Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which A&E Shoe Should I Get?

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
For my birthday, my wife finally got the extereme hints that I wanted a pair of Edmond-Allen shoes.

Being as awesome as she is, she bought me gift certificate from the company.

Now I am looking at the many choices and that leads me to wonder - which shoe should I buy?

I want something in brown (or is chili good?) that laces. A vintage look (short of the Spectors) would be an obvious plus.

Any recommendations from those who already own?

Thanks!

gimmesomeshelte

Familiar Face
Hello-

Well, it would depend on what impression you want to convey. If you want a traditional American gunboat shoe, look at the Leeds in shell cordovan. If you want something more formal, I'd recommend the Niles. If you want something stylish, check out the Westgate. If you want something in between, look at the Hale.

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Do you want something to wear with suits, sportcoats or more casual attire? It all depends on what you want the shoe for.

Gary Crumrine

One of the Regulars
There are certain things any adult male should have: a reliable handgun, an intelligent wife, and a pair of Park Avenues by Allen Edmonds.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Gary Crumrine said:
There are certain things any adult male should have: a reliable handgun, an intelligent wife, and a pair of Park Avenues by Allen Edmonds.

That way, you can reliably shoot the wife when she exercises too much of her intelligence ... and then finish the job with an Allen-Edmonds kick or three.

(Chirpy maxims beg for snappy comebacks.)

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Brian Sheridan said:
A vintage look (short of the Spectors) would be an obvious plus.

Thanks!

Re 'the Spectors' - don't wear them to nightclubs in Hollywood:D :D lol

I like Chili but the MacNeil are good (narrow last) ditto Park Avenues and the Byrons are also good.

There is also a new Italian manafactured line - more expensive- if you want something trendier...

Dagwood

Practically Family
Marc Chevalier said:
That way, you can reliably shoot the wife when she exercises too much of her intelligence ... and then finish the job with an Allen-Edmonds kick or three.

(Chirpy maxims beg for snappy comebacks.)

Now this is why we pay you the big bucks to stick around!! :) An acceptable answer would also have been: When you take your reliable gun, which is wrestled away from you by your more intelligent wife, your Allen-Edmond shoes will help you run away as fast as possible.

I bought these pair recently.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I just passed by the A&E store today here in the citay, let me know if there are some shoze you would like some pics of and Ill see if they will let me snap a few :)

LD

anselmo1

One of the Regulars
The Leeds in Burgundy Shell Cordovan

If it were my money, I wouldn't hesitate to purchase the Allen Edmonds Leeds in burgundy shell cordovan. Here is a picture:

LeedsShellCordovan.jpg

carter

I'll Lock Up

I'm with Dagwood on the AE Ramsey. They make a matching belt as well.
The Wilbert is a nice casual oxford.
The Ashland is a very nice wingtip.
The Sanford is my favorite, a peforated medallion captoe. :)
I also have a pair of older oxblood oxfords but don't know the name for the style.

Whatever you choose, you'll be pleased. :)

1911 Man

A-List Customer
:eek:fftopic:
I have a question for you Allen Edmonds owners.
I just purchased a new pair of black Park Avenues, and have worn them 3 or 4 times now, for about 3-4 hours each time. They still feel a bit uncomfortable across the top of my foot. :mad: Do Allen Edmonds take a little while to break in? Will they flex a little more in the coming weeks? I would think for the price they would be more comfortable. I own two pair of Aldens, and they seemed to break in the first day. Does this mean I should spend the extra money and only buy Aldens from now on, or will the Allen Edmonds be better soon? Any helpful tips to soften them up a bit?
Thank you

AlanC

It may simply be a matter of the last the AEs are on. It sounds like you may have a high instep that does not work well fit wise with the Park Avenue. You might want to try some other AE models on different lasts to find one that fits better. AE will be offering a new captoe model in the spring called the Soho, which is very sharp looking and on a new 'Italian' last.

Unless the fit is just unbearable, I would think the PAs would open up over time. If you got them from Nordstrom, I think they might still take them back. My understanding is they have a very generous return policy.

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
Thanks for all of the comments.

MY selections have been narrowed down to two, both in chili:

#1 Hampstead. I need a shoe I can wear with many things and this looks like it fits the bill.

Hampstead.jpg

Or #2 The Weybridge which is new for 07

Weybridge.jpg

On to the final selection!

Mike in Seattle

Myself, I love the Hampstead. When the point comes I'm ready to buy a pair of AE's, that's what I'm getting. I think they're a lot snappier than the Weybridge, and the Weybridge seem a little dressier, and may be more limited in what they look right with. Hampsteads look like they'd be equally appropriate for a dressy occasion as well as something a little less formal, a little more casual IMHO.

When I hit the Lotto, it's going to be a tough decision who to place the first order with - AE or Art Fawcett or Indy Magnoli!

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
AlanC said:
Hmmm. Are you sure nominations shouldn't be re-opened?

I take it you do not approve. That's cool. That's why I asked for comments.

The thing I like about those two is that they don't look like any other company's shoes. I have a cap-toed Oxford so the Park Aves are out. I'm also not a big fan of standard wingtips.

johnnycanuck

I had a pair of Bourbon/Bone McClain's brought in at the beginning of the summer and have not regretted it. Been thinking of getting the same in chili for winter wear. Just need to get it past the wife first. :)
Johnny

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner