Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where to find other retro singles?

Yes, I've always tried to let things go, and am always very leanient with everybody in my life, and am known for being a very easy-going person. But I think everybody's got a few things that are a "that's where I draw the line" kind of scenario.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
AtomicEraTom said:
I always think it's very pathetic when somebody lists what they're looking for in somebody and it's appearances, measurements, etc. I understand age as one thing, because if you're 25 and a 65 year old is putting the moves on you, that can be uncomfortable. But honestly, I'd rather be paired with someone who has a load of personality and common interests and may not be Miss America. Than with a perfect 10 who ain't got the mental capacity to figure out a belt buckle.

Yeah, but it is a bit of a myth that you can't have both. As for me, give the personality and the looks. And why not get what you want out of life?

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
AtomicEraTom said:
Nobody's perfect, I know I've never claimed to be. I just have little tolerance for cheating, because my ex-fiance cheated, my girlfriend before that cheated on me, and my girlfriend before, what who I was with for 3 years cheated on me with 5 guys, 4 of which were my close friends. So, being unfaithful has been an issue for me, especially since I've been a very faithful guy, even when tempted.

Sounds like dating women who cheat on you is the issue. patterns sometimes tell us something about who we are attracting or attracted to. Not to say you deserve it.

I had a friend tell me today that her boyfriend feels that the reason I haven't had a steady since March of last year is because of my style. He says I need to cut my hair, get new clothes, and start living in this century or be prepared to spend the rest of my life alone.

Geesie

Practically Family
I learned long ago that it's better to have trouble finding a date as yourself than to have to pretend to be someone else every time you're with a girl.

Yes, I feel the same way. I guess I just had to post it because it really had me in a less than swell mood all day over it. My white trash vernacular started flying after that comment.

Charlie Noodles

A-List Customer
AtomicEraTom said:
I had a friend tell me today that her boyfriend feels that the reason I haven't had a steady since March of last year is because of my style. He says I need to cut my hair, get new clothes, and start living in this century or be prepared to spend the rest of my life alone.

Do you wear much in the way of old-fashioned casual clothes? A lot of the classics would still work today and not come off as stuffy, if that's an issue.

Charlie Noodles said:
Do you wear much in the way of old-fashioned casual clothes? A lot of the classics would still work today and not come off as stuffy, if that's an issue.

I usually don't dress overly vintage at all. My typical attire is a Plaid Flannel Shirt, Jeans, and Work Boots. The only vintage that stays with me always is my pomp, slicked sidefenders, and ducktail. Otherwise, my attire isn't all that vintage.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
What I learned (through experience, unfortunately) is if you change yourself to be with somebody just because you want to be with somebody, and you DO get them...you're still alone. Just alone with a person around, like feeling lonely on the bus. Would not recommend it.

Don't give up who you are to just be not-single. It doesn't beat being at least not having to care what other people want to do, and it keeps you from finding somebody you're more aligned with.

Charlie Noodles

A-List Customer
Reading through I've seen a lot of votes for book stores. I'd advise you gents to pay attention to what they're buying. There's good odds its the next Twilight installment and you'll be no Edward!

Madcap72

One of the Regulars
AtomicEraTom said:

Dude sounds like a tool.

Plus, at least in Seattle, chicks did the Rock a Billy look.

Hmm noticed your in WI? Time to pick a Coast ;)

Incorporeal13

Familiar Face
I actually met my S.O. on a dating website. One of the only free ones left, too. I was seriously about to give up looking after getting mail from creepy much older men (no problem with older guys but it's the creepy factor there), perverts, people that shared absolutely no common interest with me, and downright absurd guys. I even had someone message me that thought Vincent Van Gogh had a TV show (read: he thought Van Gogh was actually Bob Ross). :eek:
Then out of nowhere my (now) boyfriend messaged me, and it just went from there. Funny, too, he lived over 2 1/2 hours away from me in another state, and somehow stumbled upon me. But now we live together in my home state, and I honestly don't think I've ever met anyone so much like me that I get along with so well. It's definitely wonderful to me that he enjoys and appreciates vintage and vintage lifestyles as much as I do.

Don't dismiss dating sites altogether, sometimes wonderful things happen when and where you least expect them. ;)

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
AtomicEraTom said:

Poppycock!

I say be who you are. You'll find someone who appreciates you for it.

Shared Passions.

Sometimes it is good to sit down and evaluate ones life. Go grab a big legal pad and start making some lists like the personals web sites might have you do. Put down what you think.

What era is it that you associate yourself with and what do you like about that era.

What types of music are you passionate about?

What type of events do you like to go to?

What are your interests and your passions.

What don't you like?

If there is a music scene that corresponds to your likes go there do those events. Car nut? go to the car shows.

Anyway this will help define who you are and what you are looking for and then give insights as to where to look.

Passionate about astronomy- take a college course and hang out at the planetarium. And so on.

The things that you are passionate about are where you will be most comfortable to meet and speak to others. Events connected to these passions are good places to seek like minded people and that's the first place to try to find the person you are looking for. That's not to say you may not bump into them at the market, but if you are going fishing, it's best to fish where the fish are...

Madcap72 said:
Dude sounds like a tool.

Plus, at least in Seattle, chicks did the Rock a Billy look.

Hmm noticed your in WI? Time to pick a Coast ;)

Dude is a tool, and threatened to hit his ex girlfriend at my summer house this weekend and I just about wiped him off the face of this planet.

If it wasn't for how close-knit my family is and the political issues of the state, I would be moving to So-Cal. Seems to be a lot of buzz in the vintage world and in the car kulture that I really like.

I went to a car show this weekend, looking for the hot-rod girls, you know? I saw one, and she was the only lady at the show that gave me the time of day, mind you, I saw like 6 women under 40.

Sertsa

One of the Regulars
Incorporeal13 said:
... I even had someone message me that thought Vincent Van Gogh had a TV show (read: he thought Van Gogh was actually Bob Ross). :eek: ...

I have this vision now of what a Van Gogh PBS show would have been like (forgetting that he would have been speaking Dutch)...

"Now for your trees! So happy! Happy trees! Not pained trees! Noooo! No! No! Maybe... just... a little.... bit of...angst. There! Happy slightly angst-ridden trees! Ecstatic swirly happy trees! Paint them! Make them sing. Now the sky... The sky is where the pain is! Paint it! SWIRLY! BEAUTIFUL! MASSIVE! PAINED! SKY! Ahhhh.... Paint it! Now mix your paints! Mix with fury! Like so..." [PBS apologizes for the interruption in this program. Please enjoy "B is for Broth with special guests Lord of the Dance...].

OK, I'm glad that's out of my system. Back to your regularly scheduled thread...

Incorporeal13

Familiar Face
LocktownDog said:
THAT is the best comment I'll read all day. :D
Yeah, you shoulda seen me when it happened. It was most definitely a face-palm followed by busting gut laughter moment.

Sertsa said:
I have this vision now of what a Van Gogh PBS show...
Hahahahaha! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap Precisely! And we mustn't forget the missing ear!

I still remain seriously amazed that someone could confuse Van Gogh with the frizzy-afro'd happy tree man that Bob Ross was.
Le sigh.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
farmerboy