Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
Just finished "Curtain." What an amazing way to end the wonderful Poirot series. It was great that Hastings was back (can't figure out why he was not in "The Big Four." He actually was in the novel unlike his inclusion in earlier Poirot seasons) as was a bit of the humor ("You have lard for a brain!). I cannot say enough about Suchet's incredible performance. I also highly recommend his memoir, "Poirot & Me."

Feraud

Bartender
Ray Donovan. A series nobody seems to be talking about that is well above most that are already in the good lot. It would be a shame to see a quality program like this get canceled because it got no marketing at all.

The wife and I were interested in Ray Donovan because we generally enjoy Liev's work. Have to say I hate this show! Ray Donovan is an unlikable man, with an equally unlikable wife raising two potentially horrible children. The daughter is well on her way to being a street-walking junkie.
The show was originally sold as Donovan being a "Hollywood fixer" but we were baited and switched into watching a less likable Sopranos. Ray's got a tough job, sleeps with every woman he meets, the shrew wife is busting his chops to change his awful lifestyle while reaping the benefits of it. Bratty, foul mouthed kids, etc. Ugh!

Have to say Jon Voight steals every scene he's in! ;)

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
sleeps with every woman he meets, the shrew wife is busting his chops to change his awful lifestyle while reaping the benefits of it. Bratty, foul mouthed kids, etc.
You must be watching a different show. Other than his wife, he's slept with one woman one time, and he had several chances to do so otherwise. They haven't presented him as a serial cheater.* His kids are bratty at times, but they're also clearly confused and loving/respectful of him at other times. Like real life, they're conflicted, just as he is. Kids mirror behavior, and it is represented well here. Most of the time, Ray does people right and clearly functions from a decent code, but at times, he loses out to his learned behaviors. She acts like a grade school sweetheart, which she is. She hates a lot of what Ray does, but she is also hopelessly devoted to him because he is family in the truest sense of the word. He's all she's ever known.

I can see how someone would mark this as a second rate Sopranos, but I've found it to be a lot more than that.

edit: *I added "serial"

Last edited:

Feraud

Bartender
She hates a lot of what Ray does, but she is also hopelessly devoted to him because he is family in the truest sense of the word. He's all she's ever known.
Yeah...I'm not sure Abby is that "hopelessly devoted" to Ray. Abby is sleeping with that cop and wants to leave Ray. She threw Ray out of the house and is trying to cajole that detective into a relationship.
Based on a recent (rough paraphrased) exchange-
Ray- Sleeping with him won't make you feel any better..
Abby- It feels pretty good!

That's not grade school sweetheart behavior back where I'm from. ;)

I wish the show went deeper into Ray's business but the central storyline is about his awful behavior and screwed up family...boring.

I give credit Eddie Marsan and Dash Mihok who are very good as Ray's brothers. As is Steven Bauer!

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
SPOILER ALERT for Ray Donovan season 1

Yeah...I'm not sure Abby is that "hopelessly devoted" to Ray. Abby is sleeping with that cop and wants to leave Ray. She threw Ray out of the house and is trying to cajole that detective into a relationship.
Are we watching the same program? What episodes are these? I just finished season 1. Maybe you're speaking of season 2? In season 1, she's been angry, hurt, and a lot of what happens in a relationship 20 years old and that began when they were literally kids, but really, she's been understanding of everything up to this point, even letting the priest die as she walked out of the boxing gym.

Last edited:

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
It has not been aired yet, BBC The Revolution, but it already looks like the same old wrong history! Paul Revere riding through the streets yelling The British are coming, the British are coming. That has been proven wrong for decades, they were all still British! Spoiler alert, the real story is much better, with late night randevu with a girl friend, a woman's petticoat, and a heroic escape from the regulars.

Stormy

A-List Customer
Glad you enjoy "Call the Midwife" as much as we do - that one doesn't seem to have as much of a following as some of the other quality shows have. Also, do you know if "Breathless" is being shown in the US yet - I couldn't find it on my cable system?

Yes, "Breathless" is here in the U.S. already. It's on Masterpiece.

It has not been aired yet, BBC The Revolution, but it already looks like the same old wrong history! Paul Revere riding through the streets yelling The British are coming, the British are coming. That has been proven wrong for decades, they were all still British! Spoiler alert, the real story is much better, with late night randevu with a girl friend, a woman's petticoat, and a heroic escape from the regulars.

Not only were they British, they were on a secret mission and tried to be as quiet as possible. Revere's story is the least heroic and least interesting of the three men on the ride. Revere never made it Concord, was captured, interrogated (where he sang like a bird), released without his horse and had to walk back to Lexington in the middle of the night.

Yes, "Breathless" is here in the U.S. already. It's on Masterpiece.

Thank you. I couldn't find it at first as when I searched "Breathless" nothing came up. Then, once you posted, I checked under "Masterpiece" and there it is. It is a bit odd that PBS puts many different series under the "Masterpiece" banner because then you can't just search for or record the individual series you like; instead, you have to record everything shown under the Masterpiece banner.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Joe 90.
My wife bought it for me on DVD.
Much clearer than youtube. :D
Almost in HD actually.
I know Anderson had to call it quits on the Supermarionation, but this (and Captain Scarlet) were the height of his talent.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Not only were they British, they were on a secret mission and tried to be as quiet as possible. Revere's story is the least heroic and least interesting of the three men on the ride. Revere never made it Concord, was captured, interrogated (where he sang like a bird), released without his horse and had to walk back to Lexington in the middle of the night.

Like they say, "truth is stranger then fiction!" And, Might I add, more interesting also.

Hell on Wheels. Sure didn't see that one coming. Just when you think they're getting predictable, they prove they're not!
Actually, I thought that was exactly how the situation would be resolved; I just wasn't sure about the details. To say more would be revealing too much, so I'll just leave it at that for now so as not to ruin it for anyone who hasn't seen the episode yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner