Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

Dennis Young

A-List Customer
th

Hogan’s Heroes is a favorite show of mine. Many of the Germans on that show had suffered through the Nazi years and were very anti-Nazi…and often Jewish.
Werner Klemperer (Col Klink) was born in Cologne, Germany and demanded that he always portray Col Klink as a buffoon. And he really was a skilled violinist. He joined the US Army during WW2 and served in the Special Services entertaining the troops.

John Banner, (Sgt Shultz) was born in Austria. He was in Switzerland with an acting troup in ‘38 when Hitler annexed Austria. He emigrated to America soon after and actually enlisted in the US Army Air Corps in ‘42. The Jewish Banner defended his character, telling TV Guide in 1967, "Schultz is not a Nazi. I see Schultz as the representative of some kind of goodness in any generation."

Leon Askin (General Burkhalter) was Jewish and born in Vienna. He emigrated to the US in 1940 and served in WW2 as a staff sgt in the Army Air Corp.

I’ve always like these actors and they could be seen in many other tv series of the 60s especially. Daniel Boone, The Partridge Family, Mr. Ed. The Man from U.N.C.L.E., etc. Klemperer even played on an episode of the Simpsons. J

Oh, and btw…the drums you hear in the opening credits? That’s actually Bob Crane (Col Hogan) who was an excellent percussionist.

Last edited:
th

Hogan’s Heroes is a favorite show of mine. Many of the Germans on that show had suffered through the Nazi years and were very anti-Nazi…and often Jewish.
Werner Klemperer (Col Klink) was born in Cologne, Germany and demanded that he always portray Col Klink as a buffoon. And he really was a skilled violinist. He joined the US Army during WW2 and served in the Special Services entertaining the troops.

John Banner, (Sgt Shultz) was born in Austria. He was in Switzerland with an acting troup in ‘38 when Hitler annexed Austria. He emigrated to America soon after and actually enlisted in the US Army Air Corps in ‘42. The Jewish Banner defended his character, telling TV Guide in 1967, "Schultz is not a Nazi. I see Schultz as the representative of some kind of goodness in any generation."

Leon Askin (General Burkhalter) was Jewish and born in Vienna. He emigrated to the US in 1940 and served in WW2 as a staff sgt in the Army Air Corp.

I’ve always like these actors and they could be seen in many other tv series of the 60s especially. Daniel Boone, The Partridge Family, Mr. Ed. The Man from U.N.C.L.E., etc. Klemperer even played on an episode of the Simpsons. J

Oh, and btw…the drums you hear in the opening credits? That’s actually Bob Crane (Col Hogan) who was an excellent percussionist.

I, too, have always enjoyed this show, but it seems that so much is cut out in the reruns now that the shows continuity and flow is very choppy. I had never thought about it, but it is funny that so many of the Germans on the show were Jewish in real life - maybe that alone is a tiny rebuke to the Nazi's grand plan.

And drums were clearly not the only thing Bob Crane was banging in the sixties.

hatguy1

One Too Many
A TV/HBO or whatever miniseries called "Island At War." It was a 6-part miniseries about the British Channel Islands ("70 miles from England and 6 miles from Occupied France) that were invaded and occupied by the Nazis in the very early days of WW2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A TV/HBO or whatever miniseries called "Island At War." It was a 6-part miniseries about the British Channel Islands ("70 miles from England and 6 miles from Occupied France) that were invaded and occupied by the Nazis in the very early days of WW2.

I saw it years ago and thought it was fantastic - hit on a part of the war I knew very little about. It was beautifully filmed and the set were gorgeous.

hatguy1

One Too Many
I saw it years ago and thought it was fantastic - hit on a part of the war I knew very little about. It was beautifully filmed and the set were gorgeous.

While I thought the scenes, sets and costumes were awesome for an "immersive" movie experience, I thought the scripting was way too soft on the Nazis/Whermacht/Luftwaffe occupiers. And I think the main character ladies on the island gave in to dating their occupiers awfully easily.

While I thought the scenes, sets and costumes were awesome for an "immersive" movie experience, I thought the scripting was way too soft on the Nazis/Whermacht/Luftwaffe occupiers. And I think the main character ladies on the island gave in to dating their occupiers awfully easily.

I don't know enough about that occupation to say how historically accurate it was. Broadly, some Nazi occupations were violently brutal to civilians immediately and almost all the time. Other occupations were done with a softer hand (still plenty of violence, but it was kept a bit behind the scenes to present a somewhat more civilized approach to the public). I could see the Nazis deciding to be less overtly brutal in the Channel Island than they were in the USSR, but again, I am only guessing.

hatguy1

One Too Many
The Channel Islands occupation was fairly non-brutal, from what I understand. And I agree it is a fascinating and often-overlooked part of The Battle of Britain.

I guess I was referring to te part where the 2 girls and wife whose husband was killed in the harbor bombing all ended up in some form or anther quickly giving in to cooperating in business or in bed with their German occupiers just seemed a little too soft for me. And that the only real resistance to the collaborators were a few snide comments from other women, a few shouts of "Jerrybag" from a few men and a beer glass thrown at one singing in a pub. Given how French women collaborators were treated particularly post-liberation, this treatment seemed too soft as well.

But, I too thought all the movie-making aspects of the film were quite well done.

By chance, have you seen "The Brylcream Boys?" It's a flick about Luftwaffe and RAF
Pilots interred in neutral-Ireland during WW2. Another great flick for the "immersive" experience and a little stronger plot on my points above.

The Channel Islands occupation was fairly non-brutal, from what I understand. And I agree it is a fascinating and often-overlooked part of The Battle of Britain.

I guess I was referring to te part where the 2 girls and wife whose husband was killed in the harbor bombing all ended up in some form or anther quickly giving in to cooperating in business or in bed with their German occupiers just seemed a little too soft for me. And that the only real resistance to the collaborators were a few snide comments from other women, a few shouts of "Jerrybag" from a few men and a beer glass thrown at one singing in a pub. Given how French women collaborators were treated particularly post-liberation, this treatment seemed too soft as well.

But, I too thought all the movie-making aspects of the film were quite well done.

By chance, have you seen "The Brylcream Boys?" It's a flick about Luftwaffe and RAF
Pilots interred in neutral-Ireland during WW2. Another great flick for the "immersive" experience and a little stronger plot on my points above.

I have not seen it, but will check it out. The same company - Acorn - that produced "Islands at War" also produced "Foyle's War," which if you haven't seen, is worth checking out. It is a TV series the follows a local UK Chief Inspector during WWII and how much of his policing activities get tied into WWII.

EmergencyIan

Practically Family
I happened to stumble upon ADAM-12 yesterday afternoon and watched a couple of episodes. I hadn't seen it in a while. Honestly, I really enjoyed it.

reedmalloycar.jpg

- Ian

Worf

I'll Lock Up
HBO's The Jinx. What an ending! Or likely the beginning of a media circus we haven't seen in this country since the OJ Simpson trial.

Heard about this guy YEARS ago... When people used to bug me about O.J. (I personally think he did it but was NOT alone) I'd bring up Robert Blake and this cat. I'd ask quite matter of factly "what prison do you think I'd be under right now if they found a guys frozen head in MY freezer? Talk to me about O.J. when this $#$#!@%#% is in jail!" They usually left me alone after that.

Worf

Dennis Young

A-List Customer
I, too, have always enjoyed this show, but it seems that so much is cut out in the reruns now that the shows continuity and flow is very choppy. I had never thought about it, but it is funny that so many of the Germans on the show were Jewish in real life - maybe that alone is a tiny rebuke to the Nazi's grand plan.

And drums were clearly not the only thing Bob Crane was banging in the sixties.
lol Yep. Til someone banged him in the skull with a tri-pod. Too bad though. He was so talented

Dennis Young

A-List Customer
Heard about this guy YEARS ago... When people used to bug me about O.J. (I personally think he did it but was NOT alone) I'd bring up Robert Blake and this cat. I'd ask quite matter of factly "what prison do you think I'd be under right now if they found a guys frozen head in MY freezer? Talk to me about O.J. when this $#$#!@%#% is in jail!" They usually left me alone after that.

Worf
Oh yeah. Robert Blake was another scary guy. Scary because (like OJ) I used to be a big fan. Now its just disturbing. I cant even watch his old shows anymore.

I didn't realise that Count's Kustoms is right near Circus Circus where I was staying when I was in Vegas. It's on the next street behind Vegas Battleground that's behind Circus Circus. :p

[video=youtube;Ipg3bn49kw8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ipg3bn49kw8[/video]

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot