Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's the Best/Worst Advice Your Parents Gave You?

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
I was thinking about things I've learned from my parents - which is a great deal - and came up with this question for all of you.

What is the best and what is the worst advice your parents gave you?

In my life, both came from my mother.

Best: I was always afraid of being beaten up when I was a kid, so when I was in junior high school, my mother told me, "Don't waste your life being afraid of something that'll last only five minutes." I've learned what that means, and practice it every day.

Worst: I have no idea why she told me this, but, "If you're going to steal, steal big. That way, you can pay to get yourself out of jail." I've never considered testing this! lol

Lee

"Good advice costs nothing and it's worth the price." - Alan Sherman (From his song, Good Advice.)

Nashoba

One Too Many
When I was 16 my mother came into my room and said
"I don't believe in accidents so be sure you never have one"
It took me a while to figure out what she was talking about. She also had the habit of telling me "May you have children like yourself" I was never quite sure if she was trying to curse me or not.

The best advice she ever gave me though was 'don't lie. It isn't worth the trouble it causes and it's too hard to keep track of what lie to told to which person.'
The other thing she said (and still tells me to this day) is 'timing is everything. screw up the timing and you can forget whatever it is you were trying to get (this mostly referred to asking my dad for things)

CharlieH.

One Too Many
The best and worst advice I ever got was rolled up into one - "Respect everyone and don't insult anyone or anything". While I'm all for treating people respectfully, the repeated hammering of that bit left me unable to defend myself for most of my childhood and with a sheepishness that still lingers...

S

Samsa

I'm not sure they've given me bad advice. And the good advice is too much to write down.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Father, best: If you find yourself depressed, go out and get a second job; you'll be so busy, you won't have time to be depressed.

It's true, I found out.

Father worst: Girls don't go to college, girls sit on their butts for two years and then they get married.

I opted for college.

Mother, worst: Be nice to everyone, you never know whose *** you have to kiss before you die.

Mother gave me lots of advice, I don't think I listened to much of it. She did help me get through college, however, and, for that, I am forever grateful.

karol

S

Samsa

Well, one thing. My Dad told me "don't follow leaders, and watch your parking meters." Which of course came from Dylan, but still, I heard it from my Dad first.

Bebop

Practically Family
Best advice from both parents: "Many of your mistakes will be overlooked if you are polite, on time and a gentleman.":)

Best from my father: "When in doubt, drop your ego and use your brain", which is a phrase that has kept me from making a fool of myself many times.:eusa_doh:

Best from my mother: "Don't sweat over the small stuff but don't forget about it either". That worked wonders when I bought my first house.

Worst advice: "Don't worry about money. As long as you are happy, you don't need much money." I am not quite sure it's bad advice but I do know that the world has changed since that advice was given to me.

luvthatlulu

Suspended
This didn't come from my parents, but

I think it's pretty good advice nonetheless: (Also not exactly sure of the quote, but it goes something like this) "Be kind to everyone you meet, for a stranger might be an angel unawares."

;)

Vornholt

One of the Regulars
From both parents:
"Buy cheap things at a cheap store, and expensive things at an expensive store."

Hasn't failed me yet.

K

killertomata

Good, mom; There are reasons for everything but excuses for nothing

Worst, dad: It's all in your head! (Whether it was an earache, an asthma attack or pain from a broken arm, the man's answer to everything was that, and he said it to us from the time were tiny kids.)

Doh!

One Too Many
Best: Never trust the other guy's blinker (I've avoided many an accident by hesitating at intersections that involve stop signs.)

Worst: Move to California? What are ya', nuts?? (OK, that's not really advice but it's the closest I can think of.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24