Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where to find other retro singles?

Spiffy

A-List Customer
IMO; if you get shot down with the "You/Me/Dinner?" conversation, my breezy reply would be something along the lines of "Well, that's terribly depressing, isn't it? Why don't you buy me a drink and let me change your mind?"

I read in the gym the other day that Chuck Klosterman (music journalist) recommends picking up chicks in bookstores. Apparently it is similar in difficulty to shooting fish in a barrel. As a chick, I can attest to the veracity of this theory.

FinalVestige79

Practically Family
Spiffy said:
IMO; if you get shot down with the "You/Me/Dinner?" conversation, my breezy reply would be something along the lines of "Well, that's terribly depressing, isn't it? Why don't you buy me a drink and let me change your mind?"

I read in the gym the other day that Chuck Klosterman (music journalist) recommends picking up chicks in bookstores. Apparently it is similar in difficulty to shooting fish in a barrel. As a chick, I can attest to the veracity of this theory.

As per being shot down like your logic! The common bookstore has turned into a meat market, What has the woild come to?! I'll admit I'm guilty of attempting to "pick up" ladies at book stores, its a good place to find common ground, find a girl that has similar tastes in literature, bring up an author that writes similar work and ask her opinion of it, throw in some good humor, get her to smile, and then ask her if shed enjoy a cup of coffee in the cafe downstairs and talk books. And even if it doesn't work out, you learn something every time, and even make a friend.

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
I second the bookstore idea. Nothing is more of a turn-off than meeting someone really pretty and sweet ... but she has the intellect and conversational capabilities of a common garden slug. :eusa_doh: If I see a woman reading a book I enjoyed or one from an unusual genre, I am much more likely now to strike up a conversation. The mind and personality are much more important to me in starting a relationship than anything else.

PS: Spiffy - Just noticed your new avatar ... Love it! You're gorgeous! :eusa_clap

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
I second (or third?) the notion of going to the bookstore to meet people. Although lately, whenever I go into the history aisle and look at WW2 books, I normally only have men my grandfather's age around me!

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
I don't recall ever meeting a woman in the history section. Hmmm. Hadn't thought about that before. Try Foreign Language or Cookbooks. You wouldn't believe how many women will approach a man who reads cookbooks. [huh]

Audrey Horne

Practically Family
Fleur De Guerre said:
I think your own idea was a great one - if you do like the guy 'not hitting on you' ;) reply with, "well, why not?" in a sort of cheeky flirtacious way. It's going to raise a smile and break the ice with anyone! I imagine some men say that if they have a girlfriend, but many probably just don't think they have a chance with you!

I completely agree with this. The response gives the fellow a chance to explain and clarify. I think you'll find that it's usually one of three reasons already mentioned.
1. He has a girlfriend
2. He's intimidated by your beauty and doesn't think he has a chance
3. He doesn't want to come across as creepy/pushy

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Sorry I have no advice, but....

Bridgeton NJ?????!!!!!!!!!!!

:eek: :eek: :eek:

I didn't know anybody was retro in that area (where I grew up!)

Ok I do have advice -- you won't find them there! They all moved to Philly.

Spiffy said:
Depends on what section of the bookstore, too, and possibly on region. Doesn't quite work in WWII History sections around Seattle... :eek:

+1 on "good friend" being the kiss of death--which doesn't help given that my personal style, when seeking a position either "personal" or "professional" is to "audition", let the other person see me in action and tell 'em "that's just a sneak preview." Which probably explains part of why I'm not so sure about getting back into "the game"...

----------------
Now playing: Basil Poledouris - Chopper
via FoxyTunes

FinalVestige79

Practically Family
Yeah, the only women I have ever seen in the WWII History section was a reenactor I already knew. Now World history is a horse of a different color, there you get everyone. But cookbooks (which I frequent) is one of the hot spots, and also fiction, not just romances. The book store has a plethora of options just gotta use them then right way.

Diamondback said:
Depends on what section of the bookstore, too, and possibly on region. Doesn't quite work in WWII History sections around Seattle... :eek:

+1 on "good friend" being the kiss of death--which doesn't help given that my personal style, when seeking a position either "personal" or "professional" is to "audition", let the other person see me in action and tell 'em "that's just a sneak preview." Which probably explains part of why I'm not so sure about getting back into "the game"...

----------------
Now playing: Basil Poledouris - Chopper
via FoxyTunes

Surprisingly, cookbooks section's similarly underpopulated around here--I'm a fan of both Alton Brown and the Top Secret Recipes series (along with thinking about Fieri's Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives for roadtripping), so I spend a bit of time over there too, along with Transportation, Outdoor Sports (don't ask me how Defensive Pistol is a "sport", I'd say it belongs in Martial Arts) and Computing (that roadmobile-supercomputer Firebird ain't gonna build itself, y'know!lol). Maybe it's just my little slice of Seattle Metro...

"Dylan" it is, then. [voice=Darth Vader]"As you wish..."[/voice]

With bookstores, I've had the same problem as with Antique Stores, most of the women are well over 40 and though we share common ground, I don't think 18 year old me would be overly interested in 40 year old Antique Store patrons haha. I think I gotta travel to bigger towns.

FinalVestige79

Practically Family
yeah, that would definitley help, I live right by old Towne Orange and I was walking around today I went into Elsewhere Vintage i think? And there were "my age" girls a plenty not only in the there but in the antique shops. it helps that there is a highschool near by too and its part of orange county which is rather large.

FinalVestige79

Practically Family
Its not that bad, its not all gang members and skyscrapers you know Lol. Its where the action is. Geeez DB, id be going to seattle more often if you get clients to pay your fare. Thats easy livin right there.

That assumes that one likes dealing with people and being surrounded by mass quantities of them--that rule's also a gambit to enforce the much-hated F2F being reserved for truly important situations only.

"A person can be smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals."--Agent K (one of my heroes)

But now we're headed :eek:fftopic: at Zone 5 afterburner fast approaching what we in aviation call V(ne)*...

*Velocity (never exceed)

----------------
Now playing: John Williams - Duel Of The Fates
via FoxyTunes

Yeah, let's just say that people in large numbers and full-house autism-spectrum conditions* are never a good combo--especially with how the "tactician" part of my brain tracks everyone who crosses a 30' radius until they're safely back outside, and how that reduces the available brain resources for "the objective", whatever it may be.
*Yes, it's a pain in the butt, but it's also got a particular set of strengths that are key to me doing what I do.

FinalVestige79

Practically Family
:eek:fftopic: Ex military I take it?

Diamondback said:
Yeah, let's just say that people in large numbers and full-house autism-spectrum conditions* are never a good combo--especially with how the "tactician" part of my brain tracks everyone who crosses a 30' radius until they're safely back outside, and how that reduces the available brain resources for "the objective", whatever it may be.
*Yes, it's a pain in the butt, but it's also got a particular set of strengths that are key to me doing what I do.

No, but I was raised around it and am trying to find a path to an officer's commission*--a prof who's also one of my closest friends (I consider him "the father I never had**" used to command a fighter-squadron up here at McChord. Pair up with most of my life spent studying military history with emphasis on WWII, and... hence my comment elsewhere about "if I weren't VI, I'd be 'that crazy WWII gun-nut guy.'" Also, a brief tenure in executive-protection--that professional relationship I previously referred to? I was her bodyguard first and foremost (although, officially, I was carried on the books as a "reporter"--she edited the college paper and had stalker problems; OTOH, I also had an article every issue so it was at least semi-true).
*No commission, no deal, no way--my strengths are more from the brain than the body, and the bare minimum rank where I can flex my "gray muscle" to best effect is wearing a lieutenant's butter-bars.
**Well, aside from Master Sergeant Grandpa.

----------------
Now playing: Steve Jablonsky - Bumblebee
via FoxyTunes

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters