Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's your favorite shopping site? (For vintage!)

pdxvintagette

A-List Customer
Well ladies, I'm asking this, with I admit a bit of marketplace research in mind. Although I'm happy to share my own opinions, too!

When you're shopping for vintage, do you most prefer Ebay, Etsy, Ruby Lane, or private vintage websites?

I love ebay, because I've been there shopping for so long, but have had some pretty bitter shopping disappointments that I haven't experienced elsewhere. I have a favorite online independant site that I regularly browse, and sometimes actually shop from, and they are stellar. New to Etsy, and considering Ruby Lane. Both of these are interesting because of their very different customer bases, I think.

So, what do you like best? If you don't mind sharing, I think this could be an interesting discussion!

SayCici

Practically Family
I use both Etsy and Ebay but vastly prefer Etsy. Personally I find that the majority of sellers care more about each particular item, researching the era and describing it faithfully. Not to mention the service is a lot better and I don't scratch my head over the shipping costs. And like most people tout, it really does feel more like a 'community', whilst ebay is like a huge warehouse with no holds barred.

But I'd never swear off ebay as I have gotten nice things there, and of course you can get some nice deals.

I don't bother with any other sites, and I'd actually never seen the Ruby Lane one. The other sites are usually much more expensive (I understand why, I'm just saying I'll never have that kind of money, but even if I did I'd think it silly) or the organization is really poor, so you have to sift through 80 pages without being able to put in keywords.

texasgirl

One Too Many
I mainly buy things on ebay or etsy or Vintage Martini (a friend and nearby to try on). I think I've bought a couple things off Ruby Lane, but not clothing. I do check out a few others from time to time- Woodland Farms, Ballyhoo Vintage. I'm going to try and stop by Dorthea's Closet when I go to Iowa in September. I'll pay more if I can try it on. I don't like to pay more when I have such a hard time with fit.

Shirin

A-List Customer
I but a lot from eBay. I've only had one bad experience in about 6 years of buying and selling~~knock on wood~~knock, knock.
I've also had good experience with Ruby Lane, very fast shipping and items were as described.
I also shop on etsy, Love etsy! Good prices and friendly sellers.
I haven't had any bad experiences yet, that I can recall.
Recently, I found another (private company) site that sells vintage patterns at a pretty decent price.

SayCici

Practically Family
Laura Chase said:
I think Etsy should get some better search options. I don't have time to look through 200 pages, or 50 for that matter. Any tips on how to search for things on Etsy?
Keywords and the price limit! I'm home all day and I've already done the "I am so bored I could sit here and look through every page" thing, so now I just look at the first couple until I see stuff I recognize.

I usually use 1940/40s, 1950/50s (some people use one and not the other so I check both), dress, shoes, or whatever I'm looking for, and sometimes set a maximum price. You can also exclude search terms, like: "-70s -80s -polyester -large".

They have categories just like eBay, but you'll have to start adding your own search terms to get the results you want!

Foofoogal

Banned
I am on Etsy and the search is a mess. So many variables. Vintage is 20 years old there so you must keep that in mind. Antiques are:
100 years or older
50 to 75 years
75 to 100 years

but you must go to the vintage category to see the antique category if searching by categories. :eusa_doh:

You must use alot of different words to find different things. Become a wordaholic. lol
I went there as a buyer first and guess the charm of buying vintage there is it is a treasure hunt. Never know what you will run across when you use certain words.
http://www.sandysfancypants.blogspot.com

I have gotten the best deals on Ruby Lane for vintage clothing. I have also bought on ebay and etsy (I sell on etsy too).
I think Etsy is still up and coming with vintage. It has great potential for becoming much bigger then it is. The sellers are much more professional I think then some that are ebay.

exquisitebones

A-List Customer
Etsy.

I stopped shopping on ebay Eons ago.. too many corrupt sellers, crazy bid wars and I hate selling on there, the fees are pure insanity.
:(

I like to shop on Etsy. And from time to time I pop in at small independantly owned vintage shop websites. those work.

Truthfully, I am a bargain shopper though. I will hunt hunt and hunt some more to get what I want a low price. I dont generally spend more than 40$ on ANYTHING vintage. Because I know I can and will eventually find it way cheaper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy