Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Whats up with new multi role fighter ?

SteveZ

One of the Regulars
I reside just outside NAS OCEANA in Virginia Beach and often ask the fighter pilots if they are excited about being equipped with the new F35 jet. Not one guy I chatted with ever got excited over this very expensive new toy they are about to receive in the near future. Ouch ! I didnt even see that coming.

I know the US NAVY likes their attack and fighter aircraft to be designed with two engines so you can limp home if one engine is damaged but the NAVY bought this design anyway.

Wonder how the MARINES and US AIR FORCE feel about their versions ? Now president elect TRUMP thinks the program is way out of budget.

WHATS UP WITH ALL THIS ??

Bartender Edit: let's keep the President Elect - and any other politician for that matter - out of it. Please remember the Fedora Lounge is a politics-free zone.

Last edited by a moderator:

Harp

I'll Lock Up
I know the US NAVY likes their attack and fighter aircraft to be designed with two engines so you can limp home if one engine is damaged but the NAVY bought this design anyway.

Wonder how the MARINES and US AIR FORCE feel about their versions ? Now president elect TRUMP thinks the program is way out of budget.

WHATS UP WITH ALL THIS ??

Ground-air coordination issues aside, air cover is wonderful to have, and keeping pace with tech change is fine-Trump is probably right
so his prezproctorship is fine by me. The pilots are fantastic and can lay the law down when its needed.:D

Inkstainedwretch

One Too Many
As I understand it, the problem with the F35 is not the concept but the interminable development time and the unbelievable cost overruns. Incredible amounts of money have been poured into the program and an aircraft that matches the projected capabilities is still not flying. At some point someone has to say that this project is going nowhere and further expenditure is money down a rathole. Only the sunk cost fallacy is keeping it going.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Junior officers are not to ask why, they are to do or die!

I was in Greece when the Colonels ruled and got caught in a Greek para coup d'état which the Hellenic Air Force snuffed out with F-4 Phantoms.
The s..t-hit-the-fan and I saw a dozen Greek paras disappear-air power's punch.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Canada opted to buy this, for reasons related mainly to industrial commitment (we participated in the development), but it was put on hold by the last group of unmentionables running the country and is now up for reconsideration by the current group of unmentionables of a different unmentionable bent. There will be a new competition, but a touchy subject, as our current unmentionables ran on a platform of NOT selecting this a/c! The competition people freak out at this type of thing.

I do hope we choose something else. Single engine fighter for the second largest country on Earth that can't afford multiple a/c types, and never, ever, buy the first generation of anything!

Oddly, we're buying 18 Super Hornets as a "stop gap" measure to ensure we can meet commitments until we replace our current Hornets. With whatever...

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Oddly, we're buying 18 Super Hornets as a "stop gap" measure to ensure we can meet commitments until we replace our current Hornets. With whatever...

Franz Osinga's Science, Strategy, and War: The Strategic Theory of John Boyd; also, Coram's Boyd are somewhat out of favor with the US military today,
but offer outstanding analysis of myopic mindset related to fighter design and production.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda