Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where do you come from???

My name is Jack, and I'm a professional failure. I've been into vintage since I was about 10 years old, which was a very, very long time ago. I find the 21st Century to be incredibly dull, thus I spend most of my time making cocktails. Not that I'm a bartender, I just love a really good cocktail. Right now I'm listening to Sinatra and getting drunk. Cheers!

Regards,

Senator Jack

P.S.

By the way, I'm one of the last native New Yorkers.

Posted by Katt:

I experienced the early '50s as a High School boy in Brooklyn,N.Y. and have been a jazzbeaux and an aficionado of music from the '20s >on. Living near the water back then...

Where did you live on the water back then? I'm a Canarsie man, myself. (Now who would admit that?)

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Senator Jack said:
My name is Jack, and I'm a professional failure.

I love it! Mind if I borrow that line? Names will be changed to protect the guilty.

Senator Jack said:
Right now I'm listening to Sinatra and getting drunk. Cheers!
Can't think of a better way to spend an evening.:beer:

Brad

AtomicBlonde

One of the Regulars
clevispin said:
To Jess-
I too live in Virginia and have found an excellent book along these lines that you may find interesting: Folk Housing In Middle Virginia by Henry Glassie (The Univ of Tennessee Press). It is well illustrated and fascinating. It is written from more of an anthropological viewpoint.

m

I've read a lot of Glassie for classes... Thats a good book. I'm currently reading "Common Places: Readings in American Vernacular Architecture." Its a compliation of articles by various folks, including Glassie. Its actually dedicated to Glassie, too. Its Edited by Dell Upton and John Vlach.

Glassie is well known for his studies in folklore as well, so it makes sense that he would write about architecture from a more anthropological viewpoint... something that I find interesting, and I think its really how we should look at vernacular architecture.

-Jess

3PieceSuitGuy

One of the Regulars
Hello...

I'm a 36yo Guy living in Sydney Australia. I work in IT and love vintage clothing and basically wish I was my age now in the 30's to 40's. I think I missed out on the most stylish era ever.

If previous lives are true then I definately lived back then, and still long for my life back then. Don't get me wrong I love modern technology, especially technology like this forum because it allows me to talk to you fine folks, but I would happily give it up to live in the 30's & 40's

I would love to hear from any other Aussies that frequent this site. Drop me a PM. Maybe we can have an Aussie Lounge get together.

Cheers

Peter

Barbigirl

Practically Family
maintcoder said:
Welcome!

My name is Kent and I live near Seattle WA doing technical support for an electronic discovery software company. I collect DVDs (and now hats!) and spend a lot of time with my girlfriend Barbi watching those DVDs, cooking, drinking champagne cocktails, smoking cigars, and playing pool. :cool2:

And I'm Barbi...unfortunately since am not in a position to make a career out of drinking champagne cocktails, smoking cigars and watching old movies on DVD, I work at a small hospital in Snoqualmie, WA investigating physicians and saving the patients from potential Dr. Evils.

When I grow up I want to be Nora Charles.

Roger

A-List Customer
My name is Roger and I'm from Rhode Island, Warwick. I'm temporarily in Emervile, Ca until August. I work for an insurance company. I'm looking forward to June when my wife and kids come out here for the summer. I want to attend a rodeo and bullfight out here:eusa_clap

Roger said:
. I'm temporarily in Emervile, Ca until August. I want to attend a rodeo and bullfight out here:eusa_clap
I think there are a few good Brew pubs in your area if you enjoy a beer. You should be able to see a rodeo here in CA but you'll need to visit Mexico to see a bullfight, I think.

What I'd like to see is take the sword away from the bullfighter and put him up against a pack of angry geese! Now there's a fight.

Sincerely,

Maria

New in Town
Hi, my name is Maria, I'm 21 and I live in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
I do costume design and currently I'm also working as a producer (parties, gigs etc).

I'm obsessed with the 1930's Hollywood glamour, but I love all the period between the 1920's and the 1950's.

:)

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
Born and Raised in Los Angeles/Venice Beach, California. Going to school in Berkeley, but I'll be back down South soon. Might try some graduate studies @ an LA college in realm of film and literature or both, but most likely you will be able to find me in downtown LA asking you for change very, very soon.

I'm a Hard-Boiled Fiction Fan first, Phillip Marlowe and then some, Film Noir obsessor second, moviecrazy all the way, a Fedora Wearer third, but a poor one at that, and an amateur Noir writer, always working on the next adventures of Detective Jack Scorpion.

Places I would like to live: (after LA the greatest city in the world)
-New York
-Moscow (again)
-Panama

My name is Zach.

Serina

New in Town
I first became interested in 1920's and 1930's things when I was about eight. I used to collect 78's, enjoyed watching silent films, and listening to the music of that era. I recently revived my interest in the 1920's and 1930's, and have recently taken up Lindy Hop and other dances, which I am enjoying very much. :)

Roger

A-List Customer
John in Covina said:
I think there are a few good Brew pubs in your area if you enjoy a beer. You should be able to see a rodeo here in CA but you'll need to visit Mexico to see a bullfight, I think.

What I'd like to see is take the sword away from the bullfighter and put him up against a pack of angry geese! Now there's a fight.

There's a town about 100 miles from here near Modesto, I think it's called Gustine and they have bullfights. They don't use swords or kill animal. It's a Portuguese thing. I've been to a couple brew pubs. Not into beer that much. I probably won't go back.:beer: The Grand National Rodeo is in April at the Cow Palace in San Francisco. (Hmm cowboys and San Francisco, doesn't match) I will go to that one and hopefully when the family arrives in the summer we can go to another.

Magus

Practically Family
Hi,

I'm a professional musician (I play the guitar and bodrahn) I live north of San Diego about an hour with my wife and our pet (Sparky the Wonderdog). Our two daughters are out of the house, one is a business owner and the other is attending college in San Diego where she studies music.

I love to spend time with my wife (yeah I'm strange that way), travel, and have recently found a passion for painting and other rather unmentionable activities. I float around in here not so much for the Golden Era threads...but simply because I love hats.

M

Skari Spice

New in Town
Hello! I'm Kari, 33, "new in town." Live in an 1890s manor in Washington State with my fabulous, local-celebrity husband and our cat & dog, Groucho Marx & Oscar Wilde. Love music (bebop is a current fave), retro fashion, antique shopping, traveling (Boston next week!), writing, and lounging & cocktailing with friends. There are so many fascinating people here! It's a pleasure to "meet" you all. I look forward to reading more.

~Kari

EL COLORADO

One of the Regulars
From?? Like, dont you know?
Like outer space Daddy-O!!
Zoooom!
Where the cars are big, chromed and made outta metal, where fast jazz blasts out all day and night. Where ladies giggle and stare,.. and men in vintage suits throw their heads back laughing with cigars between their jaws.

Heh, heh.

EC

Mike K.

One Too Many
Greetings! My name is Mike, I'm 12x3 years old, and I am also a native Virginian (hi Jess!). Currently I live in southwest Florida where I work both as an Audubon biologist and as a college professor. I believe in trying it all...wrestling alligators, riding out hurricanes, climbing mountains, exploring the darkest jungles, and diving the deepest seas (among other things).:eek: I've always been a history "buff" but unlike a lot of Virginians I haven't been hooked on the whole Civil War thing. For me it has been the 1930s & 40s, especially the WWII years & military aviation. I also have a thing for the early sixties - Stingray bikes, Mustangs, The Beach Boys, drive-in movies, and gals with ponytails.
Cheers,
Mike

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner