Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where can I find this style of hat??

rlk

I'll Lock Up
It is a felt Homburg in an off-white/cream color and should be widely available. You might also consider a similar style in a straw Panama for summer with linen.

jwalls

Vendor
The yellow homburg is probably a wool felt costume hat. I'd have to check with Winchester to see if they make that color in rabbit.:eusa_doh: :eusa_doh:

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Niven1932 said:
Thanks very much guys. Excellent advice.

Found one here in the UK: http://www.hatsandcaps.co.uk/Bailey-Hats-Wool-Homburg-P130052/

The ones linked to by rlk do look a better shape though.
Also. But the one you reference is wool. If you want to keep the hat for a long time and have it be a quality item, I'd go for the felt, you'd see the difference. But if it's just for a few wearings, especially as a temporary costume, I'd save my money and go for the wool.

laotou

One of the Regulars
rlk said:
It is a felt Homburg in an off-white/cream color and should be widely available. You might also consider a similar style in a straw Panama for summer with linen.
Hummm... a straw Homburg you say? That would be nice. Any leads on that one rlk?

rlk

I'll Lock Up
laotou said:
Hummm... a straw Homburg you say? That would be nice. Any leads on that one rlk?
If you have the funds Aerol's Optimo Hats suggestion is tops. Milan's are more common and available from major brands. Many Panamas with med-wide brims can be obtained inexpensively and re-blocked to a Homburg form or purchased un-blocked. Obviously this requires a hatter or the appropriate blocks and experience. Vintage examples are somewhat rare( I have an Ecuadorian Supernatural).

Woodfluter

Practically Family
Niven, I enjoyed the video!

+1 on what Dano said about wool vs fur...if you want to wear it a lot or are fussy about quality, not sure the wool examples would satisfy in the long run, but could be OK for the occasional use. Haven't seen a lot of white homburgs on eBay, so you might have limited choices if matching the suit.

I have a white linen suit too, so I know what you mean - might go the Panama or white Milan route with that meself.

- Bill

hbenthow

Familiar Face

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
I don't know Biltmore hats enough to date that one or what kind of materials that they use. But yours is a real straw Milan. Most modern day Milans are made of a material called Shangtung straw, which is actually a plastic coated paper. Now, this isn't inherently bad per se, they hold up better to rain if you get caught in a downpour, and IMHO, they don't look half bad. In fact, I own a Shangtung Milan. But there is a difference between a real, straw Milan, and a modern, Shangtun Milan.

hbenthow

Familiar Face
The hat I found looks very similar to mine. It's not exactly the same, but is certainly very similar. Upon closer inspection, the outside band is straw, whereas mine is cloth, though.

I'd like to find one even more similar to mine, but I'm not sure where to look.

I didn't know that about some hats being made of plastic-coated paper. That's pretty interesting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany