Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

A $95 t-shirt? No thank you. :p
Next time I go to Vegas it's going to be the Bellagio. Circus Circus is on the low-rent end of The Strip. I was only there for that diecast collectors convention.

Last edited:

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
A $95 t-shirt? No thank you. :p
Next time I go to Vegas it's going to be the Bellagio. Circus Circus is on the low-rent end of The Strip. I was only there for that diecast collectors convention.
I had some friends that tried to go by Pawn Stars. There were Cop cars and police tape, apparently a murder, so they didn't even get close! All I can say is, I hope they are putting some of the money in the bank, because, it will all be over in a blink of an eye! Then, their ex-celebrity status and a Dime wont buy a cup of Joe!

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Watched an early episode of Wheeler Dealer. I am to much of a perfectionist! I noticed again, some nice wheels and Ed put on a set of old rusty lug nuts! Come on, how much does a set of chrome lug nuts cost? That's a cynical rhetorical question by the way.

The Cadillac Escalade has the trappings of a high class luxury SUV, but under the skin it's not too different from a Chevy Suburban; the only real differences are the badges and the accessories...and the price.

I am not familiar with cars today, but in the '70s and '80s wasn't that all Cadillac was - A Chevy, Olds, Buick or Pontiac frame / chassis with nicer trim and finishes (and some tweaks to the body to make it look a little different)? Wasn't the DeVille just a fancier Buick Electra or Olds 98 / wasn't the Eldorado (in the 80s) just a Buick Rivera or an Oldsmobile (something - what was the Olds version called)?

The Cadillac Escalade has the trappings of a high class luxury SUV, but under the skin it's not too different from a Chevy Suburban; the only real differences are the badges and the accessories...and the price.

The accessories make quite a bit of difference. Try putting Escalade body parts on a Suburban and see just how much they aren’t alike. lol lol The first generation ones were close but not the second generation Escalades. Brand engineering ended there. :p

I am not familiar with cars today, but in the '70s and '80s wasn't that all Cadillac was - A Chevy, Olds, Buick or Pontiac frame / chassis with nicer trim and finishes (and some tweaks to the body to make it look a little different)? Wasn't the DeVille just a fancier Buick Electra or Olds 98 / wasn't the Eldorado (in the 80s) just a Buick Rivera or an Oldsmobile (something - what was the Olds version called)?

Yes, that is how Cadillac ruined its reputation back in the 80s and has just started digging its way out of stupidity like brand engineering and CAFE standard junk engines.

Yes, that is how Cadillac ruined its reputation back in the 80s and has just started digging its way out of stupidity like brand engineering and CAFE standard junk engines.

Do you remember the Oldsmobile equivalent of the Buick Riviera and Cadillac Eldorado in the '80s when all three were basically the same car?

Pretty much, yes. Back in those days you could bring your Chevy and your Cadillac to a shop to get the exact same maintenance or repair performed on both vehicles, and if they had the same chassis, suspension, engine, transmission, etc., you'd pay three to four times more (at least) for the work on your Cadillac as you would for the same work on your Chevy simply because one had "Cadillac" badges and one had "Chevy" badges.

To some degree this is still done today simply because it's more cost effective for General Motors, Ford, Honda, etc., to produce "universal" parts (i.e., parts that fit more than one specific model) than it is to design and produce parts for each specific model that perform the same function as they do on every other vehicle. For example, the Volkswagen "New Beetle" (i.e. the version produced from 1997 to 2010) had the same platform (chassis and suspension) as the Volkswagen Polo, and the most recent version of the Beetle which was introduced in 2012 has the same platform as the Volkswagen Jetta. For both generations the engines, bodies, interiors, etc., were different, but beneath that they were identical.

The accessories make quite a bit of difference. Try putting Escalade body parts on a Suburban and see just how much they aren’t alike. lol lol The first generation ones were close but not the second generation Escalades. Brand engineering ended there. :p
Sure, everything from the frame up is different, but beneath that they're basically the same vehicle. Ford was arguably the most notorious for this practice, occasionally producing Ford, Lincoln, and/or Mercury models that, except for a few minor details, were nearly identical except for the badges.

Sure, everything from the frame up is different, but beneath that they're basically the same vehicle. Ford was arguably the most notorious for this practice, occasionally producing Ford, Lincoln, and/or Mercury models that, except for a few minor details, were nearly identical except for the badges.

Don't forget suspension, brakes and wheels and tires attached to the frame. :p Basically it is just the frame that is the same. :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran