Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where to find other retro singles?

katiemakeup

Practically Family
mike said:
You really think walking up to someone out of the blue works? I always feel like there's an invisible wall between people. I turn to try to walk around it because surely it must end somewhere but I come upon a hard fast corner and then another wall... and another and maddeningly yet still another! I realize I am completely surrounded by invisible walls and they are slowly moving inward... towards me! I attempt to call out but my throat has forsaken me! Whyyy why!?!?!??!

Seriously though museums are good as a win/win option. No spark struck, atleast a walk through a reconstructed ancient Egyptian temple is inspiring :)

Why not just approach someone? A simple smile and a 'hello' always works. You can tell by her response and body language if she is willing to go further. I can speak from experience that lines and come ons aren't really the best thing, women can smell them a mile away. I can't speak for all gals- but I like a genuine introduction- if you are funny and lighthearted, the better! ;)

Also, if you are hanging out in places of interest that you like, chances are others who like the same things will be there too.

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
The last date I went on was due to my hitting the grocery store after work. Was wearing a fedora, suspenders, and a very old tie. I wasn't going there to look for anyone ... hadn't even thought to ... and she's the one that struck up the conversation. Nice. The date didn't work out to be a romantic bonanza, but I made a friend and that's a step in the right direction.

I've never met anyone at a bar, complete failure at the online thing, no luck at any of the antique fairs or historical society meetings for me either. Someday maybe.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
Move closer to NYC. It will make the search much easier! lol
Truer for ladies than for gents, I'm afraid.

Men have to pass a lot more tests in New York, particularly as to ambition and competitiveness. But there's also the language of signs, which NY singles have developed to a state of refinement heretofore unknown in civilization. By the time you've passed the gay test, the creepy test, the mama's boy test, the fitness test, the shelf-life test, the style test, the area-code test, the occupational test and the salary test, believe me, there won't be that much of "you" left.

airgrabber666

One of the Regulars
The Shirt said:
I completely agree. I am however dragging a couple of my single girlfriends to some shows this year because there are ample single good looking young men. :)

Yes, on the other side of the coin, there ARE many a young single gentleman at the local car shows. I will agree with you there, especially since that now I have joined that particular group!

airgrabber666

One of the Regulars
Schofields said:
im engaged, but if you find someone vintage in NJ i applaud you b/c i know of no one lol

Ah, you know of the struggle through which I am persevering! That is the precise reason I posted this topic!

airgrabber666

One of the Regulars
Lau Mo said:
Hmm...this is a good question. I've met several gals my age that are into vintage, but no guys! Where are you all!? lol I'm going to need to start hitting up classic car shows, museums and swing dancing classes :)
We are out here! Perhaps what we need is a FL match service. Apparently, I am not the only one having the same issues.

The museum and swing dance lessons are excellent suggestions, but I do have an awful time just walking up to someone and striking up an interesting conversation. Not too many bookstores around my way, but the library is just up the street. Further, I am rather shy - I will guess that this adds up to me staying single for a bit, lol.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Marc Chevalier said:

hehe...

Anyhow..there is a FL match system...It works like this.

Read someones posts.
Admire said someones posts
PM them to tell them so
Converse
Meet at a local gathering (or travel to a not so local gathering...)
See what happens from there

Trust me....enough people from here, have met and married and/or are -very- serious with other folks from here....to substantiate that this method works.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Miss Neecerie said:
hehe...

Anyhow..there is a FL match system...It works like this.

Read someones posts.
Admire said someones posts
PM them to tell them so
Converse
Meet at a local gathering (or travel to a not so local gathering...)
See what happens from there

Trust me....enough people from here, have met and married and/or are -very- serious with other folks from here....to substantiate that this method works.
Absolutely perfectly true! :eusa_clap

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
I'm newly single (after ten years of marriage) and NOT looking forward to the whole dating thing. That being said, I am hoping to find someone that shares my taste in vintage. :)

Mike K.

One Too Many
Marc, Neecerie, and Hemingway couldn't be more right!

As an alternative, there is a Fedora Lounge group that is active on Facebook (which is, in fact, a social networking site). Perhaps worth a try for some of you. I haven't used it as a matching-up site, but given that I keep getting shot down :( I might just have to try it.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
airgrabber666 said:
We are out here! Perhaps what we need is a FL match service. Apparently, I am not the only one having the same issues.

The museum and swing dance lessons are excellent suggestions, but I do have an awful time just walking up to someone and striking up an interesting conversation. Not too many bookstores around my way, but the library is just up the street. Further, I am rather shy - I will guess that this adds up to me staying single for a bit, lol.

don't press your luck. the fact that this thread ha not been closed is amazing enough to me.

Just got off the phone with my bookie in Vegas--tried to place a wager that this thread'll be nuked by Friday, probably this time tomorrow unless we focus on ideas for possible venues instead of making this a venue. Guy wouldn't take it, even said "What kinda sucker you think we are?"

"Erased... from existence."--Dr. Emmett L. Brown (Christopher Lloyd), Back to the Future

As an alternate to Facebook, there's also a thread for Fedora Loungers on MySpace: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=12242 (works for those of us who aren't comfortable publicizing all the info Facebook requires for its profiles)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eltqt