Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

Edward

Bartender
Recently watched the first season of American Horror Story on DVD. Cracking stuff - I loved the house. Can anyone explain something to me, though, please: the house was constantly referred to as "LA Victorian". Given that it was supposed to have been built in the twenties, it's obviously not a term that means the same as "Victorian" in the UK (the Victorian period having expired with the monarch over here). I assume it's like "Gothic Revival" - an architectural style? Great show. Very well written, and I enjoyed that they resisted the modern trend of over-exposition. The use of costume to create an instant sense of period with regards to each ghost / story strand was beautifully executed.

That's what I mean -- Connors really sold the character. Though what Lucas was doing marching in broad daylight down the main street of North Fork, rapid-firing his rifle, I've never been able to figure out.

This is not my usual post, as I think people see things like this where they don't exist, but notice the camera angle and scope, that was pretty aggressively suggestive.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Recently watched the first season of American Horror Story on DVD. Cracking stuff - I loved the house. Can anyone explain something to me, though, please: the house was constantly referred to as "LA Victorian". Given that it was supposed to have been built in the twenties, it's obviously not a term that means the same as "Victorian" in the UK (the Victorian period having expired with the monarch over here). I assume it's like "Gothic Revival" - an architectural style? Great show. Very well written, and I enjoyed that they resisted the modern trend of over-exposition. The use of costume to create an instant sense of period with regards to each ghost / story strand was beautifully executed.

There are a ton of "Victorian" homes in the northeast, NY State in particular. It's an architectural style usually found up on the "hill" in every industrial town in the Northeast U.S. Victorian homes here are large, opulent, with carriage houses, and servant quarters. Some were converted to apartments... others kept as single family dwellings for those with money for upkeep or lots and lots of kids. This style traveled everywhere in the U.S. and can be found almost anywhere.

Worf

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up

In the states, the Victorian house movement lasted into the 1920s. I am with you, it should end with Victoria! Although, it may be confusing to have so many Georgian periods in history! What is it, seven and counting?

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
American Genius: Oppenheimer vs. Heisenberg. Interesting how this is one of the instances, where the looser comes out better liked then the winner!

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
American Genius: Edison vs. Tesla. I am completely biased, since I pas the are were Tesla had his laboratory at least a couple of times a week!

Two and a Half Men
The episode where Alan is jealous of Lyndsey and Charlie and while spying on them at her housewarming party he gets sprayed by a skunk. What she saw in Alan I have no idea. :p
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ap8hmr9cQQ

As a happenstance watcher of the show - if it's on and catches my attention when I turn on the TV, I'll watch it - I don't know the complete storyline, but two things I think answer your question: (1) she's pretty and the producers want pretty women on that show to keep their male audience and (2) her character was, at her core, crazy - so no decision she makes has to make sense.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Shed and Buried.
A kind of British version of American Pickers but much more easy going.
Two friends go around buying stuff from their mates and people with like minded interests, they make the deal and drink tea.
Not quite as much money changes hands, sometimes very little and the word 'Cool' is perhaps used only once each program. Much more relaxed for us in England :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24