Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's With Smoking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gilbey

One of the Regulars
[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gCMzjJjuxQI&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gCMzjJjuxQI&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Gone is the era where doctors recommend smoking or the Duke and his Camel days. Nowadays it is discouraged: we've got non smoking sections and/or no smoking at all in most places of business. A lot of smoker's program to quit smoking popping everywhere. But somehow, we still have some people getting started especially in their teens. Women smokers are even more repulsive to me.

So what is it? Does it make you look more mature, more distinguished? Peer pressure and being in the "in" crowd? I started to try smoking as a teen since my Dad was a heavy smoker too (until now), so he in fact encouraged me but it didn't stick for long. (Mom wasn't into it either.) It's just not for me as I see no purpose. It's bad for your health, bad for your witness, and a waste of money to burn (literally).

Now I see my little nephew (18 yrs. old) joining the trend too. :rolleyes:

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
I can't say for teen boys, but for girls it's the hope of easy weight loss. When I was a teen, my friends all said it was like magic for stopping hunger. Of course, we know this to be true, but cancer is more hazardous to the health than obesity.

High Pockets

Practically Family
As a former smoker who enjoyed it for over twenty years, along with the majority of the rest of the nation, I can't tell you....your questions have been asked by millions of people and I'm afraid there are no definate answers.

Here's what I wonder; How many tobacco-nazis who are so worried about everyone's health are out there right now sending a text-message to someone while driving down the same road that my grand-daughter is being driven to her T-ball game on?

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
High Pockets said:
Here's what I wonder; How many tobacco-nazis who are so worried about everyone's health are out there right now sending a text-message to someone while driving down the same road that my grand-daughter is being driven to her T-ball game on?

So, your point is that people who are opposed to smoking are hypocrites? What does careless driving have to do with smoking?

DutchIndo

A-List Customer
Like some loungers I like a nice Cigar to relax. My Dr. says " Can't you just relax with some Lemonade ? " Sorry not the same. I was suprised the last time
I was at the Airport to see enclosed Smoking rooms. It kind of reminded of those TB rooms they had last century. I think Women on cell phones annoy me more than ones smoking.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
This thread has the potential to become a huge argument.

Gilbey, you may not agree with smokers, but nobody has the right to preach. Yes, we know it's a health disaster; Yes, the government is pushing people to quit; Yes, it's baffling why people start smoking with so much knowledge - But that is their choice. Just as it is their choice to quit. I have never smoked before, but countless people I know have. I have seen some quit cold turkey, and some struggle with patches and relapses. Smoking is an addiction, and addictions are tough to fight, no matter who you are.

This is not to say that I condone smoking - I absolutely do not. However I also do not condone preaching and finger-waving. Nobody can tell you how to live your life.

Gilbey

One of the Regulars
C-dot said:
This is not to say that I condone smoking - I absolutely do not. However I also do not condone preaching and finger-waving. Nobody can tell you how to live your life.

Just a personal opinion, mam, with all due respect.

NY_Confidential

Familiar Face
taking a tour of my college campus, and my high school campus... there ain't that many kids smoking anymore.
in fact, this is probably due in a small part (not a large part), but in small part.. to Long Island requiring kids to be 19 to buy cigarettes.

that being said. I smoke. and I like it.

If we really want to get preachy, I can talk about how alcohol should be banned in public places and taxed heavily instead of cigarettes. It kills a lot more folks than cigarettes. Never saw a guy who smoked 3 packs a day go into a rage and beat up his wife, did you? Never saw someone sell their body so that they could buy that next bag of chew. And I never saw someone rob their own mother so they could afford a bag of pipe tobacco. Seen it all with alcohol tho.

I don't particularly mind the folks who don't smoke, so they don't want to be around it.

The people who I want to kill are the ones who USED to smoke, and then complain about smoking. I can understand smoking near someone who recently quit.. may entice them to smoke, or make them want to smoke.. and that's cool. I'll stand back and smoke away from them.. but please dont go on and on and on and on about "it makes your clothes stink. it smells horrible. it makes the car stink". And def. don't tell me not to smoke, in my OWN car.

Back to age.. I agree, slightly here.. I'd advocate pushing the smoking AND drinking laws to age 25.

Ever watch a frat party? Kids from 17-21 boozing it up all night? No one ever seems to get in much trouble for that-- but gosh-- smoke inside your dorm room and see what happens!

Johnnysan

One Too Many
carnac.jpg

I see a thread closing soon...

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Yes, the tone of this from the start was not right for the Lounge.

It's one thing to throw an idea into the great public debate, and it's always better when that is done and it is tied into something vintage-related, but when harsh judgments are made in the initial post, it can go nowhere, but done.

And so it has.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner