Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

rjb1

Practically Family
Last night: PBS documentary on Bing Crosby ("American Masters")
Very good, and I think most FL people would like it.

Greyryder

One of the Regulars
I can't believe you admit to that! I swear I never watched it. I have the best witnesses money can buy!

I remember when it was a thing, but I think it was on after my bed time. Or, my folks just didn't want to watch it. Only one TV in the house, when I was a kid.

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
The Walking Dead (midseason finale :crazy: )
lame episode in typical, formulaic fashion. These eight episodes have been pretty much on the poor side. The hospital arc was weak. I haven't read the comics, but I'm surprised how much it feels like it is drained of any good ideas. It's great that they spend so much time on napalmed, melted bodies, but this show has no story working for it at all. Thought it was cheap to have the Glen & Maggie crew just show up out of nowhere. Gabriel is a horrible character. Can't he be purged sooner than later?

The Walking Dead (midseason finale :crazy: )
lame episode in typical, formulaic fashion. These eight episodes have been pretty much on the poor side. The hospital arc was weak. I haven't read the comics, but I'm surprised how much it feels like it is drained of any good ideas. It's great that they spend so much time on napalmed, melted bodies, but this show has no story working for it at all. Thought it was cheap to have the Glen & Maggie crew just show up out of nowhere. Gabriel is a horrible character. Can't he be purged sooner than later?

Purge Gabriel! Sounds like a good campaign. :p

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
Just finished watching the first season (10 episodes) of Hell On Wheels via Netflix. Been on a Western kick lately and it seems to fit the bill just fine.

I've never watched The Walking Dead. Used to be a big fan of zombie flicks up through most of Romero's films and beyond, but when something gets as mainstream as zombies have in recent years, I tend to turn off to it for some reason. Same with vampires. Used to love them until they started to sparkle and all that nonsense. I dunno, maybe I'm a closet hipster and just don't know it.

rjb1

Practically Family
I'm a big fan of "Hell on Wheels" myself, but be forewarned, if you haven't already noticed, that some of the plots make no sense at all.
However, HOW looks so good in an Old West sort of way that I just put the "willing suspension of disbelief" into high gear and keep on watching.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Last show I watched was Bletchley Circle, about a group of English women who were code breakers during WWII. The show is set in the early 50s and the women use their skills to solve crimes.

I watched an episode or two of The Walking Dead but couldn't get into it.

Last show I watched was Bletchley Circle, about a group of English women who were code breakers during WWII. The show is set in the early 50s and the women use their skills to solve crimes.

I enjoy "Bletchely Circle," the period sets and clothes are beautiful, but it wouldn't kill them to be a bit less cryptic with the plots, especially in season two. There are plenty of smarter people than me in the world, but in season two, I found myself struggling to follow some of the plots lines.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Having grown up on the Mary Martin version (I think I first watched it live in 1960 when I was five!), I had to check out this Peter Pan too. The complexity of the live production was very impressive, and it went off without any real gaffs. But this particular musical has always been problematical and uneven: some parts are really fun and/or moving, some parts are an embarrassment. Some scenes always come off a lot better than others, and this production was no exception.

As far as the performers, Allison Williams was awfully game and she didn't do anything wrong... but there was a coldness and distance to her portrayal that made her less likable and inspiring than Peter should be. And Christopher Walken's Captain Hook seemed less preening and epicene that it's usually played, with a bit of the typical Walken strangeness showing through. Again, he didn't do anything wrong, but it wasn't a brilliant reinterpretation. And I missed the usual (and dramatically effective) dual casting of Hook and Mr. Darling.

But I commend everyone involved in bringing off such a complex live presentation so well, and I'm sure a new generation of kids enjoyed it more than I did!

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
As far as the performers, Allison Williams was awfully game and she didn't do anything wrong... but there was a coldness and distance to her portrayal that made her less likable and inspiring than Peter should be.
That's her. That's her as Marnie (Girls), too. Like most actors, as you absorb their body of work, she gets cast as herself to a greater degree than lesser.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner