break with the story arc and narrative, should not have worked, but did in a fun, crazy way.

Virginia Creeper

One of the Regulars
Really enjoyable show - please stay with it as it gets better and better. Also, the "Chicken" episode is a classic in it seemed to break with the story arc and narrative, should not have worked, but did in a fun, crazy way.

I'm really enjoying it, I'm just perennially short of TV watching time. Heck, I only just finished Season 4 of Mad Men.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran