Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

Worf

I'll Lock Up
I was trapped in a hotel room in Philly Friday nite. Wound up watching the History Channel... errr when did the History Channel officially become the "All Aliens All The Time Channel"? I'm old enough to remember when the H.C. had actual programs about HISTORY! On a similar note when did "The Learning Channel" become the modern day equivalent of Ringling Bros.? Little People, 600 pound people... two headed people... really? Is THAT all that sells?

Worf

I was trapped in a hotel room in Philly Friday nite. Wound up watching the History Channel... errr when did the History Channel officially become the "All Aliens All The Time Channel"? I'm old enough to remember when the H.C. had actual programs about HISTORY!...
Yeah, the only thing historical about the History Channel these days is the stuff they used to air that actually contained some sort of historical content. :rolleyes:

TV Show Round Up from the Fading Fasts:

"The Man in the High Castle:" New season, first few episodes - still very good / beautiful and powerful sets / engaging story (but needs to bring more clarity to the dual or multi-timeline angle very quickly) / Rufus Sewell deserves more than an Emmy for his work here.

"The Good Place:" End of Season 2 / start of season 3: this is not really a good show, but it does have its moments / William Harper, Kristen Bell and Ted Danson are the show - every other character could lift out and you wouldn't care - they are less impactful / less important to the show than Phoebe was on "Friends."

"God Friended Me:" First few episodes. The reason network TV is loosing out to streaming services and HBO-type efforts is revealed in this show. It's okay, even good in places, but soulless. It's slick more than smart. Everything come across as poll tested and reverse engineered; you don't feel any passion from the writers coming through, but it all looks pretty. Kinda fun premises - "God" friends on Facebook a well-known atheist to, so far, basically screw with him, but the last episode turned into a 1970's "do a good deed" show - sigh.

"A Million Little Things:" The Pilot. See comments about being too slick and soulless above. So far, it's a mix of "The Big Chill" and "Thirty Something" updated for 2018 with all the naval gazing that made those two effort, ultimately - despite having their engaging moments - painful. What this show and "God Friended Me" does prove is that Hollywood is not running out of pretty people.

"The Deuce" Several episodes season 2. It's the opposite of the two shows above where its passion / its gritty reality gives it more soul in any one scene than the big-budget network efforts offer in a season of most of their shows. And plenty of money is spent accurately recreating the '70s in "The Deuce," but like with "The Man in the High Castle," the story and character development comes first and the eye-candy - the wonderful sets, the good-looking actors - comes second. That's what the networks don't seem to understand.

Last edited:

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
NCAA football
Yesterday :(
NCAA football.png

I was trapped in a hotel room in Philly Friday nite. Wound up watching the History Channel... errr when did the History Channel officially become the "All Aliens All The Time Channel"? I'm old enough to remember when the H.C. had actual programs about HISTORY! On a similar note when did "The Learning Channel" become the modern day equivalent of Ringling Bros.? Little People, 600 pound people... two headed people... really? Is THAT all that sells?

Worf
Sadly, it has been like this for quite a while. If it isn’t a show about aliens , it’s a show about some doofus searching for Bigfoot or something that will not be solved/found. The National Geographic Channel seems to be going the same way.
:D

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
"A Million Little Things:" The Pilot. See comments about being too slick and soulless above. So far, it's a mix of "The Big Chill" and "Thirty Something" updated for 2018 with all the naval gazing that made those two effort, ultimately - despite having their engaging moments - painful. What this show and "God Friended Me" does prove is that Hollywood is not running out of pretty people.
I've been watching this one as well. I think I'm about to walk away. The pace and snippy, not-funny humor is terrible. It makes the characters unlikeable and unwatchable. This has to be a Millennial study thing. It seems like a common thing these days. The words aren't funny. The characters aren't funny. The pace and delivery are supposed to make it witty. Maybe I don't know anyone in real life who is only defined by their social quirks. Feels one dimensional and icky. I've never liked shows where every character plays a particular role to make up a complete human being, like a moving part rather than their own situation. They're all but locked into their deal from the first moments. The actress Stephanie Szostak must be known in Hollywood as "the good crier". Her shtick is crying. One last thing: I question how long a series can work when it is based off a single event. Like this show, it's quick to feel like the audience will be endlessly strung along to fill space and create another episode just to create another episode. Almost all shows end up there, but when I get that feel right from the beginning, it ain't good.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
My favorite :
Sadly, it has been like this for quite a while. If it isn’t a show about aliens , it’s a show about some doofus searching for Bigfoot or something that will not be solved/found. The National Geographic Channel seems to be going the same way.
:D

My favorite from H.C. was Amelia Earhart.
Mostly enjoyed the film footage/photos of A.E. even though the better part of the show was spent on explaining how they had found proof solving the mystery.
Yet at the conclusion, nothing new was found.
One TV Special related to one photograph featuring newly discovered evidence
showing Amelia just after she disappeared.
H.C. and FBI related that the photo proved the couple’s plane had crashed but survived and detained by the Japanese.
rtx3adwf-1.jpg

The documentary was pulled from H.C. when a Japanese military history blogger
identified by The Guardian as Kota Yamano who stated he found the photo in 1935
book.
A.E. & Fred Noonan were reported missing on July 1937.

Last edited:
I've been watching this one as well. I think I'm about to walk away. The pace and snippy, not-funny humor is terrible. It makes the characters unlikeable and unwatchable. This has to be a Millennial study thing. It seems like a common thing these days. The words aren't funny. The characters aren't funny. The pace and delivery are supposed to make it witty. Maybe I don't know anyone in real life who is only defined by their social quirks. Feels one dimensional and icky. I've never liked shows where every character plays a particular role to make up a complete human being, like a moving part rather than their own situation. They're all but locked into their deal from the first moments. The actress Stephanie Szostak must be known in Hollywood as "the good crier". Her shtick is crying. One last thing: I question how long a series can work when it is based off a single event. Like this show, it's quick to feel like the audience will be endlessly strung along to fill space and create another episode just to create another episode. Almost all shows end up there, but when I get that feel right from the beginning, it ain't good.

So far, we've only watched the pilot, but that and your comments, aren't encouraging us to go on. In addition to your spot on observations, it's the complete self absorption of the characters in their own lives - every little detail / thought / burp / etc., being fantastically interesting and needing to be analyzed - that turns me off.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Finished Season 3 of THE MAN IN THE HIGH CASTLE. Incredibly good, but left me hanging for sure. A couple of "Oh my gosh!" moments (Joe Blake and Julianna for one!) and maybe more questions than answers. Joel de la Fuente (who plays Inspector Kido) does an amazing job. I follow him on Twitter and told him he deserved an Emmy for his role and he responded to me (which is pretty darn cool) and thanked me!

Rufus Sewell...wow. Another amazing performance. And I see his character going through a battle of beliefs and I can't wait to see what he does in Season 4.

The sets and costumes and everything in this series is absolutely gorgeous. Everything is as period-authentic as they can get. Just an amazing series.

Just finished Season 3 of "Fargo". I think this one jumped the shark. Fargo always has walked the knife edge between kitschy and outright silliness and I think for this season they have crossed over into schlock. This in spite of a great cast and good performances but the writing, oh the writing.

Formeruser012523

Call Me a Cab
"God Friended Me:" First few episodes. The reason network TV is loosing out to streaming services and HBO-type efforts is revealed in this show. It's okay, even good in places, but soulless. It's slick more than smart. Everything come across as poll tested and reverse engineered; you don't feel any passion from the writers coming through, but it all looks pretty. Kinda fun premises - "God" friends on Facebook a well-known atheist to, so far, basically screw with him, but the last episode turned into a 1970's "do a good deed" show - sigh.

First, "God Friended Me." Didn't watch all of this, didn't want to watch any of it, but my Mother was watching it. It reminded me of a show called "Early Edition" that I liked early on and was a much better show. One of those "people helping people" shows that used to be done much better than they are now. This was just a mess and I was hoping it was only on the streaming service. No such luck. :rolleyes:

Don't know how anyone made it past the Pilot of "A Million Little Things." I barely made it through it. Was surprised they had the gall to do the PSA at the end of the thing. The entire episode seemed to be romanticizing suicide. Tasteless and awful. I guess they were trying to compete with "This Is Us" but I've never seen it, so I don't know how similar the shows are.

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
Don't know how anyone made it past the Pilot of "A Million Little Things." I barely made it through it. Was surprised they had the gall to do the PSA at the end of the thing. The entire episode seemed to be romanticizing suicide. Tasteless and awful. I guess they were trying to compete with "This Is Us" but I've never seen it, so I don't know how similar the shows are.
I don't watch This Is us either, but I've seen commercials and reviews. That makes sense. NBC seems to have writers that understand how to do this. Thinking Parenthood as well. I believe Fading Fast already said it, but it is also another opportunity to amass a bunch of beautiful actors. It really is that kind of empty.

3fingers

One Too Many
it's the complete self absorption of the characters in their own lives - every little detail / thought / burp / etc., being fantastically interesting and needing to be analyzed - that turns me off.
It's a Facebook world out there. Self absorption and fascination with our own burps sums it up perfectly. They're called selfies because narcissistie is too hard to spell.

Last edited:

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
60 Minutes. The piece on the NY subway was interesting, and the final piece of the night --on golden eagles, the Mongol hunters, the woman from Oklahoma, and falconry-- was truly fantastical. I recommend finding it and giving it a gander.

Kidding. I continue to grow more and more fond of this series. While it is very different, I get similar (but not quite the) enjoyment to Better Things. There's a lot there to absorb. Good on Jim Carrey.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn