Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where to find other retro singles?

No, Marc, he didn't and I don't ask such questions. Even though I don't have use for that kind of 'professional services', you do remember the "First Rule of Fight Club", right? Right? ':| Same thing goes down there...

So, let's see... other possibilities... I'll see what kind of brainstorming I can work up later--right now most of my brain's busy with Halsey's airgroups in the last months of WWII.

Bad pop-culture reference some of the overgrown delinquents on a historical-miniatures board I mod inflicted on me.

"You do NOT talk about..."

Marc, would you believe that in three years of extensive overhaul by an entire college Psych Department, a 'sense of humor' was the single thing they had the most trouble with trying to install into my mind? Still haven't worked all the bugs out of the system, yet, so to speak...lol

----------------
Now playing: John Williams - The German Sub/To The Nazi Hideout
via FoxyTunes

ClaraB

One of the Regulars
Where can you find other retro singles?
Where ever I am not. lol They are quite elusive creatures.

Patiently awaiting the linked image in Marc's signature to appear on this thread.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Course, I never understood why these type of threads were closed anyway. it is my understanding that a certain bartender who shall remain nameless has a particular aversion to them.

I have no idea, but I would wager that any woman with an attractive avatar who looks like it might be her gets her share of pms. although I would have always thought that was not in such good taste. although not necessarily so.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
I've actually found this thread very useful. I hadn't thought to look at Meetup.com for others interested in swing dancing in my area as a possible place to meet other singles. Some of the other suggestions have been great, too.

airgrabber666

One of the Regulars
AmateisGal said:
I've actually found this thread very useful. I hadn't thought to look at Meetup.com for others interested in swing dancing in my area as a possible place to meet other singles. Some of the other suggestions have been great, too.

I also have found many of the responses and suggestions here thoughtful and productive. I'm pleased that I am not the only one finding this thread helpful.

ClaraB

One of the Regulars
Marc Chevalier said:
It shoudn't be, should it? But it has been in the past. The reasons are various.

I've been here long enough to see plenty of threads of this nature shut down. Sometimes for seemingly no reason, or no reason that I could figure out. Perhaps this time it will be due to this discussion concerning the shutting down of threads.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
airgrabber666 said:
My apologies. I did not realize this was such a volatile topic.

Its not a volatile subject on its own. Discussing -where- to meet people is one thing.

Why it gets attention is that very very quickly in the past, it has turned into:

"I am single too....and would just loooove to meet vintage guys'

and then 20 guys stumble over their feet to -in the thread- gush over that person and assure them that if -they- were local they would date her.

Rinse repeat and it turns very distasteful for reading and is no longer about 'how to meet folks' but individual hook ups....and is, for lack of a better term....very 'meat markety' vs the classy bar that you -might- meet someone you have stuff in common with and let -nature- take its course.

I would personally rather know the person -saw- something they liked about me....rather then thinking that they just -wanted to be with a vintage person- and I put myself forward in a public thread about it.....

my 2 cents...valued for deflation

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Miss Neecerie is right. I started that old thread and lived to regret it in spades. In fact, it is the only thread --out of many good, bad and just plain goofy ones-- that I regret having created.

There are plenty of threads I wish had not been closed. That thread is not one of them.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
I think if people stay on topic (hopefully!), and talk about WHERE to find other vintage-minded singles instead of turning this thread into a "date me!" thread, we'll be ok. :)

pretty faythe

One Too Many
lol yeah, online dating seems to attract all the wack jobs my way

LocktownDog said:
The last date I went on was due to my hitting the grocery store after work. Was wearing a fedora, suspenders, and a very old tie. I wasn't going there to look for anyone ... hadn't even thought to ... and she's the one that struck up the conversation. Nice. The date didn't work out to be a romantic bonanza, but I made a friend and that's a step in the right direction.

I've never met anyone at a bar, complete failure at the online thing, no luck at any of the antique fairs or historical society meetings for me either. Someday maybe.

Macheath

One of the Regulars
I second the recommendation of looking into swing dance events.

I got into swing dancing because of my interest in the golden era and swing music, but meeting like-minded women is a welcome bonus.

Of course, where I live, there aren't many, and the women there mostly have just a general interest in dancing, and not swing culture per se.

I wear my everyday duds to dances and it is liable to be taken as some sort of costume, specially when a hat is in the picture. Still, you're bound to end up talking about how you got interested in swing dancing, and you might be pleasantly surprised by how closely someone's vintage life story matches yours.

tempestbella42

One of the Regulars
the US military forum i posted has got me a great friend that i wouldnt of met otherwise...we chat a couple of times a month and its lovely!
the swing dance classes is where i hope to just meet more like minded people at least.
I agree with Macheath, once you get chatting thats the key!

i can actually jive, have been on the rockin scene since i was 8.....and learnt to jive at 10....its just im fairly new to the area and want to get out more and meet new peopledoing the stuff i love. thought of the fitness and new skill side too...

I dont know if you have the WEA in America but over here they run sme very interesting night classes....one im going to is called "singing the blues" and you dont have to be the next ella fitzgerald to go..its another place for meeting people with simular tastes...always the best foundation for any relationship dont you think!!??

also having a dog always opens doors when meeting people....just be careful yur jack russell doesnt decide to use the person as a tree.......ive learnt the signs of my dog!! hes "owns "the pizza boy at at least 2 other people in my street!!:eek: :eek:

Smuterella

One Too Many
ClaraB said:
Such a good point.

Indeed but its also valid to want shared interests. My exes and I (both the boys and the girls) have never really had shared interests, with a recent ex hating the vintage look and calling it harsh, complaining about my lipstick and me setting my hair etc.

Now i'm on the market again i really want to find someone who understands why i want to look the way i do, is proud of it even, and who doesn't mind my nylons hanging in the bathroom. lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn