Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's something modern you won't miss when it becomes obsolete?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The word "digital"

Body spray on men

Body spray on women

Air conditioning systems in public buildings that recirculate the same foul body spray-laden air ad infinitum.

People who pay a dollar more for a bag of dry navy beans because of where they were grown.

Anglo-Americans who say "thanks, muchacha" and think they're being multicultural.

People who don't look at the traffic lanes painted on the street before deciding which lane they need to be in.

Dashboard dining.

Baseball uniforms with long, sloppy pants.

Basketball uniforms with long, sloppy shorts.

Football uniforms that look like something from an Iron Man movie.

Iron Man movies.

People who say "methinks" and aren't in a Shakespeare play.

Cartoonists who can't draw.

Americans who call the bathroom the "loo."

"Coffee culture."

The phrase "Just sayin'."

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
The word "digital"

We gentlemen of a certain age don't much care for the word "digital", either. Particularly when spoken by our physician during an examination.:eeek:

"Coffee culture."

"Coffee Culture"? Is that the name for the fuzzy stuff that I find growing in the bottom of a dried-out cup of coffee which I had left on my work-bench for a month or two?

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Maybe it's a wrap if it's healthy, and a burrito if it's not. :D
Good point though. We make turkey burger wraps because they don't have beans and cheese in them. If we put those in it, then it becomes a turkey burrito. Don't encourage my wife or I'll be in the kitchen all night whipping up stuff to put in these things!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The word "epic" when referring to things that are not, in fact, tales of Homeric scope.

Cassette-tape belt buckles.

Gas station jackets worn by people who wouldn't last five minutes actually working in a gas station.

People who steal catch-phrases from Richard Dawkins to show what boid "free thinkers" they are.

Auto-fill.

The Menopausal Helmet.

People who claim a deep understanding of every cultural heritage but their own.

CNN.com

Banks with six teller stations, only two of which are ever open.

People who say "you know, you can do that online now."

South Park.

The word "twee."

Foxer55

A-List Customer
One pet peeve I have:

Someone asking me for an "input" or giving me their "input." Input? Input! Input is a machine word. I'm not a machine and they aren't a machine. That word emerged in the 1970s as the act of articulating a physical command into or inserting data into a computer. Its a machine word fer cryin' outloud. So, some hip manager started using it as a cool vernacular for "inputing" orders to his employee and everybody thought it was so groovy they started using it themselves. I ain't a machine so I will accept or offer recommendations and suggestions. I think the subtlety of using that word is not well understood. Why would I "input" information to someone who isn't a machine?

You've got to be kidding! :doh:

04.jpg

I've got drawers full of these cassettes of 1920s and '30s dance bands that I taped off the radio over the years. Some of the cassettes are 30 years old!

CharleneC

Familiar Face
One pet peeve I have:

Someone asking me for an "input" or giving me their "input." Input? Input! Input is a machine word. I'm not a machine and they aren't a machine. That word emerged in the 1970s as the act of articulating a physical command into or inserting data into a computer. Its a machine word fer cryin' outloud. So, some hip manager started using it as a cool vernacular for "inputing" orders to his employee and everybody thought it was so groovy they started using it themselves. I ain't a machine so I will accept or offer recommendations and suggestions. I think the subtlety of using that word is not well understood. Why would I "input" information to someone who isn't a machine?

You are correct. When people ask me for my two cents worth I always tell them that ideas and opinions are not money. I cannot stand it when language is so terribly abused.

hatguy1

One Too Many
One pet peeve I have:

Along similar lines, I would so LOVE to do away with the buzzword speak that seems so popular in today's business world. We dont' work with someone or some other organization, we "partner with them" and "support" them (what are we bridge pillars now?). We don't quickly accomplish little things we "capture the low hanging fruit." We can't work together and maximize skills. Rather we leverage and synergize. And blahblahblahblah. It's getting so we almost need English subtitles to understand this nonsense anymore.

This is definitely one "modern" thing that I won't miss when it falls out of fashion and (please, God!) disappears.

3fingers

One Too Many
Along similar lines, I would so LOVE to do away with the buzzword speak that seems so popular in today's business world.
Anybody interested or affected by anything, no matter how inconsequential is now a "stakeholder". Don't know why, but that one really chaps my behind. My former boss would have been mute if he couldn't speak in buzzese. He thought it made him look smart or "cutting edge".
It mostly just annoyed the devil out of anyone who had to listen to him.

Along similar lines, I would so LOVE to do away with the buzzword speak that seems so popular in today's business world. We dont' work with someone or some other organization, we "partner with them" and "support" them (what are we bridge pillars now?). We don't quickly accomplish little things we "capture the low hanging fruit." We can't work together and maximize skills. Rather we leverage and synergize. And blahblahblahblah. It's getting so we almost need English subtitles to understand this nonsense anymore.

This is definitely one "modern" thing that I won't miss when it falls out of fashion and (please, God!) disappears.

What drives me nuts is how they refer to the corporate headquarters as a "campus." Are we still in school???

Last edited:
As I've alluded to in my previous post, one of the things I don't like about e-readers is that you don't really own the books. I still remember a few years ago when Amazon didn't have the publishing rights to Orwell's 1984, appropriately enough, so they deleted it from everyone's accounts.

There are downsides to ereaders, just as there downsides to books. I like my Kindle because I travel a lot, and it's easy to have lots of choices without having to carry around the books. I can take my entire Sherlock Holmes collection plus a dozen more books in half the space of one magazine.

As for which is more impressive, I don't read to impress people.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy