Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

When is a suit or a blazer too worn to wear?

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I know this is subjective but I'd be interested in canvasing views on this. I sometimes wear a 40 year old tweed jacket with leather trim around the edge of the sleeve where the fabric has worn through. Some people tell me it should be thrown away. I tell them George Orwell used to wear similar repairs on his jacket in the 1930's. They ask me, who is George Orwell...

We love vintage items, but when is something too worn to be seen with in public (and I'm not talking weddings or events, just ordinary wear)?

I have a few blazers where the lining is threadbare and I wonder about hanging on to them. Sometimes fabric gets a little shiny or baggy, sometimes fabric needs some stitching to repair it. Cord, moleskin and tweed seem to be okay with wear but suits, blazers.... Any views on this?

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Sujective, as you say... I take it you're not talking about actual blazers, but sports jackets/ odd jackets?
Personally, I've bought lock, stock and barrel the pre-war standard that lounge suits are just street clothes. Of course there is still a formality scale (if formality scale is the word I want) within the range of lounge suits. Unless we're talking about suits that look they were intended for business wear and business wear alone, I wouldn't hesitate to wear jackets with worn linings, small repairs, or tiny nibbles.
I'm not sure what I'd do with shiny fabrics; I try to avoid fabrics that can get shiny in the first place. If I had a vintage suit in worsted that got shiny, I couldn't say whether it would keep me from wearing it. It might, though.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I think tweed is one of those cloths that can look great when it a bit battered. A few moth nips here and there, repairs on the sleeve ends etc - it just it that 'lived in' look. Also the nature of most tweeds means that moth nips don't show up to the same extent they would on a plain wool suit. There's one shop in London that sometimes sells amazing old jackets (amidst the piles of dross) and I've seen them selling suit jackets that probably date back to the 1920s. But they always seem to have their moth damage on the lapels in a really obvious place. For me, that makes the difference between wearing and not wearing - you struggle to hide holes like that (unless it's somewhere where a flower in the button hole, or a badge, will conceal it).

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I think it all comes down to being a matter of personal preference. For myself, I don't mind wearing garments that are a bit threadbare but I can't tolerate fraying, holes or stains. If my reweaver and cleaners, who are both magicians, can't make an undetectable fix then I'll pass the item on to a charity shop.

For me, it's a matter of degree and a matter of what circumstances. So, for example, I have a dark grey herringbone wool overcoat that is twenty years old and the collar and cuffs have frayed a bit and the button holes are sagging, but otherwise it is in good shape (no stains, tears or holes and I replaced the liner a few years back). To me this is a fine overcoat to wear running errands or walking in the park on a cold day or going to breakfast at a diner. However, I wouldn't wear it to a business meeting, dinner in a nice restaurant or to a wedding. I personally can't stand stains (so if a noticeable stain can't be cleaned away, the garment is done for me) - but fraying in well-made wool or cotton clothing, just means that article gets demoted to more pedestrian wear. I actually enjoy these garments as they have been through a lot with me, have a feeling of being well worn and look, to me, beautiful in the way my grandparents do as age is mark of time and life lived.

skydog757

A-List Customer
I try to envision myself wearing a worn or favorite blazer to a public place, such as a store or movie theatre, and running into someone I know. If I don't care to be seen in it, it has to go. And I do not ask my wife what she thinks, as I'd be rid of all of my favorites. And I agree with Fading Fast; a stain is a deal killer.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Thanks all. Yes, stains are a total no no, but genuine wear can look interesting. But wear in a suit - you look kind of down and out.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Thanks all. Yes, stains are a total no no, but genuine wear can look interesting. But wear in a suit - you look kind of down and out.
Do you know what that conjurs up? This comic genius:

[video=youtube;Li5BCroOewM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Li5BCroOewM[/video]

Good point. I wear worn overcoats and sport coats in situations - as described above - such as running errands or grabbing breakfast in a local diner that are informal and casual, but have never worn a worn suit. A suit is always employed in a situation (at least any that I could think of) where it would be wrong for it to be frayed.

Claudio

Vendor
Agree with what has mostly been said. I would however add that alot also has to do with your usual style, how the item is worn (if you can pull it off naturally), and the situation it will be worn ...... an also (maybe) your age? I mean a uni student of 22 yrs can get away with it easier than say a 50 something year old? That said, tweed and flannel yes, worsted probably not

Agree with what has mostly been said. I would however add that alot also has to do with your usual style, how the item is worn (if you can pull it off naturally), and the situation it will be worn ...... an also (maybe) your age? I mean a uni student of 22 yrs can get away with it easier than say a 50 something year old? That said, tweed and flannel yes, worsted probably not

Every time I come back to this thread another good point has been made. I think you are spot on about tweed and flannel versus worsted. Somehow, the former seem to age and even fray with a certain respectful shabbiness; whereas, worsted just looks worn out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy