Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which Pecards product do I need?

J.W.

A-List Customer
Hello everyone,

I won a leather jacket on ebay and it is in need of some care. Especially the sleeves show signs of wear, as the color is coming off.

Sleeve1_zpsde3c45ac.jpg

As Pecards seems to be the recommended brand on FL, I've been wondering which of their products I need. If you have got any suggestions for a shop where I can buy it online and get it shipped to Europe, I'd be very grateful.
I'll try to post a picture of the jacket later, at the moment I don't seem to be able to upload a file.

Last edited:

armscye

One of the Regulars
Pecard's one of several choices

You don't mention if the leather is dry, or simply losing its color.

In my experience treating about 25 jackets, and doing a fair amount of experimentation, if it is dry, the best initial treatment is Lexol. Lexol is a water-based oil emulsion that penetrates through leather very well, and really gets into the inner middle dermis of the hide. It's essentially the consumer version of the industrial compounds used to add oil to partially finished hides-- at tanneries, one of the final steps is to tumble the hide in a heated solution of waterborne emulsified oil, in a process called "Fat Liquoring." I have treated board-stiff leather with 2-3 coats of lexol, applied hot (I microwave it before applying until it's steaming slightly), and had it soften up old jackets beautifully. Lexol can sometimes penetrate too well-- it can lightly stain linings by soaking if applied too heavily-- so keep each coat light. I apply it with a paintbrush, with the jacket laid out horizontally.

Pecard's then makes a nice "topcoat", though i do not believe it penetrates nearly as deep as Lexol.

If your jacket is soft but has faded color, Pecards wax (the buttery stuff in the tub) will darken the leather temporarily, "blend in" the color variations, and give the area a more supple/oiled look, but in my experience it will not permanently darken leather. Obenauf's wax finish seems to darken a shade or two, though it can also leave a slight cream-colored residue that is apparently beeswax.

To actually recolor a brown jacket would involve getting into a deep topic-- dyes and dye types, stripping of old finishes, and specialized application methods like sponging. Dyes of course undo all the patina that so many on this board love, as well.

Pecards and Lexol are really quite different. I've never had a leather piece like the pic above, so I can't comment on what to do with that. The areas where the top finish are gone are going to suck up lots of whatever you apply. I'd be careful not to saturate the leather with anything. It's basically a sponge. Personally, if it were in front of me, I'd probably try the Lexol first - applied with a sponge as to have better control of the amount being used. I know others here have a lot of time with very old WWII era jackets, so I'd wait for them to chime in as well. I know Aero sells a product (not their own) called "Leatherique" that many recommend also. Get more data before moving forward.
Let's see the whole jacket! :)

I used Pecards Antique Leather Dressing to soften up my 80s leather jacket that had been in the garage for 10 years.
It took 2 coats and I really rubbed in a lot and hung it in the closet for a week in between coatings. I might try that Lexol trick...as it needs a bit more to be really pliable. Pecards does darken the leather, and minimize the patina though. Just be aware...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo