Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where to find other retro singles?

airgrabber666

One of the Regulars
Hello all,
I am recently single (rather sadly and suddenly, actually) and it happens that my ex was certainly anti-retro everything. It was something that was difficult to overcome, considering how passionately old school I am.

Have any loungers had experience successfully meeting other folks with the same "vintage" interests and tastes as yourselves? I would appreciate any feedback you could share with me.

I hope this is the correct forum in which to post this.

Regards,
Scott

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I am married, but I was honestly surprised at how many singles were present at a local swing dance class. We have a local place that hosts classes once weekly, and a large social dance once a month. As it is swing dancing, it is pretty easy to tell right off who is into vintage clothing and the big band era music. Also since it is social dancing and lots of partner switching, it offers the perfect opportunity to get close and get to know people. The bonus is that you learn a cool skill while you're there.

If I'd known about it when I was single, I probably would have made it a regular haunt!

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
hmm I find it hard, but I don't actively go to vintage related gatherings either (I should really). I went on a datingsite and in my profile I wrote about my interests and how I would like to meet men who shared them. I got ANGRY mail from non-vintage men saying I shouldn't be so narrowminded and I couldn't just be so discriminating. I closed my account quite quickly. [huh]

airgrabber666

One of the Regulars
fortworthgal said:
I am married, but I was honestly surprised at how many singles were present at a local swing dance class. We have a local place that hosts classes once weekly, and a large social dance once a month. As it is swing dancing, it is pretty easy to tell right off who is into vintage clothing and the big band era music. Also since it is social dancing and lots of partner switching, it offers the perfect opportunity to get close and get to know people. The bonus is that you learn a cool skill while you're there.

If I'd known about it when I was single, I probably would have made it a regular haunt!

That is a fine idea - certainly something I would not have thought of myself. Since I can't dance too well, I could certainly benefit from a few classes...I will have to search and see if there are any such places that are close by. Thank you for your quick response.

Regards,
Scott

airgrabber666

One of the Regulars
Darhling said:
hmm I find it hard, but I don't actively go to vintage related gatherings either (I should really). I went on a datingsite and in my profile I wrote about my interests and how I would like to meet men who shared them. I got ANGRY mail from non-vintage men saying I shouldn't be so narrowminded and I couldn't just be so discriminating. I closed my account quite quickly. [huh]

Angry mail, eh? Those are exactly the type of folks one doesn't want to attract via a dating site. I have tried such sites in the past with mixed, mostly negative results. I feel they have a bit of a "meat-market" atmosphere to them.

The Shirt

Practically Family
Here we have a rockabilly meetupdotcom site for my city - maybe yours does too. There are other meetups as well that might interest you, and it's not really a dating site per se. I still think classic car shows are a great way to meet the fellas but you may be looking for the lasses. ;) I second the dance classes idea, there are always more girls in my classes than guys, so they would love some extra partners. I've often thought that the shopgirls who work at the vintage shops have been dolls. If not single, ask them if they've got a pal into the same look. Cannot hurt and they will be flattered. I have also noticed at a few of the historical society events (re-enactments, special events/openings etc) there are usually a number of young unescourted young women that you might have similar interests with. And if all else fails vintage dressing girls tend to really appreciate a compliment or question about what they are wearing - maybe that can spark some conversation.

Sorry I am all over the place with ideas - but I remember how tough dating was!

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
airgrabber666 said:
Angry mail, eh? Those are exactly the type of folks one doesn't want to attract via a dating site. I have tried such sites in the past with mixed, mostly negative results. I feel they have a bit of a "meat-market" atmosphere to them.

I know several people who have had negative results with these, but... I met my husband on an online dating site! lol

tempestbella42

One of the Regulars
these are all great suggestions..i can relate to the "meat market" feeling, ive been single quite a long time now and do all the suggestions , and while having some great male friends havent met anyone i feel i want to date...:)

there is a rockabilly date site.....rockabillydate.com which i joined, mainly Americans on which is great for you!! :eusa_clap Im in the UK and was put off after recieving an email from a guys "wife" threatening me and telling me what a bum he was.., the guy had been chatting to me for a few weeks and seemed nice.......:eusa_doh:

good luck ...and be safe!! xx

airgrabber666

One of the Regulars
The Shirt said:
Here we have a rockabilly meetupdotcom site for my city - maybe yours does too. There are other meetups as well that might interest you, and it's not really a dating site per se. I still think classic car shows are a great way to meet the fellas but you may be looking for the lasses. ;) I second the dance classes idea, there are always more girls in my classes than guys, so they would love some extra partners. I've often thought that the shopgirls who work at the vintage shops have been dolls. If not single, ask them if they've got a pal into the same look. Cannot hurt and they will be flattered. I have also noticed at a few of the historical society events (re-enactments, special events/openings etc) there are usually a number of young unescourted young women that you might have similar interests with. And if all else fails vintage dressing girls tend to really appreciate a compliment or question about what they are wearing - maybe that can spark some conversation.

Sorry I am all over the place with ideas - but I remember how tough dating was!

Thank you for all the ideas! I am very interested in local history - so the historical society events are a fine thought. As a longtime attendee of car shows, however, experience tells me that most women in attendance are not single. Thank you again for your response.

airgrabber666

One of the Regulars
tempestbella42 said:
these are all great suggestions..i can relate to the "meat market" feeling, ive been single quite a long time now and do all the suggestions , and while having some great male friends havent met anyone i feel i want to date...:)

there is a rockabilly date site.....rockabillydate.com which i joined, mainly Americans on which is great for you!! :eusa_clap Im in the UK and was put off after recieving an email from a guys "wife" threatening me and telling me what a bum he was.., the guy had been chatting to me for a few weeks and seemed nice.......:eusa_doh:

good luck ...and be safe!! xx

Excellent suggestions, and I have signed up for rockabillydate.com as well. Of course, I am just looking for single women, not married ones! Hope to avoid that sort of thing. Thank you for your response.

The Shirt

Practically Family
As a longtime attendee of car shows, however, experience tells me that most women in attendance are not single.

I completely agree. I am however dragging a couple of my single girlfriends to some shows this year because there are ample single good looking young men. :)

Miss Ritz

New in Town
Marc Chevalier said:
Art museums are a good bet. Worked well for me; and even when it didn't, I had a great time with Mary Cassat and Tamara de Lempicka.

Museums of any kind, really. As a single girl who works at one, I like to think museums are a hidden little gem for the smart/available crowd! ;)

Miss Ritz said:
Museums of any kind, really. As a single girl who works at one, I like to think museums are a hidden little gem for the smart/available crowd! ;)
Well, not always... don't hold your breath looking for such at air or paleontological museums--neither have ever worked for me, although that may be as much my hyperfocused nature and "keep a respectful distance until invited otherwise" general attitude at work as the subject-matter.

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
Marc Chevalier said:
Art museums are a good bet. Worked well for me; and even when it didn't, I had a great time with Mary Cassat and Tamara de Lempicka.

When I walked around the Louvre alone I wouldn't have minded meeting a handsome gentleman, it does seem like an amazing place to do so!

Miss Ritz

New in Town
Diamondback said:
Well, not always... don't hold your breath looking for such at air or paleontological museums--neither have ever worked for me, although that may be as much my hyperfocused nature and "keep a respectful distance until invited otherwise" general attitude at work as the subject-matter.

Well ok, so maybe not air museums... I'll vouch for historical museums though. And libraries. And bookstores. Really now I'm just listing place I like in hopes a handsome available gent will be haunting one of them too! :rolleyes:

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
Miss Ritz said:
Well ok, so maybe not air museums... I'll vouch for historical museums though. And libraries. And bookstores. Really now I'm just listing place I like in hopes a handsome available gent will be haunting one of them too! :rolleyes:

I hope they get the hint :) so far the libraries here are full of women (maybe I should try the Technology area?).

Sertsa

One of the Regulars
I was thinking of museums and bookstores when I opened this thread. I go to both, when I can, though, but just because I like going to places like that.

I occasionally have gone to a large antique mall, which had an interesting crowd, but that was during the holidays.

(I find it odd the dating site was like that. I've never used one, but narrow-mindedly getting angry at someone's interest an calling it narrow-minded? Classy).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy