Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which moto jacket maker?

Bonneville

One of the Regulars
I will be getting a quality moto jacket for the first time shortly and thought I would run the question by the members here for some solid advice.

Unfortunately I live in an area where there are no outlets for premium jackets, I actually don't think I have ever handled real quality leather; the motorcycle jackets available locally, while not cheap, seem to have an awfully spongy 'hand' to them, ...extremely soft and pliable, the leather while thick does not feel dense at all. (yuck!).

The jacket makers I'm looking at are: Vanson, Schott, Langlitz and Fox Creek. Not sure if I want "naked" cowhide or a lightly finished 'steerhide'. I do know that I want a 1.2 - 1.4 mm non spongy leather that will end up looking fabulous after 5 years use.

Would you be kind enough to offer me your opinion as to which one you might go with based on the above considerations. I would greatly appreciate it.

Cheers, Ted.

TheSnark

One of the Regulars
The "spongy" feel you refer to is most likely naked leather (probably with felt backing). It is very soft and pliable, but also quite tough. If you don't like the feel of naked leather, Fox Creek is probably off your list - all their jackets are naked leather. Of the other manufacturers you mentioned, my preference would be Langlitz, Vanson, and Schott (in that order). Lost Worlds also offers very high grade cowhide jackets as an option now, and in terms of quality I would put them close to Langlitz (and I don't know of any cowhide jackets better than Langlitz).

Happy hunting and keep us posted on your decision!

Ace Rimmer

One of the Regulars
Bonneville said:
I will be getting a quality moto jacket for the first time shortly and thought I would run the question by the members here for some solid advice.

Ted,

As you want a "moto" jacket I'm assuming you're a rider. If so, of the companies on your list only Vanson and Fox Creek offer armored jackets. That may help you narrow your options. I own several armored Vansons and am very happy with them.

captaincaveman1

A-List Customer
^^ what he said. While I own a few Schotts, I wouldn't trust them as regular riding jackets.

Proper riding jackets don't need to made out of of 4oz thick hides or cost mega bucks for that matter. Look for good seams as in double or triple stitching in the impact areas and built in armor. For comfort, look for mesh lining as well as perforations or zipered vents.

Vanson and Foxcreek make fine gear. With a little digging you'll find some of the major moto-brands also sell jackets with a retro-flavor, like a*, Dainese, Tourmaster, Riverroad, Fieldsheer.

Again, Schott's 141 and Perfecto jackets were state of the art 50 years ago but times have moved on... Same goes for Langlitz. They look cool and for those reasons alone they are worth owning. BUT, they don't offer even the basic amenities you come to expect nowadays at the 300 dollar price point...

Peacoat

Bartender
If you want a pliable leather (doesn't sound as if you do) then Fox Creek with armor is a good choice for a riding jacket. If you want a thick "stand alone" jacket in cowhide, then Vanson is your jacket. The Fox Creek comes broken in out of the box, while the Vanson will take a lot of work to make it comfortable to wear, either on or off the bike.

If I knew I was going down* and knew I was going to hit on my forearm, shoulder or elbow, I would wear the Fox Creek, as it is armored in those areas. If I didn't know where I would hit, I would wear the Vanson as it is thick leather and would give good protection for a slide in any location. The Fox Creek is also thick leather and should give good slide protection wherever the slide might be. The Vanson seems to be much tougher leather than the Fox Creek and might give overall better protection. My Vanson is not armored, but some models are available with armor.

_____
*If I knew I was going to go down on a ride, I wouldn't wear either jacket, as I wouldn't go on the ride that day.

Bonneville

One of the Regulars
Thanks guys. The more I look at the Vanson 'B' model the more I like it. I would however try to order it with the Enfield collar and a single panel on the back also like the Enfield. (Don't know how much of a problem that might be.) [or conversely a shorter Enfield with zip pockets.)

I'm wondering if I would find the comp. weight to be too onerous though. Some here seem to love it but I have read a couple of posts wherein the comp. weight was found to be "too much jacket" (even to the point of hurting shoulders on one guy). I have a 1.1 -1.2 mm jacket now which I don't find heavy really so maybe it wouldn't be a problem.

Also kinda partial to the Schott 641 steerhide and their 689H too. I like their full one piece backs with no kidney belt type lower panels. Very clean look which the Vanson 'B' model shares.
*(If "theman" reads this post can you please pm me, I would pm you but don't have the clearance yet.)

captaincaveman1

A-List Customer
641 and 689 are fine garments. I have a 689 and will one day get a 641. 689 is more of a fall/winter coat rather than a proper riding jacket - its too warm for temps over 55 degrees.

You have a thin build? Keep in mind both are cut to vintage patterns which is what I prefer but they will fit tight for anyone w/ a "stocky" build. If you notice, other Schott jackets like the 118 and 141 have a baggier fit tailored for the modern american physique. lol lol

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
I have both an armored Vanson Teton and a Enfield and it's like comparing a large SUV to a regular car. Obviously I really feel much more protected when I'm in a suit of armor, but when you want to go shopping at the mall or similar, it's a lot of jacket to carry around. If I had to choose one only for my scoot, it would be the Teton; but I'm happy to have both for when I want a bike and a regular jacket in one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot