Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's for Dinner?

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
How about cauliflower sautéed in sausage grease? :D
Or bacon, with onions...turns out really nice.

Pork chops. One with chipotle and garlic seasoning, and the other one with Lowry's garlic, flaming something, with smoked paprika.
Both came out great.
Bush's Country beans with Tapatio hot sauce and Vidalia onions chopped up in them.

Last night we got some of those pizza crusts you decorate yourself and made them with leftover spaghetti sauce (sausage, ground beef, and mushrooms in it) and LOTS of mozzarella. They weren't terrible, and the kids thought it was the coolest thing ever.

youbety2.jpg

You said the secret word! :p

pawineguy

One Too Many
Pounded some pork tenderloins into flat medallions, a little flour and paprika, sautéed, then a quick mustard cream sauce in the same pan to pour over the top. (Three ingredients in the sauce... shallots, dijon mustard and milk)

Hercule

Practically Family
Last night went to a local watering hole for dinner: Wife - buffalo chicken salad; son - spaghetti with meat sauce; me: liver and onions.

We quite often go to some lower end family restaurants/diners, and I find that if just can't decide what to get, liver and onions does the trick quite nicely. On that point my son (aged 8) much to my surprise, willingly tried my liver on a bet of $10! He gagged a bit, but it went down and stayed down, and he was $10 richer for it.

I was telling my sister about it and she said she wouldn't have done it for $100. Then I asked her about tripe, and she said she would have paid $10 to eat tripe. Ah, the fond memories of pickled tripe at my grandmother's house.

dnjan

One Too Many
You can keep your liver, but I wish I could find someplace that served heart (sliced and cooked like liver).
A childhood memory of something that mom used to make.

Last night I sliced a paté that I had made last weekend. Served on freshly-baked Italian bread as an appetizer while we waited for the brats (also home-made) to finish up on the grill. Brats were accompanied by some sautéed zucchini and onions.

Hercule

Practically Family
That's fine, liver isn't for everyone. I'd be game for heart, and I've never had any of the sweetbreads so throw those into the mix as well. Had a really really bad experience with some Braunschweiger about ten years ago that took a good week to get over, and I haven't been back since, so I'll pass on the pate for the time being. My wife often kids me about how much offal constitutes my list of comfort foods.

dnjan

One Too Many
I made a pork rillettes a couple of weeks ago that people swore reminded them of Braunschweiger, but there was no liver in it. Just pork shoulder, pork jelly (from making the pork confit used to make the rillettes), a bit of lard and seasoning.
The paté has a very small amount of liver (since I don't like the stuff).

That's fine, liver isn't for everyone. I'd be game for heart, and I've never had any of the sweetbreads so throw those into the mix as well. Had a really really bad experience with some Braunschweiger about ten years ago that took a good week to get over, and I haven't been back since, so I'll pass on the pate for the time being. My wife often kids me about how much offal constitutes my list of comfort foods.

I have never had a problem with liver. Even as a kid I liked it. :p Bacon on top helps though.

I'm not a big fan of cow's livers, but every now and the I like some southern fried chicken livers. Usually from a gas station, accompanied by a tall can of ice cold beer in a paper sack.

And covered in hot sauce.

Tonight we're having leftover chicken and dumplings, with cut up carrots, potatos, and green beans thrown in. Feeds more kids like that.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Good Lord man!
I'm a Southerner but I swear I'm not eating anything "livers."
I've eaten some weird stuff before, but never those.

Friday night, so the wife wanted pizza.
4 meat again.

Steak tomorrow, as I've had it in the fridge since Wednesday, with Arby's fries and Tapatio hot sauce.
Pizza again Sunday night, or at least cooking it for the upcoming week.
I have 3lbs of cheese go use, since I didn't make them last week!

I'm not a big fan of cow's livers, but every now and the I like some southern fried chicken livers. Usually from a gas station, accompanied by a tall can of ice cold beer in a paper sack.

And covered in hot sauce.

Tonight we're having leftover chicken and dumplings, with cut up carrots, potatos, and green beans thrown in. Feeds more kids like that.

Chicken livers from a gas station?! You like to liver dangerously! I won’t even mention the lousy fizzy water :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21