Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

Quick question for all you UFC fans. I was a long time boxing lover. For a while I called myself "Da Boss of Boxing". I seen my share of guys thrown in at the last minute for the short money. I was watching the other night and saw a similar situation. It was a mis-match and certainly short BUT it seems every time I watch one of these things some champeen is in with a last minute also ran? Is there sufficient guys/girls doing this to make what seems like weekly UFC cards compelling and competitive? I know it's an up and coming sport but I guess I'm old school and prefer boxing. I can watch UFC or Strikeforce, but I don't love it.

Worf

Last minute replacements have been more of a happening the past couple of years and almost never where concerned with a champion. As a rabid fan, I find a UFC card to be much more likely to be stacked top to bottom. It is so much fun to watch a fighter employ so many disciplines and watch the same fighter have to defend from those disciplines as well. Rarely, does a top fighter get a gimmee fight. The same cannot be said of Bellator or WSOF; they just do not have the talent. I turned to MMA after boxing dropped the ball many years back. I got tired of waiting to see champs defend their belt or fight quality opponents. I also got tired of having to pay for any fight of note. I miss seeing Thomas Hearns ko Pipino Cuevas on a Saturday afternoon on CBS kinda thing. I still watch boxing, but it is not the same.
:D

Well I totally agree though I don't mind the actor doing Foggy. I hope they don't spin off into the Ninja War stuff too heavy and I can't wait to see how they handle "Elektra"!

Worf

And Stick.....and Melvin Potter........and Bullseye.......and Turk.....I think that I need to break out my DD collection and reread it in its entirety.

Last minute replacements have been more of a happening the past couple of years and almost never where concerned with a champion. As a rabid fan, I find a UFC card to be much more likely to be stacked top to bottom. It is so much fun to watch a fighter employ so many disciplines and watch the same fighter have to defend from those disciplines as well. Rarely, does a top fighter get a gimmee fight. The same cannot be said of Bellator or WSOF; they just do not have the talent. I turned to MMA after boxing dropped the ball many years back. I got tired of waiting to see champs defend their belt or fight quality opponents. I also got tired of having to pay for any fight of note. I miss seeing Thomas Hearns ko Pipino Cuevas on a Saturday afternoon on CBS kinda thing. I still watch boxing, but it is not the same.

Yep...I feel the same way. I started following boxing when Cassius Clay and Sonny Liston fought and the following couple of decades of super stars..until boxing branched off into several federations, councils and various 'champions'. It sadly gradually lost it's luster to me.
MMA caught my interest years ago so much so...that when ever I channel surf and stop on 'Golden Boy' fights I usually become bored quickly and look for something else.
I tend to look at MMA...particularly UFC as already arrived rather than up and coming. Much more an exciting group of skill set than most of todays boxing IMO. Of course with mixed martial arts training and preparation, compared to boxing, also comes more chance of injuries effecting scheduled fights.
HD

Yep...I feel the same way. I started following boxing when Cassius Clay and Sonny Liston fought and the following couple of decades of super stars..until boxing branched off into several federations, councils and various 'champions'. It sadly gradually lost it's luster to me.
MMA caught my interest years ago so much so...that when ever I channel surf and stop on 'Golden Boy' fights I usually become bored quickly and look for something else.
I tend to look at MMA...particularly UFC as already arrived rather than up and coming. Much more an exciting group of skill set than most of todays boxing IMO. Of course with mixed martial arts training and preparation, compared to boxing, also comes more chance of injuries effecting scheduled fights.
HD

Yep...yep...yep...and yep.
Especially the arrived comment.....well other than in New York where it is still banned.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
The most recent Game of Thrones. It's interesting to see how they're dealing with story lines from the book. My wife, who hasn't read the books, keeps asking if this or that happened in the stories. Often the response is "yes, but not quite like this!". Makes for interesting and entertaining viewing.

Has anyone else seen the Honest Trailer for GoT on youtube? There's a hilarious line about the smug book readers.

The cars, the clothes, the women, guns---what is there not to like?

Dennis Farina is SHOCKINGLY younger in the show. He isn't half as hairy either. :p

I wondered how well it held up. As for Farina, if I remember correctly, his hair was jet black compared to the all white he is more known for. It is a shame he has passed on. I don't ever remember a bad performance.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Wolf Hall. Why do people waist their time with convoluted conspiracy theory's, when real life history is far more interesting?

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Wolf Hall. Why do people waist their time with convoluted conspiracy theory's, when real life history is far more interesting?

Yeah.... I knew nothing of this man nor his history till I started watching this show. Still, whenever I see "The King" I can only thing of Capt. Dick Winters from "Band of Brothers". God the English do American accents so well! The court of King Henry would give the Roman's a run for their money for low-dirt trickeration, betrayal, intrigue and double dealing.

Worf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn