Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's your alltime favorite movie?

anselmo1

One of the Regulars
1. Svengali (1931)
2. Grand Hotel (1932)
3. The Blue Dahlia (1946)
4. The Big Sleep (1946)
5. Murder My Sweet (1944)
6. Camille (1936)
7. Johnny Eager (1942)
8. Comrade X (1940)
9. Foreign Correspondent (1940)
10. Goodbye, Mr. Chips (1939)

35851860_o.jpg

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Nope, not just one for me either. That's impossible, so I'll just list a few (by the way, I'm a big Carey Grant fan):

Older Movies:
Roman Holiday
Breakfast At Tiffany's
Casablanca
An Affair To Remember
To Catch A Thief
Philadelphia Story
Bringing Up Baby
Charade
The Wizard of Oz
The Sound of Music

Modern Movies:
Bright Young Things
The Aviator
The English Patient
The Notebook
(I know this is silly, but I really like the clothes!)

Shearer

Practically Family
No, not just one

The Women! I think every time I watch it, I hear a zinger I never heard before. What an ensemble cast.

The Killing. All the money blowing away...

The Bad Seed. The scene where Leroy is telling Rhoda there's a little pink and blue electric chairs for children? Ha!

The Little Foxes
State Fair
Shadow of a Doubt
Adam's Rib

Favourite movie moments and I'll shut up!:
1) Quint's story of the Indianapolis in Jaws
2) Inigo Montoya telling Count Rugen he wants his father back in The Princess Bride
3) Alice stepping off the cliff in Last of the Mohicans

Okay, that's it. See what happens when I start in on movies??

Eleanor Marie

One of the Regulars
Favourite......

Hmm....... has to be "Jane Eyre" ( Joan Fontaine Version) - its my favourite book too. I also love "The Wicked Lady"; James Mason... swoon and Margaret Lockwood's Eyebrows!!!! Modern films; The English Patient, Indiana Jones trilogy ..having trouble thinking!

vintage68

Practically Family
miss1934 said:
If you had to pick one favorite movie of all time, what would you pick and why? I am at a real fork in the rod with this decision and can barely narrow myself down to five. I love shallow thirties comedies but I would hate to pick something shallow as my favorite movie of all time. I almost think I would have to do it by decade, but that defies the point of one overall favorite movie. What do you all think?

Why would you hate to pick something shallow? Speaking for myself my favorite guilty pleasure is Last Man Standing with Bruce Willis. Not deep by any means, but I love the 1930's period gangster look and happen to be an afficionado of 1911 pistols and film noir. Great clothes, great dialogue, great photography, and great action sequences=great movie.

I went to film school and can appreciate the fine cinematography, the great albeit over the top hokey action sequences with incredible audio, etc. I can appreciate all that, but the fact is I just plain love the movie. Enjoying something shallow really does not define who you are....

Anyone that would give me the high hat for liking this movie can go dangle!

WH1

Practically Family
Great thread

Lots of great movies.
I like that someone included Desk Set, probably the most underrated of the Tracy/Hepburn movies.
Best scene of any movie is the final speech by spencer tracy in guess who's coming to dinner, the look in Katherine Hepburns eyes and the way tracy talks is amazing it must have been very personal and difficult for both of them in light of his terminal illness.

other movies:
western-Monte Walsh the Lee Marvin/Jack Palance version, one of the truest western movies ever made, language, equipment, everything dead on, a great story.

Sports-Chariots of Fire, clothing with style, story with style Saw this when I was in college and I still want Ben Cross wardrobe.

Christmas-A Christmas Story, I want a lady leg lamp.

Crime-The Godfather or The Green Mile

Comedy-The Philadelphia Story

Anything with Cary Grant:eusa_clap

Guilty Pleasure and all time favorite-The original Oceans Eleven, they had style in spades.

Jay

Practically Family
miss1934 said:
polls are so limiting though, I always want to chose something that isnt listed. Have you read The Big Sleep? The book is excellent and quite short, you could breeze through it in a matter of hours.
Better late than never. I read it as soon as I seen part of the movie. Now I've read all the stories featuring Philip Marlowe.

Focus:It might not be my favorite in traditional terms, but I can watch The Fifth Element non-stop and not get tired of it.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
I don't know if I could pick just one.

My short list would include:

The Thin Man
Casablanca
Notorious
The Women

I could watch those 4 forever.

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
"American Graffiti" was great for many reasons, 1962? America was about to change in a profound way and these high school seniors were embarking on adulthood. This is a favorite movie of mine for many other reasons, too.

Badluck Brody

Practically Family
Torn between..

Not sure if I answered to this thread yet...

My all time favorite is actually a miniseries... Lonesome Dove

My favorite movie has always been Raiders of the Lost Ark!!!

Then a toss up between the Natural and Cinderella Man...

Nah... I gotta go with The Natural! It's back when baseball still had a magic to it

Rundquist

A-List Customer
Catch 22
The Wild Bunch
Blade Runner
The Man Who Would Be King
The Treasure of The Sierra Madre

Those 5 always pop into my head when I think of my favorites. I also dig the original miniseries Lonesome Dove with Robert Duvall and Tommy Lee Jones.

Honorable mention – Showgirls

Just Kidding. [huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner