Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where to find other retro singles?

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Paisley said:
I went to the Shakespeare Festival in Boulder several years ago. Like just about everything else that doesn't involve sports or booze, it was nearly all women and the odd husband.

The uncertain glory of an April day,
Which now shares all the beauty of the sun,
and by and by a cloud takes all away.

The Two Gentlemen of Verona, I;III
;)

Djupis

One of the Regulars
John in Covina said:
In the end, I regain hope and wind up thinking of the silly pop song lyrics to a Monkees tune that was written by Neil Diamond - "I'm a Believer"

I thought love was only true in fairy tales
Meant for someone else but not for me.
Love was out to get me
Thats the way it seemed.
Disappointment haunted all my dreams.

Then I saw her face, now Im a believer
Not a trace of doubt in my mind.
Im in love, Im a believer!
I couldnt leave her if I tried.

I thought love was more or less a given thing,
Seems the more I gave the less I got.
Whats the use in tryin?
All you get is pain.
When I needed sunshine I got rain.

Then I saw her face, now Im a believer
Not a trace of doubt in my mind.
Im in love, Im a believer!
I couldnt leave her if I tried.
Silly love songs do have a use and now it's time to face a brand new day.

Some people wanna fill the world with silly love songs. And what's wrong with that?

Love songs are in my opinion the best ones! :D

Lady Jessica

One of the Regulars
I spend tons of time in the history section of the bookstore, and so far it seems I just run into one or two people looking for something for school... or something. I one time ran into a WW2 veteran... but that's beside the point!

I guess I'll go to Fedora Lounge events and hope I meet someone. :) I'm a bit young though, and everyone seems to be older than me... I've been to a movie in the park thing before. But it was in Illinois (visiting family members) and we watched Racing Stripes. So it wasn't very vintage, but lots of fun anyway. And in Ohio I went to a big outdoor antique sale... really neat, but mostly women.

Oh, and I also love romance movies. And books (the old ones, from the fifties/sixties)... and I guess I'm just a romantic, because I love love songs too. :eek:

FinalVestige79

Practically Family
I spend a couple days a week at the Local B&N, I buy lots of books...lol. Mostly history and cookbooks...which are next to to eachother. I haven't had much luck, but word on the street is, they are taking out the chairs so you can't sit down and decide your choices...I haven't met anyone at a bookstore besides old teachers, other reenactors, and the random veteran. They have better stories than the books do!

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
GranadaGuy617 said:
They do play swing at Disney....hmmmm

And not only swing, but think broader, blues, jazz, sure, but also country, blue grass, rockabilly, even psychobilly. I go to all those kinds of shows and all kinds are at them. Course I'm in NYC.

You're not *too* far from LA, are you? You might head up there weekends.

GranadaGuy617 said:
lol Jazz, Swing...classical...anything except country genres. Some nice ballroom music is nice as well:eek:fftopic:
Some of the old stuff like Hank Williams SENIOR or Patsy Cline has more heart & soul. Great music for settin' 'round the campfire when camping in the desert.

Music really can be a great way to meet somebody. I Don't meet too many people who are into Classic Country, Oldies, Doo-Wop, and Motown though, unless they're old enough to be my mother or grandmother.

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
Once in a while the local theaters play some of the old films. I've gone a few times (there's nothing like watching Road To Bali on the big screen! Hello Dorothy! :D ), but its mostly seniors who frequent them. Don't get me wrong ... I still had a blast and met some great folks. At the last one, it was me and three elderly women laughing and sharing a bucket of popcorn.

I don't expect to meet someone romantically there ... unless one of the ladies brings a granddaughter along next time. Who knows?

Lady Jessica

One of the Regulars
GranadaGuy617 said:
They do play swing at Disney....hmmmm

Oh yes they do! I want to go, but I actually don't know swing yet (I can't find a class close by). I was so excited to see they played it there on Saturdays, though. I mean, in the park. Do they play it in downtown Disney too?

I stopped going to Barnes and Noble since they took the chairs out... But as I've said before, I'm going to start going again. I guess I'll see what happens. I met my veteran man on accident, I was eying a German-dish Cookbook, and he asked me something, and when I went to tell him, he saw my World War 2 book and told me his story. Interesting and sad, and I didn't know what to say. I'm kind of awkward in new situations. :eek:

FinalVestige79

Practically Family
LocktownDog said:
Once in a while the local theaters play some of the old films. I've gone a few times (there's nothing like watching Road To Bali on the big screen! Hello Dorothy! :D ), but its mostly seniors who frequent them. Don't get me wrong ... I still had a blast and met some great folks. At the last one, it was me and three elderly women laughing and sharing a bucket of popcorn.

I don't expect to meet someone romantically there ... unless one of the ladies brings a granddaughter along next time. Who knows?

I work at a theater that just shows old films everything from 1925 -1950s the place is art deco and the balcony should be open. We have had it closed for restoration.

FinalVestige79

Practically Family
Lady Jessica said:
Oh yes they do! I want to go, but I actually don't know swing yet (I can't find a class close by). I was so excited to see they played it there on Saturdays, though. I mean, in the park. Do they play it in downtown Disney too?

I stopped going to Barnes and Noble since they took the chairs out... But as I've said before, I'm going to start going again. I guess I'll see what happens. I met my veteran man on accident, I was eying a German-dish Cookbook, and he asked me something, and when I went to tell him, he saw my World War 2 book and told me his story. Interesting and sad, and I didn't know what to say. I'm kind of awkward in new situations. :eek:

I live within walking distance of Disney, and may start working there! Like wise...i learned a little when I was younger...and my family wants to take the class with me...oy. Vets are awesome, I deal with them a lot, reenacting really opens up the doors. They have the best stories ever. I recorded one story, of a 3rd Marine Vet who was at the shop where I restore tanks and he told us so much about being in a tank. Heres the video in the playlist. if you'd like to see, he goes to events alot and hes super active for being over 80! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-bbu3qxGx8

Chas

One Too Many
GranadaGuy617 said:
lol Jazz, Swing...classical...anything except country genres. Some nice ballroom music is nice as well:eek:fftopic:

So what are you saying about Hank Williams, Patsy Cline, Carl Smith and Johnny Cash?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy