Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where to find other retro singles?

Spiffy

A-List Customer
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
I think the best way to meet people is to go out and see live music you like.

I completely agree! I'll be dressing 30% vintage at the Bonnaroo music festival this summer, and maybe amongst all the hippies I'll find a nice, techno-loving vintage boy. If not, I'll at least listen to some amazing bands and "rough it" with 10 of my friends all in the same tent.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
LocktownDog said:
Where in Nebraska? Doesn't Omaha have quite a bit of Deco-era architecture? I can't quite remember, as its been a LONG time since I've been through there. The National Trust for Historical Preservation just recently had a lengthy article in their magazine about the unbelievable amount of Deco in Tulsa, OK and the number of groups there that assist in the background history, fundraising and upkeep. Perhaps there are groups in your area that do the same? There's always the chance to meet a wealthy philanthropist with an obsession for historical buildings. ;)

I'm close to Lincoln - and I never get to Omaha, despite being only about 45 miles away or so. Actually, downtown Lincoln has some beautiful art deco buildings - I actually work in one at the day job.

I had a d'oh:eusa_doh: moment on Friday. My local museum has an amazing World War II exhibit that I'd love to work at. So I sent in an application to be a volunteer. I don't know why I haven't thought to volunteer at the museum before - guess it was a lack of time and keeping up with a family, plus a full-time job and freelance work. But now that it's just my daughter and me (my stepsons are going with their dad), I have more time. If nothing else, it will be great for networking since I'm thinking of expanding my MA in history to possibly get into some kind of museum studies program.

Mike K.

One Too Many
24 hours per day - subtract 8 hours work - subtract 7 hours sleep - okay perhaps subtract another couple of hours for shower, dressing, meals, etc.

How much time is left over?

Now, how much of that time gets spent in front of the computer searching through threads on how to locate other singles?

Time to quit polishing the chair with your rump, open the front door, and GET OUT...anywhere, just OUT. Perhaps for the extremely socially timid, grab a shot of vodka somewhere along the way. Unless dating a microchip is appealing, there is only one real way to truly meet people. As for the "retro" aspect, don't worry about it.

Just a silly thought.... ;):p

[By the way, if I weren't sick with a sinus infection right now I wouldn't be online making this post.:(]

Brooksie

One Too Many
Mike K. said:
24 hours per day - subtract 8 hours work - subtract 7 hours sleep - okay perhaps subtract another couple of hours for shower, dressing, meals, etc.

How much time is left over?

Now, how much of that time gets spent in front of the computer searching through threads on how to locate other singles?

Time to quit polishing the chair with your rump, open the front door, and GET OUT...anywhere, just OUT. Perhaps for the extremely socially timid, grab a shot of vodka somewhere along the way. Unless dating a microchip is appealing, there is only one real way to truly meet people. As for the "retro" aspect, don't worry about it.

Just a silly thought.... ;):p

[By the way, if I weren't sick with a sinus infection right now I wouldn't be online making this post.:(]

Hey... I got out yesterday. I went to the farmers market (definitely no one into vintage there lol or single either) then to Goodwill and Salvation Army - I had my eyes glued to the racks of clothes trying to find vintage to really pay attention to anything else.

Brooksie

Spiffy said:
My city does this on the Battleship North Carolina that is currently parked right outside the city. They project old films somewhere on the ship itself. I've never been....but apparently one year they screened Captain Blood!
I'd figure, knowing battleship architecture (and the North Carolina class in particular, long-scrapped sister Washington being a personal favorite), they'd probably set up a portable screen like used for "movies in the park" either on the fantail or in the enlisted mess, two of the biggest spaces available.

Too bad I'm stuck on the wrong coast...;) Is techno-tolerant good enough? (The scores from original Knight Rider and the Terminator series aren't that bad, for non-classical/John Williams...)

----------------
Now playing: John Williams - Belly Of The Steel Beast
via FoxyTunes

Spiffy

A-List Customer
Macheath said:
Not that much of a clash, really since those who like vintage might have eclectic tastes, but it is a bit of a long shot.

Stop crushing my dreams, Macheath!;) That goes for the rest of you, too! I'm a techno-loving, glowstick-twirling, strobe-light-obsessed vintage lover....and I CAN'T be the only one....it would be too dreadful!

Is techno-tolerant good enough? (The scores from original Knight Rider and the Terminator series aren't that bad, for non-classical/John Williams...)

I guess it is....although I'm over John Williams....I have a friend who likes to play the "Okay, guess what score this is?" game in his car. EVERY time we are in his car.[huh]

Macheath

One of the Regulars
Spiffy said:
Stop crushing my dreams, Macheath!;) That goes for the rest of you, too! I'm a techno-loving, glowstick-twirling, strobe-light-obsessed vintage lover....and I CAN'T be the only one....it would be too dreadful

Meh, I don't know Spiffy.

There are plenty of us here with more, erm, reasonable expectations of the hypothetical ideal vintage-loving mate, and while I wish you love and happiness and all that, you're asking for quite a bit, and odds are well against you.

Just sayin'. :p

Hope you find him at Bonnaroo, though, cause he sure as heck ain't gonna be hangin around in good ole North Carolina. ;)

Spiffy said:
Stop crushing my dreams, Macheath!;) That goes for the rest of you, too! I'm a techno-loving, glowstick-twirling, strobe-light-obsessed vintage lover....and I CAN'T be the only one....it would be too dreadful!

I have a friend who likes to play the "Okay, guess what score this is?" game in his car. EVERY time we are in his car.[huh]

They are out there some wheres! To be honest, I think that a lot of people get too wrapped up into a single special or one general type of music and then disdain all others. "I only listen to music by Beethoven as played by Australian Aboriginees on diggeredoos and English keyboardists on Moog synthesizers."

Music appreciation goes to pretty much all genres as long as you can appreciate it as music. (For me this leaves out 99% of all rap and associated sub sets. Also female singers that do that "thing" where they show off their abilities and see how many extra notes they can shovel into their vocals. I always imagine that scene where the King says to Amadeus, "Too many notes!") Modern country usually doesn't get me hooked and old doo wop is the type where a little bit goes a long way. Music always needs a hook.

Film soundtrack and scoring are really amazing. Some of the scores are truly like the best of modern classical music full of emotion from simple melodies to complex and powerful orchestral renditions of sweeping proportions. THe soundtrack cd for Total Recall always calls for high volume on the stereo. Some films introduce or reintroduce popular music, and soundtrack cd's for popular music that I like are The Jackel, Tomb Raiders and Kill Bill one. Also the pop music of the time on the LA Confidential CD.

One of the things that I like to remind people that are rock orientated only that all early rock music was DANCE music.

anon`

One Too Many
Spiffy said:
Stop crushing my dreams, Macheath!;) That goes for the rest of you, too! I'm a techno-loving, glowstick-twirling, strobe-light-obsessed vintage lover....and I CAN'T be the only one....it would be too dreadful
You're not. I'm sort of in that group as well, except that my musical taste tends to be dominated by by metal and various offshoots of industrial. I utterly lack the coordination necessary for the whole glowstick thing, though ;)

Spiffy said:
I guess it is....although I'm over John Williams....I have a friend who likes to play the "Okay, guess what score this is?" game in his car. EVERY time we are in his car.[huh]
Well, I'm not that bad--but the catch is, I don't drive either.:eek: (There are good reasons for this, I have this nasty habit of doing double or triple speed-limit in the simulator...lol) On the other hand, given that most of my personal playlist is Williams, or John Barry's 007 scores... (personally, I thought The Living Daylights had a really neat mix of classical, jazz and a techno twist, but that's just me.)

Strobes and glowlights, on the other hand, could be a problem. (The price of being finely adapted for nocturnal activity...:( )

----------------
Now playing: John Barry - Gunbarrel/Night Mission
via FoxyTunes

So it's in general where people congregate and where the congregating people have all come for a theme that is either vintage or somewhat vintage related.

Books, cars, music, dancing, movies, cultural events.

I'd add wine tastings, although you may not meet anybody vintage there the wine tends to make up for that fact.:eusa_clap

get_atomized

One of the Regulars
As tough as it is to meet eligible bachelorettes seeking the same, I've pretty much given up on the prospect of meeting many queer single ladies who are into vintage clothes. We are rarer than I would have thought. Hipsters and indie kids are about as close as it gets, as far as I have seen. As for the vintage gentlemen, as much as I do appreciate a nicely suited and hatted fella, they seem to have an aversion to dating the type of girl who would like to borrow from their wardrobes! (Not that it would be a one-sided thing, they'd be welcome to mine as well!)

I don't really care for the ladies' dance clubs or bars (I'm not really into contemporary hip hop or remixed Top 40) and I doubt I would find what I'm looking for at most vintage-oriented events. I guess most people don't make the same link in their minds between vintage and queerness that I do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy