Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where to find other retro singles?

Lady Jessica

One of the Regulars
Charlie Noodles said:
Reading through I've seen a lot of votes for book stores. I'd advise you gents to pay attention to what they're buying. There's good odds its the next Twilight installment and you'll be no Edward!

True, be careful of the "be my Edward" complex it seems every woman is getting. I read the book, and Edward was not my type (And the book was promptly returned to it's owner, as was the sequel). Not that what I read is going to be much better, World War 2 books... and some romance... and some classic... I'm kind of everywhere.

I'd be happy to be picked up on in a bookstore, anyway! I keep hoping it will happen, but no luck yet. I guess it doesn't help that I don't like Barnes and Noble anymore... Maybe I'll start shopping there again. I just prefer Borders, they've got smaller aisles.

Lady Jessica

One of the Regulars
No, they were intended to be. But every woman I know reads them too. A lot of middle-aged women were at the midnight movie release party at my mall. I was there because my sister dragged me. But there were tons of teen-less women there.

JennyLou

Practically Family
AtomicEraTom said:
I had a friend tell me today that her boyfriend feels that the reason I haven't had a steady since March of last year is because of my style. He says I need to cut my hair, get new clothes, and start living in this century or be prepared to spend the rest of my life alone.

Actually, for me it's not a problem. The guys I've dated always prefered my retro style to my more modern style of dressing except for one guy who I dated (who dressed vintage himself). He preferred my modern clothing.

JennyLou said:
Actually, for me it's not a problem. The guys I've dated always prefered my retro style to my more modern style of dressing except for one guy who I dated (who dressed vintage himself). He preferred my modern clothing.

Wow, that's kind of ironic that it worked out that the vintage guy liked your modern style. I prefer a lady who dresses vintage, but i've never dated one, and for me, it's never been a problem. I look for more than some nice clothes and hair I guess.

JennyLou

Practically Family
I prefer guys who dress vintage and their are probably a lot of girls out there who also do too. My opinion is that you should not worry about "living in this century or be prepared to spend the rest of my life alone." Dress how you want to and you'll someday find someone who will appreciate it.

AtomicEraTom said:
Dude is a tool, and threatened to hit his ex girlfriend at my summer house this weekend and I just about wiped him off the face of this planet.
Gotta disagree, that's too good of a label for him--at least a "tool" usually has some use before they're disposed of*, at least with how I use the term (when I call someone a "tool", it means they've failed the character-test but are useful in facilitating my objectives and goals...) People like him are scum of the earth, worse than even 'useless". I'd even go so far as to call him an "oxygen thief"...

*State Department prefers "kites", for the kind of disposal I mean: "if they become a liability, you cut the strings and they're on their own."

Edward

Bartender
Viola said:
Not to sweepingly categorize any but the specific men who do that, but I and some of my girlfriends have casually observed men on dating sites who are very willing to specify physical attributes of the women THEY are looking for, i.e. "women between the ages of 21-28 who are physically fit and of such and such range of dress sizes and this range of height..." are the first to jump on women posting on the same site who have specified interests. [huh]

Some sites aren't that great with this, either. Friend of mine at one point got thoroughly fed up of having men based in the USA older than her late father contacting her despite her profile's clear indications in respect of geography and age range. The site managers told her that perhaps she should be "more open minded." :rolleyes:

All those guys who act boorishly, though, leave the field open for gentlemen.

Really? Seems to me that the average woman nowadays prefers to date boorish men, meanwhile complaining about them to her gentlemanly friends, whom she wishes she could meet "someone like", but would seemingly rather eat her own face than date. (Just me, then? [huh])

Lady Jessica said:
True, be careful of the "be my Edward" complex it seems every woman is getting. I read the book, and Edward was not my type (And the book was promptly returned to it's owner, as was the sequel).

I read them myself - the full set. Found them undemanding, but nevertheless quite diverting. I do find it rather odd, though, that so many women are attracted to a character who not only prefers a teenage girl several generations behind him in experience of life, but is also so controlling of her in many ways. This was the one real aspect of the books in respect of which I had trouble suspending disbelief - the existence of vampires, not so much. lol

Dating websites are all different. Each seems to have its own vibe to it.
I find it weird that on some sites that women will send and "I'm Interested" nod or wink or what ever they call it on that site and they live 3000 miles away or out of the country. I can seriously say I don't do well with long distance relationships and by long I mean about 30 miles.[huh]

Some sites have what is supposedly a more adult theme but adult doesn't mean grown up, it seems to mean pictures of private parts and not someones face, which I find ultimately boring, tired and more juvenile than a lot of the antics on dating sites. The tendency there is quantity over quality which points to deficiencies that can't be solved with out MANY sessions on the couch with a "shrink." Drama, psychos and people whose parents did a lot of MAJOR head trippin' on their kids while growing up makes for excitingly terrifying times in the dating pool.:eek:

The anonimity of the web means that people can be as rude and as crude as they could possibly want to be. It smacks of the college studies of unseen people giving electric shocks to strangers and it turns out a big percentage liked to have the subjects get bigger and bigger shocks. No compassion or empathy, just entertainment at anothers painful expense.:eek:

It's a wild weird and sad world out there sometimes.

Sertsa

One of the Regulars

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Edward said:
Some sites aren't that great with this, either. Friend of mine at one point got thoroughly fed up of having men based in the USA older than her late father contacting her despite her profile's clear indications in respect of geography and age range. The site managers told her that perhaps she should be "more open minded." :rolleyes:

That irritated me, too, when I was on dating sites. I don't need to pay a web site or travel 1,000 miles to meet an old man. That, and men in their 40s looking for someone 18 or older. Yeah, a divorced 40-year-old with two kids is just what every young girl is looking for.

Paisley said:
Men in their 40s looking for someone 18 or older. Yeah, a divorced 40-year-old with two kids is just what every young girl is looking for.

Apparently, it's the money instead. We get to see so many zillionaires with trophy wives, some how regular guys tend to over look the $$$ aspect.

I don't need an 18 yo girlfriend or wife, when was the last time you had a conversation with an 18 yo? Their interests are not my interests.

(Also has anyone noticed that young women from a sorts of places in the US are speaking more and more in the manner of Valley Girls? I heard a young lady TV reporter doing a report for National news from back east and like, it was like, Oh My God!)

Rodney said that when he picked up much younger women he always got 2 so when he fell asleep they'd have someone to talk to.

This guy has caused me so much trouble lately! I tried to make him feel better about his loss you know. Went to his apartment and picked him up. We had a cookout at my summer house and invited our friends over and had a good time. And just sent him on his way. Well, his ex and me are very good friends, and he keeps calling her and threatening her, and I told him not to come out to my place anymore, or he will be met by a County Sheriff. He is no gentleman to a lady who is truly a lady. He is now pursuing a lady who is 7 months expecting and is offering to take care of her child, after he told his ex that if she were to have a bun in the oven, he would send her back to her parents house. Needless to say this guy has no class. And how can a gentleman stay single, and low-lifes like this feller get a wonderful lady to call their own?

Diamondback said:
Gotta disagree, that's too good of a label for him--at least a "tool" usually has some use before they're disposed of*, at least with how I use the term (when I call someone a "tool", it means they've failed the character-test but are useful in facilitating my objectives and goals...) People like him are scum of the earth, worse than even 'useless". I'd even go so far as to call him an "oxygen thief"...

*State Department prefers "kites", for the kind of disposal I mean: "if they become a liability, you cut the strings and they're on their own."

Edward

Bartender
Spiffy said:
The German Film Criticism section of your library. True story.

I hear that's a good place to pick up guys that look like this:

Nosferatu2.jpg

lol

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Re: Online dating

I was at an event last night in Manhattan, and afterward hopped on the subway at Columbus Circle. A couple saw me carrying the little party favor bag that everyone got and said "Oh! You were at the same event we were!", so we started chatting. To make a long story short, they're married 5 years, seem very happy, and met online. No vintage connection, but it does prove the point that it can happen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart