Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's For Breakfast...

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
I love summer weekday breakfast with my girlie. This morning was vanilla yogurt with blueberries and granola, buttered sourdough toast with cheese, and a cup of Yorkshire tea with Turbinado sugar and whole milk.
IMG_20180709_095453.jpg

3fingers

One Too Many
That's really nice. Adult Lily will have great memories from growing up.
Indeed. Some of my favorite memories from childhood involve eating breakfast with my grandparents. Breakfast at home was catch as catch can and a bowl of cereal was about as good as it got and was equivalent to leftover chocolate cake. We could have whatever we wanted as long as we fixed it ourselves.

Indeed. Some of my favorite memories from childhood involve eating breakfast with my grandparents. Breakfast at home was catch as catch can and a bowl of cereal was about as good as it got and was equivalent to leftover chocolate cake. We could have whatever we wanted as long as we fixed it ourselves.

That only increases the similarities. I was completely on my own for breakfast in my house growing up. The rule was simple, I could have anything (literally) I wanted, but I had to make it (or, really, put it on a plate) and clean it up myself - oh, and get the coffee pot up and running for my parents. I ate left over desserts for breakfast quite regularly (hence, I did have chocolate cake for breakfast).

But when I stayed with my grandmother, she actually made breakfast for both of us. And while it wasn't elaborate, it was a real meal versus my house - O.J., milk, some fruit and a hot cereal or, on other mornings, eggs and toast instead of the hot cereal. We'd sit together, eat and, then, clean up together - much more family like than my "don't bother us in the morning" parents. My grandmother was not a scripted-out-of-Hollywood warm-and-fuzzy grandmother - she was a tough woman who had had a hard life, but she was nice to me in her way and I felt that.

Well less than once a year, for some reason or other, my girlfriend and I will be in a nice hotel and we'll have breakfast in its dining room where they normally bring you juice to start. Then, I usually order eggs and toast or a hot bowl of cereal as it reminds me of breakfast with my grandmother. There was nothing fancy in my grandmother's small, one bedroom apartment, but since she always ate on real plates and with cloth napkins (paper was common in my parent's house), the hotel experience (I think it's the relative calm atmosphere) somehow captures my breakfasts with my grandmother in a way that an IHop, Friendly's or a diner doesn't.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko